PhunkySKunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm going to be ordering some parts to build a new computer this weekend and the ram i am getting is g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1866. they are going to be paired with a gigibyte amd770 chipset mobo and an athlon II 250 cpu. now from what i read that cpu can only support ddr3 1066 i think or 1333 dont remember which. will i be able to use that ram with that cpu and mobo at that speed or will i have to underclock it or will the mobo automatically do that for me. or will i have to mamually so it and then be able to overclock it to a higher speed than the processor can handle?

thanks

Solution
Two of the three gigabyte amd770 chip boards I see available have a limit of 1666 with 1800 as an overclock speed. So you won't be able to set the chips beyond 1666 directly. They achieve 1800 only by overclocking the fsb after that. But to your more interesting question about the internal cpu memory controller limits. I believe your correct about 1333 as a limit, and while I'm not positive that would be the threshold for performance. While you can go beyond that the benefits may be hard to detect. Hope somebody smarter comments on that as I'm interested too.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Two of the three gigabyte amd770 chip boards I see available have a limit of 1666 with 1800 as an overclock speed. So you won't be able to set the chips beyond 1666 directly. They achieve 1800 only by overclocking the fsb after that. But to your more interesting question about the internal cpu memory controller limits. I believe your correct about 1333 as a limit, and while I'm not positive that would be the threshold for performance. While you can go beyond that the benefits may be hard to detect. Hope somebody smarter comments on that as I'm interested too.

Solution

PhunkySKunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

yeah. im only getting them because i havent really looked at any other ram and they look nice and have decent performance it seems and are under 100 bucks. but if you can suggest a better or cheaper good ram go ahead.