FX 8350 or i7 4770k

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I need help with this topic, i am getting a new PC and i can wait till then end of this year. The problem is that i will have to keep this PC for the next 5 to 6 years. I can spend extra to get a 4770k when it release but from what i have heard is that next gen games would run better on AMD hardware and will require more cores. I play graphically extensive games like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Crysis 3. I will be getting battlefield 4 so this will give u an idea of what type of games i am playing and all of these games need a good cpu to run, especially crysis 3 and possible Battlefield 4. Please just tell me that should i go with fx 8350 or the i7 4770k (when it releases in june), or should i wait for amd's steamroller or intel's broadwell. And please even list a good motherboard like asus maximus or crosshair formula motherboard or something better. I have noticed one problem that the AMD chipset i.e. 990fx dont have all the latest features.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please understand that i dont want to make a mistake cause if i make one i will regret it for the next 5 to 6 years.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

The thing is i was waiting for the 4770k no question asked, but when i read about crysis 3, the ps4 and the next gen xbox i have been thinking it again. From what i read a 8350 is theortically faster than a yet to come 4770k cpu but it just needs optimization which will come due to the next gen consoles. Here is a link to an article which explained it nicely :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

G

I don't know who told you what, but games do not benefit from more cores or threads for that matter. This is why the CPU of choice for gamers at the moment is the i5 3570k. It and the 3770k (as well the 4770k) demolish the FX 8350 core for core. Almost every game uses 2 cores or less. Even in huge multiplayer online matches, your PC will only be using 3 cores at most. And it won't be using anywhere near 100% of any of those cores. This isn't going to change for a long time. If you are using it purely for gaming, the AMD is perfectly fine. Paired with a high end PCI-E 3.0 x16 GPU, it will run every game on max settings. If you are using your PC for other things and do lots of multi-tasking, the 4770K will be the best choice. Like you said, you want to keep the PC for the next 5 or 6 years. If so, get a Haswell. Even a 3770k and 3570k is better than the FX 8350 for gaming. If you are on a budget, AMD is perfect and a very good price for the performance you get. If you want the fastest, the Ferrari if you will, and the most future proof, Intel all the way.

If you have the money, the Ivy Bridge "E" series is coming out. It will be the next king of consumer CPUs when it does, and will also cost about as much as the Sandy Bridge E which is around $1,000 or more. You will never find a game that will utilize the whole processor; either of the "E" CPUs... at least not for the next decade. These are more for gamers who think benchmarks are also games and don't realize they are just a nerd pissing contest.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Actually i could get whatever comes as a successor for the i7 3930, but the i7 is 50% more expensive in my country so i cant get it. Every component cost extra about 50% even the i7 3770k. I first thought to go with amd 8350 as next gen games (crysis 3 is an example) benefit from more cores. The AMD cpu has eight cores and the intel cpu has 4 cores 8 thread and is a much smaller die so it will be slower. And the 4570k is a no go.

Here is a link demonstrating that next gen games will benefit from more cores and threads:
http://maldotex.blogspot.in/2013/02/hyperthreading-and-real-custom-graphics.html

G

They use more cores than an Intel CPU, but the next gen console CPUs will not have nearly the same power core for core. Next gen console CPU clock speeds are much lower, about half. And this is comparing a stock, non overclocked Intel CPU to a next gen console CPU. Since you can overclock the Ivy Bridge or Haswell they will last much longer. Also, if the next gen consoles will be anything like the current gen, then one core will be dedicated to the OS and security and one core may even be unused to increase yield. Anyway, it isn't the CPU that will keep your PC relevant for gaming in the future, it is your GPU choice that will matter more.

G

Even with all 8 cores, the 8350 is slower than the 4 core 3770k without HT. Look at any CPU benchmark list ever. The top 4 or 5 CPUs are all Intel. Go on a benchmark site like passmark CPU-z, when people send in the best overclock, the top 200 or 300 results are always Intel. I've never seen an AMD flagship CPU be faster or perform better in any test than an Intel CPU.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/450/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K.html

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu (organize high to low)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (click passmark cpu mark to organize high to low; it is in alphabetical order so AMD is on top for once:))

G

The thing you will have to consider from that article is that AMD rarely changes their motherboard CPU socket so that it can be upgraded many times while Intel's socket changes every other generation. The current 1155 was only used for Sandy and Ivy bridge. This is the main reason why these devs choose the AMD.

