[SOLVED] FX 8350 VS i5 3470

irfanur6

Reputable
May 15, 2018
One of my big bro is suggesting me to change my fx 8350 with a i5 3470. but im not so sure if thats a great idea and im a bit confused. he is saying that it will give me better fps.
My config; fx 8350
gigabyte 78 lmt usb3
8 gigs ram
Sapphire R7 250 2GB DDR5

Solution
and what if i get a better gpu? will it get more more fps in i5 3470 rather than fx8350?
You will get better top fps - but average will be the same, and low fps will be lower with Intel system (this means a jerkier experience on Intel, with smoother but less titillating experience on AMD - no "yay! I got 100fps on my 60Hz panel!"). It's not an upgrade, it's a sidestep as both CPUs have very comparable performance on average.
But getting a better GPU on this kind of setup is a bit of a waste; what do you have in mind? Anything past a Radeon RX570 would be wasted.
and what if i get a better gpu? will it get more more fps in i5 3470 rather than fx8350?
You will get better top fps - but average will be the same, and low fps will be lower with Intel system (this means a jerkier experience on Intel, with smoother but less titillating experience on AMD - no "yay! I got 100fps on my 60Hz panel!"). It's not an upgrade, it's a sidestep as both CPUs have very comparable performance on average.
But getting a better GPU on this kind of setup is a bit of a waste; what do you have in mind? Anything past a Radeon RX570 would be wasted.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

irfanur6

Reputable
May 15, 2018
i was hoping to pair a 1650S or a 1660 with my fx 8350. what do u think? will it be a waste?

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
One of my big bro is suggesting me to change my fx 8350 with a i5 3470. but im not so sure if thats a great idea and im a bit confused. he is saying that it will give me better fps.
My config; fx 8350
gigabyte 78 lmt usb3
8 gigs ram
Sapphire R7 250 2GB DDR5
Before upgrading to Ryzen, my experience was that my RX 580 8GB paired with my FX 8350 still did respectably well. For example, I was playing AC: Odyssey with no trouble, and only some stutter in cinematics.

One note though, 8GB RAM for gaming is pretty well considered to be bare bones minimum now, and sometimes even problematic. If you can grab some anywhere, I'd suggest upgrading to 16GB of RAM at minimum.

So, you may be better off upgrading your RAM capacity while also upgrading your GPU. Those will save the cost of a "new" CPU and motherboard until you can upgrade more fully later on down the road.

Good luck!

Before upgrading to Ryzen, my experience was that my RX 580 8GB paired with my FX 8350 still did respectably well. For example, I was playing AC: Odyssey with no trouble, and only some stutter in cinematics.

One note though, 8GB RAM for gaming is pretty well considered to be bare bones minimum now, and sometimes even problematic. If you can grab some anywhere, I'd suggest upgrading to 16GB of RAM at minimum.

So, you may be better off upgrading your RAM capacity while also upgrading your GPU. Those will save the cost of a "new" CPU and motherboard until you can upgrade more fully later on down the road.

Good luck!
If you need more RAM, then considering a complete upgrade would be better - DDR3 is finished now and you would have to throw it away on your next upgrade.

InvalidError

Titan
If you need more RAM, then considering a complete upgrade would be better - DDR3 is finished now and you would have to throw it away on your next upgrade.
Depends on how much you pay for it and how much time it'll buy you until you absolutely need to upgrade. On eBay, you can get 16GB of DDR3 for as low as $15. If that lets you stretch your existing PC for an extra year, you'll more than make up for that $15 in the form of dropped prices on Zen 2/3 parts and 500-series motherboards.

Reactions: Tigerhawk30

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015

Possibly so, but then again he's talking about essentially extending the life of his current system and not doing a full scale upgrade to every part..and as we know, upgrading the RAM is a domino effect that includes motherboard and processor for that DDR4 to work, much less fit. The FX/AM3+ combination that his motherboard has will only use DDR3, thus the suggestion of upgrading to a 16GB DDR3 set.

Depends on how much you pay for it and how much time it'll buy you until you absolutely need to upgrade. On eBay, you can get 16GB of DDR3 for as low as $15. If that lets you stretch your existing PC for an extra year, you'll more than make up for that $15 in the form of dropped prices on Zen 2/3 parts and 500-series motherboards.
Buying hardware on eBay is risky. Yes it's possible, no I won't recommend it.

irfanur6

Reputable
May 15, 2018
I wouldn't use second-hand parts in a new PC but don't mind as much for an old one. When you pay through PayPal on eBay, it is far easier for buyers to do charge-backs than it is for sellers to block one, so I'd be far more worried about selling on eBay than buying.
well the thing is guys im from Bangladesh. and sad but eBay isn't available here. not even amazon. so if i had to buys used 8gb ram then i have to buy it from a person.

InvalidError

Titan
wasn't talking about SLI. 6Gb VRAM is necessary? so you're suggesting me to go for at-least 1660S?
My bad, registered "pair a 1650S" as "pair of" :)

You can get by with 4GB of VRAM if you don't mind having to turn down settings to make sure you stay under that, otherwise you'll have severe GPU performance degradation from being low on system memory and only having PCIe 2.0 whenever the GPU needs to use system memory as a supplement.

irfanur6

Reputable
May 15, 2018
My bad, registered "pair a 1650S" as "pair of" :)

You can get by with 4GB of VRAM if you don't mind having to turn down settings to make sure you stay under that, otherwise you'll have severe GPU performance degradation from being low on system memory and only having PCIe 2.0 whenever the GPU needs to use system memory as a supplement.
i want to buy a gpu that i can use for a long time bro. will change this fx 8350 cpu later and swap to ryzen. what gpu do u suggest then?