[SOLVED] Game crashes after GPU Usage reaching 100%

Nov 16, 2020
Hey there.

I've been experiencing some frequent game crashes recently. This mostly happens with very demaning games (such as Battlefront 2). I've kept MSI Afterburner open during the crashes and noticed, that the crashes always happen, when the GPU usage reaches 100%.
I already contacted Nvidia support, they were however unable to solve the issue. Is there a way to cap the GPU usage or prevent it from crashing?

My Setup:

MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X (overclocked)
Intel i7 9700K (overclocked)
16 GB RAM

I'm thankful for your ideas and help.

With best regards

Solution
First, turn off all your overclocks and see how it goes. I use to overclock my CPU for Battlefield games but now it crashes so I set it back to stock (had system since 2016). Hardware does have a limit for how long it can put up with an overlock, most people just drop it a few Hz.

Rolling back a driver either with device manager or if you have some old drivers downloaded try them out to see if that fixes it. The new GTX 1080 drivers make my screen flicker so I rolled mine back.

Run a full Prime 95 test and if after while the system goes caput its the PSU most likely at fault, this is why I keep a spare PSU so I can test stuff.

For the GPU run Furmark and if it crashes or the whole PC 'clicks' off its most likely GPU, again spare...
Hey there.

I've been experiencing some frequent game crashes recently. This mostly happens with very demaning games (such as Battlefront 2). I've kept MSI Afterburner open during the crashes and noticed, that the crashes always happen, when the GPU usage reaches 100%.
I already contacted Nvidia support, they were however unable to solve the issue. Is there a way to cap the GPU usage or prevent it from crashing?

My Setup:

MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X (overclocked)
Intel i7 9700K (overclocked)
16 GB RAM

I'm thankful for your ideas and help.

With best regards
What does Afterburner say about your GPU/CPU temperatures when it reaches 100%?

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
What is the make/model of your PSU? How old is it?

Almost all modern PSUs will simply cut power should they exceed their maximum power output, so it seems unlikely that exclusively the game would crash if that were the case.

Wuulf, have you attempted to replicate the issue with all clocks stock? If it continues to crash under such circumstances I'd reinstall the GPU drivers, if you haven't already, and see if that has any effect.

Thanks,
Jesse.

First, turn off all your overclocks and see how it goes. I use to overclock my CPU for Battlefield games but now it crashes so I set it back to stock (had system since 2016). Hardware does have a limit for how long it can put up with an overlock, most people just drop it a few Hz.

Rolling back a driver either with device manager or if you have some old drivers downloaded try them out to see if that fixes it. The new GTX 1080 drivers make my screen flicker so I rolled mine back.

Run a full Prime 95 test and if after while the system goes caput its the PSU most likely at fault, this is why I keep a spare PSU so I can test stuff.

For the GPU run Furmark and if it crashes or the whole PC 'clicks' off its most likely GPU, again spare parts would be handy.

Solution