GA-P35-DS3L pci-e bus width stuck at 1x with Asus EN8800GT

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
I know this is a fairly common problem... Posted in another thread about it and it was reccomended to me to post a new thread about it here...

The pci-e bus width is stuck at 1x no matter what i change in bios or drivers.

Ive tried reseating the card a different pci-e power connector. Nothing works.

The system actually seems really nice and stable aside from this one problem.

System:

ASUS EN8800GT
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
crucial ballistix pc 8500 2 gigs
OCZ stealth stream 600w

Is there a known fix for this? Any advice?

Thanks.

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah i already tried every setting from 96Mhz through 111Mhz. Also I tried increasing the fsb voltage northbridge voltage and pci-e voltage each by .1V... didn't really wanna go above that.

Any other ideas?

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Im not overclocking at all... Everything is stock. Theres no option to lower the pci-e voltage in the bios its either auto or +.1 +.2 +.3

I don't see how flashing the bios will help.... I have the F6 bios... Here's the description for the others... No mention of anything pci-e related.

F7a 2007/11/23

1. Beta Bios
2. Support Intel 45nm Wolfdale E8xxx series CPU

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
How do i take a snapshot of the bios MIT settings?

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpuzgpuzke3.jpg

I guess this form doesnt allow attachments?

As you can see speed stepping is enabled. Is that a problem? Im not really sure where to disable it if it is.

Also i set up the timings for my ram in the MIT to what they should be from stock (leaving them as stock made no difference on this problem so I may as well have it working properly right?)

How do i take a snapshot of the MIT settings in the bios?

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
alright. forget taking snapshot of the bios (usually done by digi cam). i looked at the manual just now, n the only thing which make sense to me, other than what u already tried is:

go to BIOS>Advance Bios Features> Init Display First> set to PEG

im not sure if the above insturctions will help u or not. but yes. set PCI Express Frequency to 100Mhz.

just for ur info. im using same mobo, but bios F4. n my 8800GT is working fine.

p.s. as shadow said, try using some other graphics card.

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
neither downgrading nor updating the bios helped.... im quickly running out of ideas here. I dont have access to another pci card or computer at the moment but this is a common problem that im 99% sure is the motherboards fault.

hashbar9

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Here was gigabytes amazingly helpful response to my support ticket:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.
About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, according to specification of PCI_E, Impedance in PCI-E 2.0 is 90 Ω and PCI-E 1.0 is 100Ω . In addition, the voltage in PCI-E 2.0 is 1.1V and PCI-E 1.0 is 1.2V. Basiclly, the changes are still in
resistance tolerance.

Besides, the VGA card have been test with MB with PCI_E 1.x & PCI_E 2.x
It should be o.k.

WOuld you try to load optimized default in BIOS and check the value blow:

CPU ratio and speed
PCI_E voltage
PCI_E speed.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

I sent them a response but prolly wont hear back till feb 11th