Question FurMark 2 hotspot temp ?

seniorfiance

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022
I have been dealing with my PC black-screening sporadically after some heavy gaming, as described in my original forum post here. Since then, I have discovered quite a bit and wanted to see if a new perspective could help get me some answers.

What I've done:
- Ran Mem86 to make sure RAM was alright
- Replaced PSU
- Clean install of Windows
- Updated GPU drivers

One thing I noticed was that my PC would black screen, however I could still hear audio fine and it seemed like things were still running, the display itself had just been forcibly turned off. Then, when digging around in the Event Viewer, I found an error log talking about the display driver nvlddmk failing, after looking at some other forums many were pointing to a potential GPU issues. They especially spoke about issues with overheating, which I had never worried about because I monitor temps very closely and my GPU never goes above 75 C.

Well, I decided to try FurMark 2 for posterity's sake, well sure enough it was maxing at 75 C, however I noticed a "hotspot" bar that was at a whopping 104C. Could someone explain what this hotspot temp means and could it relate to my issues here? Is there a way to fix whatever it is, or do I just need to replace the GPU?

Screenshot of FurMark 2

I appreciate any help here.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could someone explain what this hotspot temp means and could it relate to my issues here?
Hot spot is the hottest reading from one of many sensors on the gpu die at any point in time.
From what I've observed across many temperature threads, approximately 20C or below is typical for the gap between core and hot spot when gpu is under load. The temperature limit for hot spot on Geforce cards appears to be 110C, as I don't recall ever seeing anyone report higher than that for the last few generations.

Is there a way to fix whatever it is, or do I just need to replace the GPU?
The gpu die just needs a fresh coat of paste.

Reactions: seniorfiance