Build Advice New build :D

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 11, 2023
HTTPS://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/93DfYN
Am trying to build a higher end hobby machine.
The computer will not be overclocked ever.
Wanted a 40 series card with a cpu that won’t bottleneck.
Height: 354 - 543mm (14.0 - 21.5")
Width: 170 - 300mm (6.7 - 11.8")
Weight: Up to 25kg (55lb)
I am not too sure on the gpu and cpu combo but am mostly afraid of the motherboard / case problem aswell as the ram slots and what I have chosen
I wanted a motherboard with 2 m.2 slots managed to find one with four and was happy with that. But is there any known problems or is it solid?
I checked the case and it should fit the space but I’m not too sure as am dumbo.
Cant find weight of pc but iv been told “good luck getting a pc to 25kg”
I know you can’t use different read/write rams slots so iv chosen 128gb worth of the same ram card is what I have chosen okay?
Is the cpu good for a 40 series iv just rechecked and think I should change it for something greater closer the gpu.
Is the gpu a good 40 series card or is there another mid-high price point gpu I should look at?

Solution
i dont know what im talking about im just taking other peoples words as gosple

You are in a tough spot if you are unable to evaluate "other peoples words".........for whatever reason, good or bad. You've got a good reason...you admit to not knowing what you are talking about.

For a given budget, you can easily get 20 or 30 variations on components from 20 or 30 people. 80 or 100 if you want. All of it opinion. NONE of it gospel.

If you assembled all of the variations into dozens of PCs and tested them one after the other, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most of them other than in benchmarks. Some will do a bit better in this benchmark and a bit worse in that benchmark.

Then you'd get to agonize over...
Oct 11, 2023
and here is where I have another problem, I want the highest Ghz CPU for consumer use right?
at a point the number of threads/cores are not going to affect anything?
is this where i would rather get a ryzen cpu over intel? i have looked at CPUs and they all say Ryzen out preforms except when it's a single thread test
and yes, I will have to get the different fan if i go with Ryzen.

Oct 11, 2023
Who is "they"??

Passmark rates the Intel 9-14900KS 62558 total and 4867 single thread.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i9-14900KS&id=5957

The AMD R9-7950x3d as 62477 a d 4148 single thread.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=5234&cpu=AMD+Ryzen+9+7950X3D
i cant find where i said they but they is ether other forms on toms hardware, this form post orrrrrr
i don't know news egg or some research that i have done myself. looking into lian li cases and fans + what cpu i would want still. being told to go intel from and it guy because less driver error.

You are in a tough spot if you are unable to evaluate "other peoples words".........for whatever reason, good or bad. You've got a good reason...you admit to not knowing what you are talking about.

For a given budget, you can easily get 20 or 30 variations on components from 20 or 30 people. 80 or 100 if you want. All of it opinion. NONE of it gospel.

If you assembled all of the variations into dozens of PCs and tested them one after the other, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most of them other than in benchmarks. Some will do a bit better in this benchmark and a bit worse in that benchmark.

Then you'd get to agonize over which benchmark is most important or if any of them mean much for your purposes. On and on.

If you analyze all of this another 100 hours, you'll get dozens of more differing opinions. Opinion 43 contradicting opinion 29. You spent another 100 hours for what?

I'd guess time will eventually force you into a decision...and you'll do what we all do. Decide enough research is enough and hope for the best. You're not there yet.

I'm a worrywart myself. After I poke the "buy now" button, I start worrying about which of the parts will be defective or DOA. It's just another part of the process.

Last edited:
Solution