Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Student Edition Could Hurt Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
$249 for dual-core, 8GB storage and a 1024x600 screen? That's a serious step down from the Nexus 7. Even with the keyboard, it would be a tough sell at $199 and no competition at $249. What are they thinking?

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Adding the keyboard doesn't "make up" the difference. Lower resolution and dual-core processors aren't a problem that can be solved later a keyboard is.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Doubtful. But even if it could, I hope students enjoy losing all of their session notes because of crappy unstable apps that constantly crash mid-use. I'm a fan of android devices for phones and media-consumption, but it still can't handle productivity reliably. Not to the point where I'd use it if I were a student.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
My wife has a Galaxy 2 and the device is high quality. This is not to say that the article is correct but the Galaxy 2 works well and has many features. I originally bought her a lenovo A1 but that tablet is borked. Newegg allowed me to exchange it for the Samsung and pay the difference. I would have bought her a Nexus 7 if Newegg carried it which they do not. However she loves her new tablet, she uses it all the time. The fact it only has a dual core processor is not an issue, its quick, has a fast boot up time and does what she wants it to.

I imagine this wille be voted down but I thought it might help to get a different opinion than the above "nope's, I don't think so's, and what were they thinking' comments.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I suppose this would be more appealing to students that care less about specs and more of the convince of the keyboard.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]It comes in a white box, and it has white plastic. I think this looks like an iPad, someone at apple should take note.[/citation]

So true, I am so confused by this. Everybody knows that Apple created the color white. Steve Jobs invented it!

dffeitlstp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Samsung's mood is the problem I have with it. Samsung borked my Moment Android phone after one update. Not going back for more disappointment...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
All the Android skins I've seen are crap. That alone makes the Nexus 7 win. (besides, it has a USB port, so can't I just use any old keyboard I have lying around?)

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I returned a friend's Nook (which is decent in it's own right) for this several months ago and can't be happier. This little tablet is what it is, and does the functions of a tablet just fine. Wow, you critics who slam the thing on specs obviously have never used one, do you really need a quad core to run apps? Is your manhood at stake if you don't bash inferior powered devices ? I don't get why you need to attack the thing, it's just a fucking tablet, get over yourselves.

Since Samsung is gearing their tab toward students it might be a better deal.
The Nexus devices does not support WPA/WPA2 Enterprise WiFi (I contacted Google support), used in many colleges, universities & schools.
You could add a 32GB SDHC to a Samsung Tab for $20 or less, so storage is not an issue.
I have both devices and the both perform very good, most people will not see the deference in performance.

Google support conversation:
(for real and the person did not have a accent)
me: Hi, I am not able to connect to WPA/WPA2 Enterprise WiFi networks.
Google: Are you able to connect at McDonald's? Because if you do the problem is not with the Nexus device.
Me: I have not been around a McDonald's since I got the device. I usually do not frequent that place.
Google: Is the device connecting to your home WiFi?
Me: Yes.
Google: The device works and the problem is with your enterprise network.
Me: I have tried several devices (Samsung Nexus phone, Samsung Tab, Asus Transformer, etc) and they all connect, so the network is working just fine.
We went back and forth and he put me on hold...came back after a minute.
Google: Sorry for putting you on hold but I was told that the Asus Nexus 7 does not support WPA/WPA2 Enterprise WiFi.
Me: Thanks...Have a nice day.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]I imagine this wille be voted down but I thought it might help to get a different opinion than the above "nope's, I don't think so's, and what were they thinking' comments.[/citation]
No, you don't. Dual-core is good enough.

The above "nope"s are saying the article is nonsense. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is much worse (featurewise) than Nexus 7 yet is more expensive.

You are saying without comparing with Nexus 7, GT 2 7.0 is good enough. :D

[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Doubtful. But even if it could, I hope students enjoy losing all of their session notes because of crappy unstable apps that constantly crash mid-use. I'm a fan of android devices for phones and media-consumption, but it still can't handle productivity reliably. Not to the point where I'd use it if I were a student.[/citation]
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Doubtful. But even if it could, I hope students enjoy losing all of their session notes because of crappy unstable apps that constantly crash mid-use. I'm a fan of android devices for phones and media-consumption, but it still can't handle productivity reliably. Not to the point where I'd use it if I were a student.[/citation]
I have 4 Android Tablets and an Android Phone have not had any problems with any of my devices. None of them have ever had a problem with unstalbe apps or crashes.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]Google: Sorry for putting you on hold but I was told that the Asus Nexus 7 does not support WPA/WPA2 Enterprise WiFi.Me: Thanks...Have a nice day.[/citation] What fracking idiot thought that NOT having WPA2 is a good idea? Its been around for more than a few years.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]csbeer[/nom]I don't get why you need to attack the thing, it's just a fucking tablet, get over yourselves.[/citation] Nobody is saying that this Samsung is a POS because it just is. The problem is that its become out-dated for the price they are asking for it.

Would you spend $200 for a Samsung Galaxy S1 or $200 for a Samsung Galaxy S3 - today? Of course you wouldn't. Why? The S1 is a two year old design that is a POS in every way compared to the S3.

The Nexus7 at $200 is better than this 7" Samsung product that is $250 which includes a $50 keyboard. If they offered it for $150, it would be an excellent deal.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I have a Nexus 7, it's a nice little device, and I use it frequently enough, but I'd never try to actually use it as a tool for work. A 10" with great pen input might work for taking notes. If you need to type though, get a notebook.

"The newest innovation in computing - a tablet with a keyboard that's permanently attached and properly weighted, so it won't fall off, doesn't require a stand, and won't flip over!"

G

Samsung seem to use really bad quality battery in most of their electronic device. I wouldnt be surprise if it stop charging after 1 year of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.