If you plan on keeping the system as it is for the next 5 or 6 years, the Intel is a much better choice and will last longer. The other problem, the AM3+ socket which is the current AMD platform was introduced in 2009. This is a 4 year old platform. How many more new CPUs will come out for it after the 8350? I can pretty much guarantee that the 1150 will have at least one more CPU generation after Haswell. So, they may last about the same, but the Intel will still be more powerful, better for overclocking and much more power efficient. I'd still go with the Intel unless you are on a tight budget.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Power inefficiency and temperatures are a concern but i am getting an corsair h80i.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Don't let them spoon feed you garbage about intel is better than AMD.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

That talks about the PS4 being able to run 96 threads concurrently with the hardware in it because of modifications by Sony and AMD, and the ability to use the GPU as a GPGPU, which means the GPU alone can run 64 threads concurrently...(by comparison the i7-4770k can run a theoretical maximum of 40). They chose AMD, because AMD has the technology to make an integrated solution that would meet their performance needs.

Additionally, the FX8350 will have a direct upgrade path to Steamroller, which will be a 30% improvement. AMD is the better choice for looking forward. Games are going to more cores, and dual core CPUs are going the way of the dodo. Intel is not even going to produce a dual core CPU for the haswell refresh (broadwell) and it will phase out all dual core CPUs after that release.

Furthermore, intel change sockets like you change socks. Every 18-24 months, like clockwork, if you want to upgrade you have to overhaul...which costs more money...and lately the gains between generations for intel have been less than 10% improvement across the board...so they're not doing anything drastically better with new generations.

AMD will come out with quad channel RAM and PCIe 3.0 support, likely after steamroller, or if they do it for steamroller, it will be the 970 and 990FX chipset boards with a new moniker and more features, but those things aren't even really an issue at this point as a top end GPU cannot use all the bandwidth in the PCIe 2.0 bus as it is. So don't worry about that yet.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I think the reason sony and possibly microsoft chose AMD is because their gpu can use their cpu's internal graphics and ultimately fit with each other better. And are u suggesting that if i want to be have a future proof solution i should wait for steamroller and for AMD to update their chipsets?

Etnos

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I like the 8350 but in your case just get the 4770k its the best desktop CPU money can buy right now.

There is no such thing as future proof, the whole Eurogammer article is pretty bullshit.. even if we see that architecture change, it would take a few years to actually matter. by that time both the 8350 and the 4770k would be old tech anyway.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
There is little to no point in trying to make a gaming pc last 5-6 years. Buy an i5-3570k or 8350 (don't even consider the 3770k) and put the $100 in the bank, use the money to upgrade your computer in 4-5 years.

The 8350 is cheaper that the 3770k and as games come out with better multithreading will do better (peformance in bf3, crysis 3 is quite comparable). It doesn't matter which cpu wins in a game of the minimums are over 60 fps (unless you have a 120 Hz monitor). 80 fps vs 110 fps is irrelevant.

If you have the money or want a small form factor the 3770k wins hands down. If you don't have the money or don't care about case size go the the 8350.

ihog

Distinguished

Intel beats AMD in performance. Price/performance is up for debate.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

That talks about the PS4 being able to run 96 threads concurrently with the hardware in it because of modifications by Sony and AMD, and the ability to use the GPU as a GPGPU, which means the GPU alone can run 64 threads concurrently...(by comparison the i7-4770k can run a theoretical maximum of 40). They chose AMD, because AMD has the technology to make an integrated solution that would meet their performance needs.

I don't see any of that mentioned in the article.

Additionally, the FX8350 will have a direct upgrade path to Steamroller, which will be a 30% improvement. AMD is the better choice for looking forward. Games are going to more cores, and dual core CPUs are going the way of the dodo. Intel is not even going to produce a dual core CPU for the haswell refresh (broadwell) and it will phase out all dual core CPUs after that release.

