Future Proofing!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tsawind

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hey, I have never build a computer before, but I'm waiting to get my old 4800+ from the shop, chipset fan melted and I couldn't get the bios to work... didnt know a fan was burned up, found out that 3 of my 4 corsair ddr ram chips were burned up and I owe the guy $100 when he puts the fan in.

Anyways I'm sick of all those issues so I am going to try to build one from scratch, I've picked the GA-790FXTA-UD5, drop the phenom II quad for 2-4 years, going to get a baddass case with like 8 fans, some type of corsair Power prolly like 1250 watt?? And I would like to use my ram @ 1866 w/ 8 gbs, I see some gskill 4gb cards, what kind of ram can I get to future-proof this rig, or should I wait and get new ram with a new processor in 2 years to get maximum performance?? Then i'de just slap in 4x1gb and runn @ 1333 if I could.

I plan on making it air cooled and having 2x SSD drives in RAID 0 Via SATA 6gbp/s, running quads or better @ 4-5ghz and having 8gb+ of Fast Ass Name Brand DDR3 Ram! I'm talking in 3 years time, when the new stuff comes out I should be good to do that right?

I hate when things break, so I'm trying to build something that's going to last me probably 10 years, upgrading when prices are right, or the right tech comes out. My computer is on 24/7/365 and I think with these components I could build a system to stay overclocked and cool, so when I walk in the door I can move the mouse turn a 1080p movie on one screen, and turn on the most BA game on another and listen to this baby scream!

I know my post is getting a little long, but i'm just need some help with the RAM, and to see if i'm on the right track. I am getting tempted to just but the board and case just so I got it then my g/f cant stop me from saving for the parts in the next year lol!!

Thanks for the insight guys!! This is a big long term investment for me.

That's only one benchmark. Pasting the link to the full comparison doesn't work. Click the box next to each CPU, then click Compare at the top to see all of the benchmarks.

All of the benchmarks point to the i7, except a couple of the gaming ones which don't matter for CPUs (because the GPU is always the bottleneck, so the maximum that part can do is what determines what the whole computer can do). We're talking differences in the real CPU benchmarks like a whole minute off using video editing in Adobe Premiere, a full minute off virus scans with AVG, and 40 seconds off compressing with WinRAR.

Tsawind

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Whoa at the rate tech moves just buy what u need - future proofing is sometimes a way people rationalise forking out obscene amounts of $$ for what they want not need lol

If u need a HTPC and dun have those projectors, LCDs, etc *now* just pair up an AthlonII X3 and a 785G AM3/DDR3 mobo with HDMI/SPDIF and 2GB DDR3 ...

Ok... Apparently you haven't listened to anything I've been saying...

To start, if you're buying over time, I wouldn't buy the board first. The PSU, case and optical drives are the best things to buy early, as the likelihood of failure is low and the prices don't fluctuate much. After that, I would go with RAM and HSF as the next purchases. The the HDD, as the tech does change fairly quick. The very last thing I would buy is the GPU, CPU and board. The GPU prices change pretty quickly. CPUs' prices don't really change, but the specific chip in the price range will. Once the 6 core CPUs come out, I'd bet that the CPUs will slip down at least a level as far as prices (i.e. the i7-920 will probably be about the price of the i5-750 is now). The board is dependent on the CPU, so until you know exactly which one you're buying, you shouldn't buy a board.

The 5750's are just not a good idea. At about the same price is the 5770, which offer about 15-20% better performance. Last I checked, it was literally a 1 to 1 price to performance ratio for the increase.

Crossfiring right away is also a horrible idea. You lose an entire upgrade path and ensure you spend more money very soon by buying lesser cards.

Not only are you buying very small drives, they are also very slow. Assuming you mean to put them in RAID 0, they still are drastically underpowered compared to buying 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB at only $13 more.

Corsair RAM is ridiculously expensive. If you picked up two sets of G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $230, not only would you save money, you'd also get faster sticks.
You will NEVER need 1000W. You can put the HD 5970 in Trifire (6 cards total) and still be under the need for 1000W.

Again, the AMD build will make the PC a lot slower and have no advantages at your price range.

That CPU cooler is not a good idea. It's not only more expensive than many, but it's also louder and doesn't keep things as cool.

I'm not exactly getting what was wrong with the build I gave you. If it was too expensive, don't say you have a $10K budget for 3 LCDs, a 1080p projector, and the tower. There's also a lot of thing I can cut out of it (like CL 7 RAM instead of CL 6, which saves a good $200+) to make it cheaper without losing any noticeable performance. Besides the RAM change, you could easily drop out the SSD (or switch to a smaller one), find a cheaper BluRay drive, and drop the TV tuners (pointless IMO, as they can't go through cable or satellite). You could even drop the HD 5970 to a 5870 with plans to Crossfire later, or drop the extra 6 GB of RAM for the base build. All of these changes would likely save you a total of around $1,300.