GA-965P-DQ6 F8 BIOS Bug

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
As many of us have discovered, Gigabyte introduced a bug into the F8 BIOS that prevents changing the FSB speed.

They are not taking ownership of the problem. So far, this is my exchange with them:

Question - 432106
Sent : 1/8/2007 10:31
Question : After upgrading from the F7 BIOS to the F8 BIOS, I am unable to change the Front Side Bus speed. The machine won't even POST.

With the F7, F6, and F5 BIOS, I changed the processor multiplier from 9 to 8, and set the FSB to 400, the memory multiplier to 2. This allowed my E6600 to run stable at 3.2GHz.

After installing the F8 BIOS, any change to the FSB frequency causes the board to fail to POST, even if I raise it just a little without changing the processor multiplier. After clearing the CMOS, with all the BIOS settings at default, if the only change I make is to raise the FSB a little the machine will not POST. You should be able to duplicate this.

Answer - 432106
Answer : hi

unfortunately any results from overclocking will not be guarantee, any issue if you are running on default specs?

Sent : 1/10/2007 23:01
Question : This is the exact same answer you gave my friend, who is also having the same problem. This answer is non-responsive - it doesn't address the issue.

The issue is that yo made a change to the F8 code which disables the ability to change the FSB. You have introduced a bug into the BIOS. It used to work, and you broke it.

I do not accept your response.

You are selling a premium enthusiast motherboard with overclocking features built in which you have disabled with your latest BIOS update.

I expect you to take responsibility for your programming error and issue a fix.

I await a better response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-965P-DQ6(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F8
Serial No. : 0000
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : GIGABYTE Model : X1900XTX
CPU Brand : Intel Model : E6600 Speed : 2.4
Operation System : Win XP SP : 2
Memory Brand : OCZ Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 2GB Speed : 800
Power Supply : 600 W

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
B*STARDS! If Asus or Abit did something like that to me I would go crazy! You think they will do it with the DS3's too?

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
You think anyone at Gigabyte has noticed???? 8O
It's starting to look as though all they want is enthusiasts $$$ without having to acknowledge any responsibility for their product.
Though their GIGABYTE mobo has been great compared to my previous ASUS P5B mobo & related experience, it's little things like this that have me looking elsewhere for my next upgrade at this early stage of my OC'ing venture.

:wink: Can you say ABIT, FOXCONN, MSI???

related post: Help with Gigabyte's New F8 BIOS version for DQ6 Mobo

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Another response form Gigabyte:

according to our phone record you have contacted us via phone, please continue using the F7 bios. Our testing department is conducting further testing on the F8 bios

Thank you

Actually, I never called them, so whoever else is helping to keep the pressure on Gigabyte - if you're reading this, thanks.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Another response form Gigabyte:

according to our phone record you have contacted us via phone, please continue using the F7 bios. Our testing department is conducting further testing on the F8 bios

Thank you

Actually, I never called them, so whoever else is helping to keep the pressure on Gigabyte - if you're reading this, thanks.

D-I-T-T-O!!!