Full reset has been on MSI screen for 2 hours

Andrew Peskett

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Hi, I did the full reset of Windows 10 and its just been on the MSI motherboard screen for 2 hours with a spinning circle. Is this standard and if not what should I do?

Solution
is the hard drive light showing signs of life?

how big is boot drive? if several tb it might take a while to clear it.

if it shows no signs of life shortly, I would think its possible the reset isn't working. I would do a fresh install instead as resets tend to break a lot.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win...

Colif

Win 11 Master
is the hard drive light showing signs of life?

how big is boot drive? if several tb it might take a while to clear it.

if it shows no signs of life shortly, I would think its possible the reset isn't working. I would do a fresh install instead as resets tend to break a lot.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution