[SOLVED] Frustrating internet issue with only ONE computer in the house

Feb 11, 2022
Hello, I apologise if I'm not writing in the correct place, I just made an account because I've been scouring the internet for a while now trying to find someone with the same issue as mine but I just can't.

I've come across an issue I am unable to fix, and I really don't want to do a windows reset again. My internet is fine according to Ookla's speedtest and my ISP, which gives me 110Mbps (~11MB/s give or take) and that's what I'm paying for, which I'm happy with. However, I only ever get this speed on Google-related sites such as YouTube and Drive. When I try to access literally any other site my internet speed is 0.3Mbps. I used testmy.net for this and it reflects the actual speed I've been dealing with.

I've tried doing console flushdns cmds, I've tried the netsh winsock thing, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for my internet, I've tried power cycling, I've tried changing the DNS servers, I've tried changing IPv4/6 addresses, I've tried pretty much everything other than actually replacing the network card/resetting my windows. I've verified that I have no viruses on my PC via Windows' in-built detector, Malwarebytes, I uninstalled Malwarebytes and used Trend Micro, and nothing was found in all three.

At this point I think something may be seriously limiting my bandwith/internet, and do note that it only occurs on ONE PC, all phones, the PS4, other laptops & PCs work perfectly fine, so it's isolated. I also use ethernet so wireless is ruled out too. I honestly don't know what to do right now. Thank you if anyone tries to help.

Solution
I would try to disable IPv6 support in the settings on the ethernet port. It could be that some sites are using ipv4 and others ipv6 and you get inconsistent performance. For unkown reasons ipv6 seem to perform very poorly for many people

Ralston18

Titan
"do note that it only occurs on ONE PC "

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows OS information.

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on that ONE PC.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Feb 11, 2022
"do note that it only occurs on ONE PC "

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows OS information.

Verify that only one network adapter is enabled on that ONE PC.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1466]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-EIJI8B2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-22-0B-4C-DF-AC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:e68:541d:d731:a038:d197:7d7:9da0(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:e68:541d:d731:78f5:697d:ab80:80fe(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a038:d197:7d7:9da0%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.161(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 11, 2022 1:20:34 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 11, 2022 3:20:34 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::36e8:94ff:fe48:ec44%4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 78389771
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-D6-F8-FD-AC-22-0B-4C-DF-AC
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:e68:🅱68
2001:e68:🅱69
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Windscribe VPN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-36-D9-CD-F4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Windows\system32>

Motherboard: Sabertooth 990 FX
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 Core
GPU: GTX950
RAM: 8GBDDR3
PSU: Corsair VS650
Version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044
1TB HDD, 111GB SSD, 800GB External HDD (unused)

How do I verify that only one network adapter is enabled? I'm sorry, I'm not really tech-savvy.

Feb 11, 2022
I would try to disable IPv6 support in the settings on the ethernet port. It could be that some sites are using ipv4 and others ipv6 and you get inconsistent performance. For unkown reasons ipv6 seem to perform very poorly for many people

I disabled IPv6, and it seems to have done something, and after re-enabling it my internet seems fine too. I'm not sure if this fixed the issue or not so I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the speeds are fine again. The speed on testmy.net shows as 40Mbps up from 0.3 and the Ookla speedtest shows 110Mbps as usual.

If this did fix the problem, I cannot thank you enough. You have saved me from a massive headache. If it doesn't work by tomorrow, oh well, that's fine too. It's working now and that's what matters. Thank you so much!

Feb 11, 2022
I disabled IPv6, and it seems to have done something, and after re-enabling it my internet seems fine too. I'm not sure if this fixed the issue or not so I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the speeds are fine again. The speed on testmy.net shows as 40Mbps up from 0.3 and the Ookla speedtest shows 110Mbps as usual.

If this did fix the problem, I cannot thank you enough. You have saved me from a massive headache. If it doesn't work by tomorrow, oh well, that's fine too. It's working now and that's what matters. Thank you so much!

It fixed the problem! I have no internet issues right now, thank you so much!