G-Sync worth it? Shopping for a new monitor...

reidbaker

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I am currently in the market for a new monitor.
I've been looking at the 2560 x 1440, 144hz, g-sync displays (roughly 27").
But I'm not sure if the cost (~$700 depending), particularly for the G-Sync premium would really be a large add over my current display with my system.

I currently have a 27" Asus 120hz 3D Display @ 1980x1020 (to which I never use 3D). My rig has 2 GTX 970s in SLI (slighly overclocked). I'm fairly good at calibrating my settings to my monitor's frequency - and basically never have VSync on (and don't really experience tearing much). Most recently running COD:BO3 at 120FPS, 3K resolution. And Fallout 4, about the same.

I'd love to get the best monitor I can for gaming. But not sure if I should prioritize G-Sync above, say going full 4K, or even getting a larger monitor (would love a 30"+ screen). I'm definitely sticking with the high Hz screen (at least 120hz), but yeah - g-sync is the big question mark.

Thoughts? Help?

i went from a standard 144hz to a gsync 144hz. games are definitely a little bit smoother, but the price hike for it is not worth it in my opinion. i barely notice a difference personally.

4k is overkill. stick with 1440p. you would need too much power to run a 4k display. what is your system's specs?

reidbaker

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Also - seems that 4K Displays aren't in 120hz flavors. And should clarify - been running things in DSR / Render Resolution at 3K.

Think I'd like a huge high hz display vs another 27" display that happens to have G-sync.

No it is not worth it imo. I just ended up disabling gsync on mine, I had too many stuttering issues with games.