The supposed 30% improvement is speculation by AMD, and AMD only.

Furthermore, intel change sockets like you change socks. Every 18-24 months, like clockwork, if you want to upgrade you have to overhaul...which costs more money...and lately the gains between generations for intel have been less than 10% improvement across the board...so they're not doing anything drastically better with new generations.

I agree with the socket changes; they're such a pain. But Intel isn't really trying to improve performance. They don't have to, because AMD isn't catching up. Intel is just working on their IGP and power efficiency. Frankly, I want AMD to improve that speculated 30%. It'll put a fire under Intel's ass. Then, AMD would have to up the ante again, and then Intel would as well.

AMD will come out with quad channel RAM and PCIe 3.0 support, likely after steamroller, or if they do it for steamroller, it will be the 970 and 990FX chipset boards with a new moniker and more features, but those things aren't even really an issue at this point as a top end GPU cannot use all the bandwidth in the PCIe 2.0 bus as it is. So don't worry about that yet.

There are Intel chips that support quad channel memory and PCIe 3.0, as well.

logainofhades

Titan

I have heard for sure 1 maybe two more revisions of chips. AM4 will be late 2014.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Value is where intel falls short. For less money than the i5-3570k, you get 90% of i7-3770k performance in most benchmarks, and real world results are often closer than that.

I don't see any of that mentioned in the article.

It's on the 2nd or 3rd page, and he talks about expanding the GPU compute pipelines from 2 to 64 and adding a 3rd bus to allow the GPU direct access to memory to further increase parallelism.

The supposed 30% improvement is speculation by AMD, and AMD only.

Of course, no one else has their engineering prototypes...that would be like saying..."Here you go, mess with my technology before I am ready..." No one is that foolish, though I suspect we will see real numbers close to what the retail production will offer near the end of the year.

I agree with the socket changes; they're such a pain. But Intel isn't really trying to improve performance. They don't have to, because AMD isn't catching up. Intel is just working on their IGP and power efficiency. Frankly, I want AMD to improve that speculated 30%. It'll put a fire under Intel's ass. Then, AMD would have to up the ante again, and then Intel would as well.

Back to the golden days of the Athlon and Pentiums...when it seemed like weekly they were trying to one up each other.

There are Intel chips that support quad channel memory and PCIe 3.0, as well.

Sure, they're called SB-E and they cost $600+

well all the 3570k vs 8350 benchmarks/threads/recommendations from reputable sources always point to the 3570k for gaming. the 4770k will be faster again, so its another obvious choice an another thread that doesn't really need to be here. the ps4 having X amount of threads and an 8 core cpu doesn't mean squat as they are 8 SLOW cores. The greater benefit will come from the ps4 being able to utilize the gpu for highly parallel processing, which pc's can also do via opencl/PhysX which the ps4 also supports, so I would expect any ports to be better optimized for both intel and amd rigs.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I am in 9th, so my dad sets me a budget and I buy my PC, i wont be allowed to change my pc anytime soon cause i would have to focus on studies. So thats the reason why money dosent matters for the cpu and i will be keeping it for 5 to 6 years.

And everyone has convinced me to go with the 4770k, thank you very much for that. Can u please suggest a motherboard. I know that no z87 motherboards are out yet, but brands like rog make yearly improvements to their motherboards like the maximus series which i am really interested in especially the formula board. Is there any other good motherboard out there (i do have a budget so i just cant buy anything).

And i will be getting a 120hz moniter maybe the 1080p one or wait for the resolution to be updated so i do need fps, plus i am going to record game for youtube at 60 fps.

G

If you look at the current lineup of Asus Z77 boards, you will get an idea of what to expect from them when the next series is released.

