GA-p55-ud3+crucial M4 SATA3 SSD- no post with ahci, no boot with ide

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
So I read and read and read and finally got my Crucial M4 and hooked it up to my PC
Mobo: GA-P55A-UD3 Rev 2.0 (has marvel sata3 ports and intel sata2 ports)

So hooked up my ssd to intel sata2 ports.. (since marvel was supposed to be worse that intel sata2.)
So anyways..no changes in bios

I bootup.. with SSD hooked to intel ports... Cant get past Windows bootup logo
so I searched and found AHCI, decided to enable that (PCH adaptor IDE=>AHCI) and boot up (with hdd still attached) Cant even get past post. Stuck on the 333 screen

This is a fresh SSD with nothing on it.. I have to hook it up to prep it to install win7 but i cant even

What do I do??? I am lost and stuck now. I searched a lot and haven't found a solution.. have been trying for last 4 hrs in vain.Any help will be great.

Solution
If I understand correctly, you have Windows installed on a HDD, have connected the SSD to that system, changed Windows to AHCI and then cannot boot?

If so, problem is you cannot change the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS and boot from the HDD if Windows was previously installed with the SATA mode set to IDE. You need to change BIOS back to IDE, boot from the HDD, then make changes to Windows Registry, shut down, *THEN* change to AHCI in BIOS and boot into Windows.

This should work to change the Registry settings (from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976):

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based...

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Can you put the drive in a working system and see if it's recognized? If so, and if the M4 doesn't have the latest firmware, you can flash it while it's in a working system.

Also, some of the other "usual suspects" are to try a different SATA cable, and try a different SATA port.

FYI & FWIW, I have the same motherboard with an Intel 520, and the performance benchmarks with the drive in the Marvell SATA-3 port are almost the same as the benchmarks with the drive in the Intel chipset SATA-2 port. I decided to leave it as SATA-2, because the Intel RST drivers are supposedly much better than Marvell's.

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I will try it on a different pc and with different sata cable/port and see.

What should the bios setting be on? AHCI or IDE before installing OS on it.

With AHCI on
- And no SSD: HDD isnt even seen on BIOS
- And with SSD: No post at all.

My M4 came with the 0309 firmware installed which is the latest as per its website.

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I was able to get past POST with AHCI enabled..dnt know what changed but it did go past that andI was able to enter the bios and change the boot priority to boot form HDD first..but now again it gets stuck on the windows logo and crashes...

Should I even try to boot into windows with SSD as a slave or thats not even an option.. should I be installing windows directly on SSD (leaving windows instact on HDD) and make ssd first boot option?

My ultimate goal is to migrate my c:/ instlltion to SSD without re installing OS :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I was able to boot into another system with IDE enabled and SSD attached.

Under disk managed it shows as unallocated space as it should.

So whats the prob with my main machine.. why cant I load into it with SSD attached and boot from HDD :/

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
If I understand correctly, you have Windows installed on a HDD, have connected the SSD to that system, changed Windows to AHCI and then cannot boot?

If so, problem is you cannot change the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS and boot from the HDD if Windows was previously installed with the SATA mode set to IDE. You need to change BIOS back to IDE, boot from the HDD, then make changes to Windows Registry, shut down, *THEN* change to AHCI in BIOS and boot into Windows.

This should work to change the Registry settings (from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976):

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
**OR**

Simply connect the SSD, disconnect the HDD, and install Windows from a DVD or USB stick. You will, of course, need to reinstall all your apps, but this is actually the preferred way by many experienced users.

Solution

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
ok finally figured it out... apparently one of the 6 sata ports worked..not surewhy others are not working.

for the record I had it as IDE in bios..

no backing up everything and will try to install.. lets see how that goes.

hardrock12

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

Thnks.. i think i will end up doing that..
the original issue was with ssd connected I couldnt even get into windows no matter what I did.. turned out the sata port I was connecting the ssd was the issue.. i did multiple combinations of hdd+ssd on different ports and finally one worked.. not sure what the problem was..

Now that I am in windows with ssd connected.. i ll do that as you said..
These are my steps to follow now

1. backup C:/
2. Disconnect HDD
3. Set BIOS to AHCI.. and install windows from dvd on SSD
4. Connect HDD and format it.

The only question is will it boot with SSD and HDD both having windows installed. I guess I can choose the boot order..will have to see..

Thanks will report back later once its done.! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
If Windows was installed on the HDD with the SATA ports in IDE mode, I doubt it can boot into Windows with the SATA ports in AHCI mode, even if you select it as the first boot drive. (Unless you go through the rigamarole to change Registry settings on the HDD's Windows.)

Glad you've got a workable solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.