Galaxy Launches 2-Year-old Graphics Card. Why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
This new card probably uses the newer more energy efficient 9800GT chips which can currently be found on cards without the need for a PCIE power connector. This means, less power draw and less heat so they could clock the cards higher and not need such a huge cooler. This, plus twice the RAM means this card would be much better than the old 9800GX2.
And, like most of you have stated, the price is what really matters here. They have to price it so it murders the competition in the same price range to make it sell. Otherwise, it isn't worth giving up DX11 and other goodies like Eyefinity unless you get much better frame-rates.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Most graphics cards put out fill what would be called the "bleeding edge;" that is to say, they are designed to be close to BARELY ready for full production. Over time, tweaks to design and production methods will improve effectiveness and efficiency, though in the fast-paced market of graphics cards, this rarely comes in time to have hope of competing with what's new; the best that gets seen are some quick die shrinks (usually half-node ones) that often also serve to carry "experiments" in design for future cards.

If Galaxy manages to make this a card that goes out smoothly, it should actually sell well. That is to say, if they get, say, better performance than a pair of 9800 GTX+ cards in SLi, and get a low TDP (at least idle TDP) while they're at it, and can produce and sell them cheaply, it'll definitely have a market.

Remember, the performance crown-wearer never makes the most money; it's the more practical sub-top and mid-range cards that make up the most sales and money at retail. G92's a technology that's been tried and proven... And used again, and again, and again, even if to the dismay of many enthusiasts. So if it works, why not give it another shot? The only potential problem is the PCB length, which I'll grant has me a little concerned.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Man I'm still running an 8800 GTS and I'm not even considering upgrading. Rock solid performance, great linux drivers. If that previous sentence wasn't a clue, I'm not much of a gamer though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.