Fully functioning Windows 8 hard drive not booting in older Gateway (DX4640)

YamaRider

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I was wanting to utilize my older tower since I have storage for more drives, etc, versus my newer Gateway SX model. The SX model has a fully functioning Windows 8 OS on it. The older DX4640 model had Vista so I was just planning on removing the hard drive from newer computer and placing in the DX model (older). Bios recognizes the hard drive, yet when I boot the drive it gets the Gateway splash screen, then reverts to black screen with blinking underscore/dash. Any ideas? Something told me it couldn't be as simple as swapping drives...

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

I would first try changing your BIOS settings in the Gateway SX. Go into the BIOS, using the F2 or Delete key, then select your RAID/SATA mode into Legacy or ATA, instead of AHCI.

It should then try to boot. It still may give you a BSOD when booting though. Vista is not nice with changing hardware.

YamaRider

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Can I do that though? I thought I can only do that if the drive is in the computer I will be using it in? In other words, I'd only be able to change bios settings in the dx4640, and if I change them in the SX series, then it will only mantain those changes in the SX. I'm trying to get the drive to work in the DX, and the original drive that had Vista in it is corrupt and I have no means of reinstalling Vista.

YamaRider

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Well I will have to find a way to get windows 8 onto my other drive then and go from there. I did have a Vista reinstall disk but after I formatted the drive it was, on I was getting an error something along the line of "installation failed due to removable disk being unplugged" or something like that. I had a photo of the screen image I took with my phone I can post later. I made no partition and left it all open to install Vista to...but no dice.

skitszo

Honorable
You can learn to make a USB installer for vista.

but as mentioned you'll have to do a new install for that hardrive... if you have data you want to keep; to me just buy a new hard drive and use that as a secondary storage.

Hi

A gateway pc will have oem windows which means it is only licensed for use on gateway motherboards

Even if you made a bootable windows 8 usb or dvd recovery disk and suceed in installing it
It will warn you it is counterfeit, probably with usage restrictions for a while

Buy a new windows 7 retail for the old vista pc or if short of money a free linux disk image

Regards
Mike Barnes

YamaRider

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I hope I'm not confusing anyone in my replies, as I'm mobile and not seeing a reply to link, are you saying I'd have to take the hard drive from my newer Gateway, install it into older Gateway, and do a reinstall of Window 8? I would still be sitting there with a perfectly working hard drive with a one week old installation of Windows 8. I'm also at work, I'm a machinist so I'm kind of reading quickly and getting back to my work, sorry if I'm coming off as confused. I have about 20 different things going on in my head right now and trying to see what I'll need to do once I get home.

USAFRet

Titan

Bottom line:
The OS needs to be installed on the drive, in the system where it will live.

YamaRider

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

^bottom line.

I already grasped that concept, as you can see, by my needing to "find a way to get Windows 8 onto my other drive" statement.

Everyone else, thanks for your help. I may try to save myself the headache and just stick with my SX model. Little to no expansion options outside of an SSD upgrade. Microsoft however should have a copy of 8 I can download, but I'll more than likely need to buy a new key.