G-Sync or Free-Sync monitor? and why?

Jake1781

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
i have recently built myself a new rig and woud like to pair it with a new monitor, i have never looked into the different types of monitors until now i would like to buy one that best suits my setup.
I am running a gigabyte nvidia geforce GTX 1060 6GB
i have heard about G-sync and Free-Sync but i am competely oblivious to what the differenc is and what the benifits of each are, i would be thankful for any help and maybe some suggestions of monitors i could get, i am looking to game in 1080p as 4K may be a bit of an ask for the GPU i have if possible a cheaper option and more of a highend option.

Solution
Both solutions were created to minimize image problems like screen tearing and many others. Increasing their performance and smoothness.

AMD developed FreeSync and NVIDIA created G-Sync
Either can be only used fully with their respective GPUs.

That way you can only benefit from G-Sync if you have a NVIDIA GPU, or the otherway around.

G-Sync is better, no doubt, but the price you pay for it is greatly increased, as it's a internal chip inside the monitor.

Aside from those, there's IPS, TNS, and so on kinds of panels. You might wanna chose each you'll like/benefit most before even thinking about getting a monitor with those solutions.

With a GTX 1060, you won't be able to run 4K properly, only if low down every setting, but i believe...

manddy123

Admirable
Both solutions were created to minimize image problems like screen tearing and many others. Increasing their performance and smoothness.

AMD developed FreeSync and NVIDIA created G-Sync
Either can be only used fully with their respective GPUs.

That way you can only benefit from G-Sync if you have a NVIDIA GPU, or the otherway around.

G-Sync is better, no doubt, but the price you pay for it is greatly increased, as it's a internal chip inside the monitor.

Aside from those, there's IPS, TNS, and so on kinds of panels. You might wanna chose each you'll like/benefit most before even thinking about getting a monitor with those solutions.

With a GTX 1060, you won't be able to run 4K properly, only if low down every setting, but i believe that's not the reason to get a 4K monitor, is it? 1080p is the perfect spot for a GTX 1060

I made this post here, check it for more examples on which monitor you could get:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3264811/monitor-buy.html

Solution
Both systems synchronize the monitor image with the ability of the graphics card to present them. This makes for a smoother presentation and avoids screen tearing where images are partially presented.
It is most useful where your graphics card can not generate images as fast as the monitor can present them. A monitor will usually have 60hz, but some are now capable of much more, like 144hz.

You did not ask, but an important criteria is IPS panels which offer better image and 178/178 viewing angle vs.
tn which offers faster response times at the expense of image quality.
For a nvidia card like the GTX1060 you would want g.sync.

PaulBlack

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Don't get any monitor that isn't g-sync with that graphics card.
That's 120 or 144 or 240 hz. Any 60hz monitor will work at 60 fps.
I would totally recommend the 144hz ones an a huge advantage in shooting games.

TRENDING THREADS