Maximus V Extreme - If you plan on watercooling your PC, the Maximus V Formula is a good choice. One of the main advantages of the Maximus V Formula is that it supports 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots and up to 4-way SLI or Crossfire. Almost every other Z77 board will split the lanes into 2 x8 which is how the CPU was designed. The Maximus V Formula adds a "PLX" chip which allows either GPU to run at the full x16 speed when needed. And, every other board will only support 3 or less SLI or Crossfire. Also, this board will allow you to push the limit of overclocking with the built in water blocks if you combine it with a quality CPU water cooler. It also comes with a built in WIFI receiver. This is the most expensive and the most feature packed. I'm sure Asus will come out with a 1150 version when Intel releases the chipset.

Maximus V Gene - Is an Extreme minus built in WIFI and the PLX chip.

Sabertooth - This is a "military grade" board due to a plastic "armor" they cover it with. There are two little fans in it that circulate air. Underneath, it is basically an Asus P8Z77-V Pro chipset which cost about $15 less. This board comes with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the Maximus V series' 3-year warranty and the P8Z77-V series' 3-year warranty. The warranty was one of the main reasons I got one.

P8Z77-V series - there are several versions such as the Deluxe, Pro, LE, V, and couple others. Part of the differences between them are in the components used on the board itself such as capacitors and other electronic components that do the same thing but cost less and might not last as long or might limit the board's functionality. Most of them have the same features, graphical user interface BIOS, built in sound card, etc. Some of them might have less USB 3.0 ports, USB 2.0 ports, no VGA D-Sub port, no eSATA, less on board SATA 6.0 GB/s, less PCI slots, no thunderbolt, etc. For example, one might have HDMI and DVI and D-Sub while another will only have HDMI and Display Port (such as the Sabertooth).

If you are getting a discrete video card, then the display ports are not an issue for you since you will be using the dGPU. You say you are planning on keeping it as is, with no upgrades, for 5 years or more. This means only one GPU and the Haswell CPU. There really is no point in getting the Maximus V unless you are doing some insane liquid overclocking like 5.0 GHz or more. But, even if you are, any Z77 with the right BIOS will be capable of it, you just won't have a water cooled chipset. I think the only real advantage of the Maximus is multi-GPU, which is why it is geared toward hard core gamers. You should decide on what sound card you want, if you are going with built in. All of these boards have different sound outputs. Some have full surround and some just have in, out and mic. In the end, I may be a little biased, but a Sabertooth will be guaranteed to last for 5 years even if it breaks down. Plus you are only using one GPU. It has plenty of USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, 2 eSATA ports, full surround sound, HDMI and display port and is reasonably priced. That's my choice if they come out with an 1150 version.

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Thanks , that was helpful. Unfortunately i am still not sure what to do, currently i am thinking that a fx 8350 is a no-go, either get a 4770k or wait for AMD's steamroller...

8350rocks

Distinguished

If you can wait, go steamroller. The buzz around steamroller is a 30% improvement over the piledriver architecture. Haswell is only a 6-7% real world gain over Ivy Bridge...so no huge difference there. Plus, intel is eventually going to drop sockets (expected in 2015 with skylake) and go to a non-upgradable BGA socket...(CPU soldered to motherboard)

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

The non-upgradable BGA socket will only exist for the broadwell architecture (miniaturization of haswell). And if steam roller releases in the 4th quarter then i can see what changes the new consoles bring and then decide my purchase. Can anyone tell me the improvements that steam roller makes other than the performance increase percentage?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Sure:
1.) increased register files and improved register file latency
2.) Shortened Instruction pipelines (reduce latency)
3.) 2 decoders on the front end instead of 1 (increase efficiency in handling instructions)
4.) IPC increased by 1 per core and 1 per FPU
5.) 4 pipelines per core (more vertical multithreading)
6.) All of those result in a huge reduction in mispredicted branches, and inefficient instruction handling.

There are more changes than that, but they're a little more technical...I can link you a full breakdown of the Steamroller changes for Kaveri APUs coming Q4 2013 if you like(the changes are itemized for the steamroller core architecture, not the APU specifically).

ANIR0X2K00L

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Can you please pm me explaining the new features, i dont know that much about how a cpu works so please keep it a little simple. And i also read that steamroller would have 28nm transistors?