Jul 29, 2024
Hello all,

A few days ago there was a thunder storm in my area. During which the power went out and (not having my computer connected to a power strip or ups, a thing broke. Specifically my SSD broke. I figured this out after trying to boot up and seeing a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message. I checked BIOS and saw the only storage on my PC was my Seagate 14TB HDD. I tried swapping the sata cables but still only the HDD would appear.
Important note* I ran windows off my SSD and only used my HDD to store some larger files.

So trying to make my pc useable, I made a new windows USB to install onto my HDD but I found out you cannot do this while retaining the data that was on it. So I got a sata to USB connecter and tried plugging the HDD into both my newer Mac and older HP, so I could transfer the data off the HDD to the laptops then install windows on the HDD and later transfer the files somewhere else.

This brings me to my new issue, with the SATA to USB connector both laptops are not recognizing the HDD even though in BIOS on my broken windows PC it recognizes the HDD. Any one know what I could do to fix this mess?

Thanks

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Is your HDD 3.5 Inch?
How about SATA to USB adapter. Does it require separate power?
Can you share the product page or info etc?
It could be that the 14TB is way beyond the specs of the adapter.
Just a few preliminary thoughts.

Jul 29, 2024

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
The Amazon link resolves to my region specific Amazon site. So I am not able to see the exact product. I am just sharing an image of an adapter that I have. See the specs, it says Storage 6TB. What this means that the adapter has a limitation of supporting only up to max 6TB HDD.

Anything beyond that may not get detected. Check with vendor the details specs as they tend to hide such info sometimes.

DAQpqg5.png

In the meantime what I suggest is use any Live Windows PE based disk, (e.g. Hiren Boot DVD) boot your PC thru that and copy the data to another HDD/SSD hooked to the internal SATA port.

Reactions: warspc
Jul 29, 2024
14TB in 2.5" format?

It may still require 12v power.

The USB adapter can only supply the 5v.

Get a different adapter. A toaster style dock might work.
Wait your right it was a 3.5in format I just always in my now dead PC used a regular sata and data cables, what does the extra little 4 pin thing do?

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: warspc
Solution