Question FX 6300 vs FX 8150

Jul 23, 2023
Hi,
I'm resurrecting an old pc and I have two processors to choose from: an FX 6300 or an FX 8150.
I've read that the FX 6300 is more recent, consumes less power and has better performance per core, but I don't know how it would behave with modern software and games in terms of multi threading… what do you recommend?

Jul 23, 2023
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Core per core performance difference is so small, the 8150 should be able to make up for it with a slight OC, and having 8 threads will help in newer games and can still beat the 6300 in them type of works loads. If you have both on hand, Idk what to pick, do you want lower power consumption, or do you need more threads, Its kind of a hard one for me to choose as well.

Good Luck!

Reactions: EdwardTheGamer
Do you have a motherboard?
8150 is going to need a better than average motherboard with good vrm cooling.
I would not spend a dime on the project unless it was for something that could be carried forward to a future build.
A ssd for example.

Jul 23, 2023
Core per core performance difference is so small, the 8150 should be able to make up for it with a slight OC, and having 8 threads will help in newer games and can still beat the 6300 in them type of works loads. If you have both on hand, Idk what to pick, do you want lower power consumption, or do you need more threads, Its kind of a hard one for me to choose as well.

Good Luck!
Do you have a motherboard?
8150 is going to need a better than average motherboard with good vrm cooling.
I would not spend a dime on the project unless it was for something that could be carried forward to a future build.
A ssd for example.

I have an ASRock 990FX Extreme6 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212X.
(I have also paired an FX 8350 with an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 since it seems a bit better than the ASRock...)

Last edited:
I have an ASRock 990FX Extreme6 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212X.
(I have also paired an FX 8350 with an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 since it seems a bit better than the ASRock...)
Both of them boards are pretty close to the same, both sport a 8+2 phase so they should OC around the same if thats what you want to do with them, its more down to features, But yeah I would also picked the Sabertooth, its been a well known board in the 990fx era, can even handle the FX 9590 so it should handle that 8350 really well.

When I had my FX 8320, I was able to daily drive it at 5.1ghz, took awhile to get there, but it was fun, yeah the FX wasn't great compared to what Intel had, but it was just fun tinkering with it, trying to get every last bit of performance, and learning about the system, I've never really had the same satisfaction with any other system after it.

That system should work ok on older stuff, I wouldn't expect it to keep up with newer games and newer systems, but im sure you know that.

Good Luck, have fun!

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm resurrecting an old pc and I have two processors to choose from: an FX 6300 or an FX 8150.
I've read that the FX 6300 is more recent, consumes less power and has better performance per core, but I don't know how it would behave with modern software and games in terms of multi threading… what do you recommend?

as someone who owned both those processors i would probly recomend the fx 6300

pile driver fixed some issues that the fx 8150.

the bad thing about fx it shared resources so it was never a true 6 core basicly each 2 cores shared resources there where better improvements with it. including power consumption and heat.( the heat from a fx 8150 was just insane.)

Jul 23, 2023
i have to admit that im still running a fx6300 at 4.8 ghz.hell,a hyper 212 wouldnt cool this let alone an 8150.i went with a noctua nhd 14.any modern equivalent would do.
At that frequency and relative voltage yes, but at stock or with a slight overclock it is very manageable.

recently took my resurrected FX-8320 + Nvidia RTX 3060 for a spin and was quite surprised at how well it held up. Nothing amazing but it was tolerable for light games.
I had the same reaction with my FX6300 (OC'd to 4.6Ghz) and an RX 480. Not going to be as decent as a 3060 but the combo still let me play some fairly modern games at playable frames in 1080p with lowered settings. I thought about dropping in the 5700XT I have in my son's system but cringed at the thought of potentially breaking something in one or both of them for such a crazy experiment.

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I had the same reaction with my FX6300 (OC'd to 4.6Ghz) and an RX 480. Not going to be as decent as a 3060 but the combo still let me play some fairly modern games at playable frames in 1080p with lowered settings. I thought about dropping in the 5700XT I have in my son's system but cringed at the thought of potentially breaking something in one or both of them for such a crazy experiment.
"Breaking something" is a real risk. While trying to do hardware swaps, I accidentally ripped the 8320 out of the CPU socket by pulling too hard trying to remove the heatsink. Never thought something like that would be possible, OOPS!

id love to see the msi afterburner screens of that.

I got a 3DMark Time Spy benchmark here. I imagine the other FX 8xxx and 6xxx CPUs would fall somewhere in the same ballpark.