Fujitsu Launching Build-It-Yourself PC Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Why is this AD here on Tom's?
Most people here already build their own systems anyways, (I know I do for about 2 decades now).
Anybody else that reads/visits Tom's are usually more knowledgeable to use this "service", or at least
are SMART enough to ask the rest of us. (which are the majority)

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know how they are going to do this. My tower CPU heatsink/fan HAS to be installed onto the mobo BEFORE it's installed in the case. Oh well, who knows?

EzioAs

Distinguished
It's actually very simple to build a PC.
If you don't know how to build a PC, watch NCIX Tech Tips videos on Youtube.
If you don't know about components selection, Tom's Hardware and tons of other forums are there to help.

G

Both NOTEBOOK and desktop PCs. I would love a notebook KIT just leave space for TWO thunderbolt ports or more! A SATA bay for hot swapable hard drive caddys, DVD/Blueray players etc. Ditto for descrete graphics cards!, and 4 channels of memory slots! Be sure to leave plenty of Knockouts around the notebook
or all the necessary usb 3.0 and outher ports!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"Normally with PC construction kits, the customer must personally manage a number of very specific procedures, such as system wiring, which if not performed accurately, could lead to system failure," the company said. "Performing such tasks properly typically requires a high level of computer knowledge. With this in mind, the new service provides the necessary components, while at the same time deploying instructors and technical staff to explain and support assembly."

haha.... hahahahahahahahahaha!
ehehe...
heh...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Eh....
There are now only two different critical cables inside a PC: SATA, and POWER(unless you have others like internal USB headers, etc etc, but this is just an EXAMPLE).

Their sockets won't match if you have the wrong ones, and you can't insert them backwards unless you force them....

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
If I was a PC supplier, I wouldn't want people building the systems. You know how many of them put the CPU in backwards? AMD or Intel won't take back physically damaged parts. Good luck.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Yep... I had a cpu making to much noise once, so i let all the smoke out of the smoke operated component, and it got nice and quite! I mean just, wow.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Although the desktop side is really late to the game, I notice that they mention notebooks. That would be interesting since I don't know anywhere you can ground up build your own laptop. I had wished forever that the same kind of DIY environment we see with desktops would migrate over to laptops. Now it's at the point where laptops might not be around all that much longer, and of all people it looks like Fujitsu is the one that decides they'll give it a shot?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
the motherboard will already be pre-installed to "reduce detailed processes" like using screws
Heaven forbid anyone who thinks about building their own PC from parts do anything as remotely technical such as using a screwdriver. A chimpanzee could probably do it.

lp231

Splendid
Idea sound great that everyone learns, but there are some out there who thinks by building a computer automatically makes them a expert as a computer technician. It doesn't work that way, knowing how to build a computer doesn't automatically mean they know how to fix it!
It's like a person who managed to screw in a light bulb and now he runs off telling his neighbors he can fix their electrical problems, as if the light bulb automatically make him become a electrician.
IMO, Fujitsu probably did this is so end users get familiar with the components thus leading to better communication when they need technical support.

G

So many narrow minded haters. Apparently you all built notebooks all the time.. Right.

This is marketed for elementary aged kids in Japan. I think this is a great way to get kids interested in computer technology. Ever looked up where USA ranks v Japan in technology education?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]obvious haters gonna hate obviously[/nom]I think this is a great way to get kids interested in computer technology. Ever looked up where USA ranks v Japan in technology education?[/citation]

You would be a great asset for changing my parents' minds. They believe the key to an engineer's success is to study, not play around with DIY projects.

To get my point across, they prohibited me from participating in any summer engineering programs or build my own projects as they saw it as a waste of time.

And they gave me college algebra homework and an SAT study guide.

For Christmas.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom].And they gave me college algebra homework and an SAT study guide.For Christmas.[/citation]
Oh man, I'm sorry, but that was funny!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
to "reduce detailed processes" like using screws and plugging in the power switch connector.
best line ever.

Anyway, while it was kind of lame to read this for desktops, i guess it'll help the general public. I mean, my generation has grown up with computers (Windows 95 onwards), but most of them still keep calling the entire cabinet+components inside it the "CPU". Whoever knows a bit more thinks that the CPU cooler is the CPU. *sigh*

What i really like is the idea of building your own laptop, i've always wanted to make a custom built one, nothing out there quite satisfies portability, performance and cooling at the same time, unless it empties your wallet completely.

EzioAs

Distinguished

True, custom desktop parts aren't much of a problem, there's thousands of parts at a wide range of prices, but custom laptops on the other hand will be really REALLY great if it would be more viable. I've always wanted the option of having the parts you want at a cost that isn't a budget killer and I know almost all people would really agree on custom laptops especially since some manufacturers put unbalanced components in their laptops and sell it at a ridiculous price.

AusVip3r

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You would be a great asset for changing my parents' minds. They believe the key to an engineer's success is to study, not play around with DIY projects.To get my point across, they prohibited me from participating in any summer engineering programs or build my own projects as they saw it as a waste of time.And they gave me college algebra homework and an SAT study guide.For Christmas.[/citation]
What year are you in? I'm currently well into a Civil eng degree at uni and most of it is theory, very little has been hands on. I guess if your planning to do mechanical that's a different story. But i never did anything remotely related to engineering when i was at school during class or holidays. I don't think it will really help with your future degree but if you enjoy it why don't your parents just let you do it for fun. It's during your holidays so sounds like your pretty keen, don't see any reasons for your parents to bar you unless it's too expensive?

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Fantastic idea!

This is a very good thing with all kinds of benefits.
It's a service where they can charge money for while the customer actually gets something in return!
Unlike all those fads with cloud and other stuff.

I guess there are people who would want to do it but for some reason don't want to do this without some guidance. For reasons such as e.g. lack of experience.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ausvip3r[/nom]What year are you in? I'm currently well into a Civil eng degree at uni and most of it is theory, very little has been hands on. I guess if your planning to do mechanical that's a different story. But i never did anything remotely related to engineering when i was at school during class or holidays. I don't think it will really help with your future degree but if you enjoy it why don't your parents just let you do it for fun. It's during your holidays so sounds like your pretty keen, don't see any reasons for your parents to bar you unless it's too expensive?[/citation]

Money isn't a problem, according to them. I plan on majoring in civil or manufacturing engineering at University of Illinois as I enjoy tinkering with stuff (without my parents noticing). Sometimes I'll draw detailed plans, and it goes into the garbage within a few minutes into a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.