Galaxy Launches 2-Year-old Graphics Card. Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ricin[/nom]1. Buy 2 year old technology for next to nothing.2. Market it as a pro product with a pro price.3. Corporations buy it because IT managers are retarded.4. Profit![/citation]

What corporations buy gaming-grade video cards for workstations?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
from the toms gfx chart, a true 9800 GTX SLI (not GTX+) is around the perf of a single 285 or below 5850 and above 4890

Now if they can tweak it more...

Those that didn't jump on ATI's bandwagon like XFX is suffering for it now, and dang it I wish evga/BFG would jump in with lifetime warranty models...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ricin[/nom]1. Buy 2 year old technology for next to nothing.2. Market it as a pro product with a pro price.3. Corporations buy it because IT managers are retarded.4. Profit![/citation]

+ Infinity to this one, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! so true!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I'm sure if nvidia released it they'd call it a GTX 390 so everyone could buy old tech again and think its new. Nevermind its slower and has less features.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]stradric[/nom]What corporations buy gaming-grade video cards for workstations?[/citation]

The ones that have some users, like some of ours, that open an AutoCad design once or twice a day to view it, make a very minor update, then close it. (As opposed to those that spend their entire day working on the original design.)

Not every corporate user needs a Quadro card, but we all know that integrated graphics are barely enough for anything.

The real question, why pay $150 or $200 for this card, plus the extra $60 for a replacement power supply for every desktop for said users, when we will just buy a 1GB 9800 GT.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]I don't know, I think a 2 gpu configuration like this is too extreme for the more casual gamer who won't care for DX11[/citation]
I agree, with PC games being kiddie console ports now the need for a killer rig is gone. I nice single GPU solution will do any game fine and reduce the heat and power requirments on your rig at the same time.
I run a older GTX 285 with a Q9650 CPU and their is not a PC game out there that I can not run at 1920 x 1200.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Two things could make this viable - $100-$150 range, as then it is insanely competitive to equivalent cards; keep in mind per the article this is 1gb per chip, not 512mb like on the 9800GX2. So it's like a GX2 with double the amount of usable mem. That's ... not anything to laugh at. For those of you who doubt, run GTAIV with a 9800GX2, and you'll see what I mean.

also, if they incorporated "hybrid" technologies like the newer cards... What, a 9800GX2 idles at just under 200W? They can drop that severely by enabling a "shut half of it down and underclock the active card" sort of deal when not playing a game.

Those two things at $100-$150 makes this a steal. Now, adding other things onto it, like faster mem, would be icing on the cake.

There was news, apparently, in 2008, of the 9800GX2 getting 2GB of mem (1/1). Maybe this is it?

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Also, for those who scoff at the validity of even a normal 9800GX2 (512/512) in the $100-$150 price range, consider how this card performs next to a GTX 285 @ something like 1650x1080. The biggest limitation is its memory.

hanson308

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]This is great for all of those people who missed the chance at a voodoo5 card from 3dfx.[/citation]

it's sad to read this as it's N that has 3dfx company being put to cease operation.

i remember once I read that N has hired nearly whole team of R&D from 3dfx and then the poor GLIDE can do nothing but become history.

hanson308

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chris13th[/nom]It would probably perform the same as the 9800 GX2. Since Nvidia hasn't been pumping out anything new, they have to make their money somehow.[/citation]

N has "collaborated" with major game company to put some ati-oriented-adverse code so that ATI ran less effectively. That means N can use lower tech to beat ATI.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Ahem, could Fermi please stand up? This is not good PR.

I'm not being mean or anything, but unless Fermi blows the socks off the most hard-core gamer-guru then nVidia will have to sit yet another generation on the sideline. I personally want them to have a good product to keep prices reasonable and stop stagnation.
The only bright side I can see from an nVidia failure is they would be ripe for a buyout by a big tech firm, enabling their R&D to get a massive boost.
But who would buy them? Intel? IBM? Google? Microsoft?
Don't say it couldn't happen because people used to say the same thing about Voodoo.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I'm amazed that this guy gets +20 for this post when this card obviously isn't suitable for an IT environment. Looks more like a -20 comment to me just for apparantly being non-IT. But on the other hand there are some points. A lot of IT managers might not know a lot and just are fresh out of college with an MIS degree and no experience. But also you are forgetting budget. Sometimes companies buy a bunch of crap to keep their budget high so when the company audits them, they'll get the same budget the following year. It doesn't always have to do with someone in management being "stupid". It actually is more smart just in case IT needs more things in the future rather than working off of a cut budget.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I'm amazed that this guy gets +20 for this post when this card obviously isn't suitable for an IT environment. Looks more like a -20 comment to me just for apparantly being non-IT. But on the other hand there are some points. A lot of IT managers might not know a lot and just are fresh out of college with an MIS degree and no experience. But also you are forgetting budget. Sometimes companies buy a bunch of crap to keep their budget high so when the company audits them, they'll get the same budget the following year. It doesn't always have to do with someone in management being "stupid". It actually is more smart just in case IT needs more things in the future rather than working off of a cut budget.[/citation]

Precisely...

G

It would be interesting if IBM purchased NVdia...Then, I believe, Intel, AMD, and IBM would be me more equal than not...

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Nothing is too little too late if it's the right price. If this card goes for around $100, you bet your last dollar it will sell because for the performance of a GTX 275 at that price, I'll buy two!

Status
Not open for further replies.