FX 6300 or 8320/50 2015? Budget

xKAREN

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Hi, i can get FX 6300 twice cheaper than FX 8320 and about 2.5 times cheaper than fx 8350.
Should i get the FX 6300? Will it bottleneck GTX 970?
Will overclocking it to 4.0 make it perform as well as 8320?

Solution
FX-6300 will last you a year for sure... especially with the intention to overclock it~ and eventually upgrade to the superior lively Intel line~

Many people are using FX-6300/FX-8320/FX-8350 and I don't see it sinking within the next two years.... still viable for modern gaming when overclocked(even when at stock).

Now if you had a amd sempron 145 single-core processor... that would be a completely different story. Haha

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
8320 an under-clocked fx-8350 (Overclocking it will essentially turn it into an fx-8350)
FX-6300 will not bottleneck the GTX-970
Overclocking it will not make it perform close to the FX-8320/8350

xKAREN

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Will it being twice cheaper justify buying it, though? Or should i wait a little bit longer and get 8320?

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
For the price, FX 6300 performs well in most applications and games, only for CAD or heavy multimedia conversion tasks you'll need something better. There's also the option of unlocking all 8 cores if you can and your motherboard has this option.In the wake of DX12, why should you use Nvidia GTX970 instead of Radeon R9 380? or better R9 390(X).

xKAREN

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Because i can get GTX 970 for 200 pounds instead of 250.
Do you think 390 would be a better choice, then?

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
It's more logical to go with the processor that has 2-cores more

If you disable cores on a FX-8320, it's the same as a FX-6300.

The only reason to go FX-6300 is if you're on a really tight budget.

Hope I've helped solve some of your questions!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

To tell you the truth if you take FX-63xx and FX-83xxx CPU's and overclock them to the same 4.5ghz then play say 50 titles the difference is very little. There are plenty of comparisons and Youtube videos posted to prove this.

Now in gaming terms if you take those same CPU's at the same clock rates and compare them to a I3 4160 $119 and I5 4460 $167 you will find that they average slightly above the I3 but not by much. So it's about what you want to spend and do you want the system to have upgrade potential because moving from a FX 6300 to a FX 8350 or 8370 later wont yield you much at all, but going from a I3 4160 to a overclockable I5 4690K later will be a very noticeable difference. Take in consideration that the FX line is 4 years old now and considerable behind Intel, is this what you want? I wont say they are bad CPU's but if your not happy with a FX 6300 then you really don't have much left to upgrade to.

xKAREN

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

I need a cpu that will last me a year playings games at full with 970 until i upgrade to i5 or i7.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
FX-6300 will last you a year for sure... especially with the intention to overclock it~ and eventually upgrade to the superior lively Intel line~

Many people are using FX-6300/FX-8320/FX-8350 and I don't see it sinking within the next two years.... still viable for modern gaming when overclocked(even when at stock).

Now if you had a amd sempron 145 single-core processor... that would be a completely different story. Haha

Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

FX-6XXX and FX-8XXX CPU'S choke in a several titles for example; Guild Wars II WvW, World of Warcraft 25 man raids,Rifts 40 man raids, Wildstar 40 man raids, The Secret World World Events",. Basically any game that uses a old engine and DX9 or 10 and is highly CPU dependent. I'm not saying you can't play them but Settings have to go much further down than you would with a I3.

In 2016 AMD will release ZEN on AM4 and claim up to a 40% performance boost over Excavator CPU's which would put it competitive with Intel but.... as with Bulldozer will it fall short on it expectations?

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

As someone who actively plays Guild Wars 2/World of Warcraft with once a overclocked FX-4100 and FX-8350 overclocked... from my experience I was able to crank the settings up to near max in both games.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Playing the game and Raiding are two different things, Try WvW in a Zerg with high to Max settings it will take most
Intel CPU's down to 35 FPS a FX-8350 overclocked to 4.6ghz will drop to 15 FPS. This is well documented issue for years, I can spam this thread with multiple complaints and OP replies from a dozen different forums plus my own experiences.

DX9,DX10 Titles that are poorly optimized Kill AMD CPU's WoW has took a step to fix the issue but it's the only game that has bothered to deal with it. This is just the way it is, MMO's are CPU taxing because nearly all of them are not optimized and use less than 4 cores.

Tybost

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

MMO's aren't exactly thriving at the moment... but I hear your point.

Although raiding in the game, and playing the game are the same thing. (FPS does begin to buckle against many players on the screen) when specifically raiding.

I raid all the time with more than 15FPS from personal experience... perhaps I have a setting or two turned down which is working out for me.

MMO's are not thriving? This is a 39.74 billion U.S. dollar mar...*SNIP*

EDIT:
Let's not hijack this mans thread anymore, if you want to continue discussion that does not relate to this thread send me a PM. No new MMOs are on the horizon... but if your talking money then alright.. they are thriving in that regard.

OP has nothing to worry about.... since no new MMOs are being made.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
MMO's aren't exactly thriving at the moment... but I hear your point.

Although raiding in the game, and playing the game are the same thing. (FPS does begin to buckle against many players on the screen) when specifically raiding.

I raid all the time with more than 15FPS from personal experience... perhaps I have a setting or two turned down which is working out for me.

MMO's are not thriving? This is a 39.74 billion U.S. dollar market with will over 300 million logins every day world wide. Only about 50% of that population do large scale events like 25 man and 40 man raiding, large scale PVP and World Events probably because they have crappy computers. When I do large events on my FX-6350 I have to tweak the settings down to Low-Medium to stay above 20 FPS but on both the I5-2500K and I5-4690K I can stay above 35 FPS in Medium to High Settings. Go take a look at the GW2 Tech forum and WoW Tech forum and read the Threads titled "Low FPS" or "Spikey FPS" 80% are AMD CPU's. The only way to fix this would be updating the API's to use Multiple cores 4+ or Sideload more work onto the GPU.