Fujitsu Submerges Its Waterproof Smartphones & Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Now lets try to do the same with Hard Drives.
We don't want another "watery situation" again.

Let's make Hard Drives water proof.

I got to run now to Patent this "water proof Hard Drive" idea before an avid Apple reader sees it.
/sarcasm

G

water proof hard drives = no stock loss when flood hits! genius!!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Sir, my waterproof phone got short-circuited with water when I took it to my bathtub."

"We're sorry, but our warranty covers everything BUT water damage."

"WTF..."

Some manufacturers pull that kind of B.S. on their products.

G

can i make my whole pc desktop waterproof? what about geforce gtx etc etc etc the list goes on.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
"It's too bad that other manufacturers don't do offer the same level of engineering on their products. (My last Android phone fell victim to a recent thunderstorm"

no phone is thunderstorm proof. just be more careful next time. It's your fault you ruined your device.

G

people see this as a funny thing but it's truly a great step forward. A rugged waterproof/sandproof device could be used in the third-world, for education, for smaller children (who tend to break things). if it had a PixelQi screen, it could be used outside in the sun or in the rain.
I wish all companies did this with their tablets/laptops/smartphones.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
What about the capacitive touch screen? Wouldn't its operation be affected by contact with water?

Ports could probably be done like PowerMat for charging, and optical for communication, maybe integrating something similar to Apple's MagSafe connector. I love to see technology companies pushing the envelope of rugged design. :)

prophetzarquon

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
The more I use capacitive touch phones, the more convinced I am that my ten year old Palm Treo was better: Resistive touch screen that worked fine with gloves, finger, stylus, anything! Tough, stiff (not rubber!) physical keyboard that was far more responsive than Evo, iPhone 4 or even the Win7 phones I have used. Better Contact-to-Calendar-to-Alarm integration than any but Win7 (which is built in BTW). Even after paying serious cash for apps on iPhone, or rooting and tweaking Androids, the old Palm OS (not Web OS) made modern "smart" phones feel like toys with little real, mature, functionality.

Little known fact: Ports don't have to be covered if their internal housings are sealed. And once connected, metal contacts conduct better than salt water so most jacks work fine when submerged. It's the device housing and assembly itself that usually fails to seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.