Fujitsu Announces 3D Object Detection For Car Radars

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Ushing in another generation who drives worse than the previous due to reliance on technology. It all started with the automatic[/citation]

so i take it that you have a car that is so low to the ground that nothing behind you could ever be in a blind spot?

this would be great for any big cat in a home with pets or kids.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
just build an AESA/SAR systems into the car. Cant do it? hire Raytheon systems to do it at the price of an arm, a leg, a wife and children.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Ushing in another generation who drives worse than the previous due to reliance on technology. It all started with the automatic[/citation]

Believe it or not, because of this technology accidents have been dropping in percentage. The more we make cars safe, the better.

I would much rather have automated vehicles then have some short tempered guy driving in the morning without his coffee, screaming and yelling at all the vehicles around him for not "Going fast enough".

On a serious note though, driving is driving. Whether you drive an old ford standard, or a 2013 ford automatic, they both require the ability to focus on the road and park.

So I fail to see why you're complaining.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Automatic transmission has its pros and cons, the same with automatic drill vs manual drill, or nail gun vs hammer and nail, but it's not the issue. The same with anti-lock brakes. Only idiots or people who don't know what anti-lock brakes are would say that they're a bad thing. In what universe would being able to maneuver your car while braking be a bad thing? That's what anti-lock brakes allows you to do.

Just like with computers, 90% of the time the problem is the user. Cars or computers are just tools, and since the dawn of man problems have always been caused by lack of proper discipline. Like, how many people have died because texting while driving, or drunk drivers? I could take the easy route and say "it all started with alcohol" or "it all started with cell phones", but that's just shifting focus from the real problem.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Believe it or not, because of this technology accidents have been dropping in percentage. The more we make cars safe, the better.[/citation]

Better training... hell, the US has basically no driver's training !
Germany's Autobahn, no speed limit... has a lower fatality rate then the I-95 in Florida.
Of course they have some serious mandatory drivers training over there and even more serious mandatory car inspections every other year.

We do not need more gadgets that make people feel complacent (and which they typically do not know how to use in the first place), we need to show them how to drive a damn car properly at speed.

"Seeing" the objects does not seem to be an issue; there are detectors that do just that fine.
"Recognizing" the object AND making a real-time decision about it is what will take a good while to see properly implemented. Google's cars are a good start, but this is about high-speed collision prevention using a system that has to do what normal human brains do in the same amount of time or less.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
am i missing something? what good is this going to do as im driving 80+ mph on the highway? will it read the sign then complain that im speeding? or that someone jumped in front of me as im already hitting them? unless this is for an automated driving system i fail to see any use except for maybe 18 wheelers with blind spots but then again there are already cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.