G.Skill 2133 on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

uKER

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
I just purchased a 2-module set of this memory and I'm trying to get it to work on my motherboard.

What I expected to do was to set the mem multiplier to 10.66 (200x10.66~2133), set the memory to 1.65, set the timings manually (9-11-10-28) and be done with it, but doing this the machine won't post.

It just sits there, blank screen for a couple of seconds, and I get a notice over the post screen saying that overclocking caused boot problems and the values have been reverted.

I also tried the 2133 DOCP profile, and tried increasing the voltage to the RAM by 0.05 to 1.7v, and setting the CPU NB VID control to +0.1v, but none of that helped.
Actually, none of the "frequency-named" DOCP profiles works, not even 1600 MHz.

Strangely, there's a "Profile2" DOCP setting that sets the system frequency to 228 MHz and the DDR multiplier to 9.33, thus reaching 2127 MHz (same system voltages, same memory timings as I had set), and it seems to work, but that leaves my NB, processor and HT with weird timing values, which I'd really like to avoid.

Since even setting the base frequency to 229 (which leaves the memory at 2136 MHz) seems to work, I tend to think the controller is actually capable of handling 2133 with no issues.

Now, can anybody help me find a way to get the memory to 2133 without messing up with all of the system's timings?

Thanks in advance!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I can't begin to stress the uselessness of buying 2133 ram.

From GB's website :

Dual Channel DDR3 2000+ MHz
Delivering native support for DDR3 memory up to 2000MHz, GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 series motherboards allow users to easily reach higher memory frequencies at lower voltages; achieving higher memory performance with lower power consumption to run even the most memory intensive applications such as high-definition video and 3D games with ease.

Doesn't look like it supports the 2133.

Second of all, 1600mhz vs 2133mhz; if the 1600mhz has better timings; it's going to perform better. The fact isn't that the bandwidth isn't there; it's the timings that are crucial now. 1600Mhz is more than fast enough for the channels to run and your ram isn't going to bottleneck at 1600mhz.

If I was in your shoes in this particular pickle; I'd probably set that ram up for 1866Mhz since it's not an overclock for the board. Find the right settings and put the timings in manually and set them LOOSE. Then, once you get it booting I'd start running memtest on the chips. Run a few cycles and if it passes, go tighten the timings a little.

As for getting it to 2133, you're going to be pushing that board pretty hard, even at 2000. I don't see the point in the very small gains if you ever see any at 2133 vs 1600.

brentcharles

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
i have the same board with an fx6300.. same problem.. figured out the answer while overclocking.. get your ram timings from cpu-z and enter them in your bios in expert settings. change memory clock multiplier to the max. set dram voltage to 1.6. change hst to 2400 and northbridge to 2400.. that should get you there
edit - i did stress test this for about and hour or so using prime95 and hwmonitor. temps running the same as everything on default/auto

uKER

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks for your reply.
However, I tried and no luck either.
I even tried 1.65V and all I get is the machine rebooting to say it had issues booting due to overclocking, and reverting to the previous setting.
I think I'm not going to see 2133 on this board.
Heck, I haven't even been able to get stable 1866.
A true shame.

Adroid

Distinguished
You might try loosening the timings further and see if that helps. Some motherboards and CPUs combinations refuse to overclock to 2400, period. You might try contacting G.Skill to see if they have suggestions.

I would stop overvolting the RAM - that is not going to help and it may damage your system.

Your timings for 2133 look too tight to me also. Try CAS 11 - 11 - 11 - 30 for example. If not, you may need to try something higher or further reduce the frequency.

grownoninll

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Try CAS 11 - 11 - 11 - 30 for example. If not, you may need to try something higher or further reduce the frequency.
2QF7mT