Game Developers Speaking Out Against DRM

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see noninvasive DRM become accepted again - it brings me back to the days of Halo for PC, which I have installed on 40+ different instances of machines.

Yay for those whose brains actually work!

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
does no one see a problem. when i buy something it is my property and that means the company already has the money that i spent on the good. it is therefore my choice on what i can do with it. if i sell it to gamestop it's the same thing as if i'm selling it to a friend or a stranger who wants to buy the game, where as gamestop acts as an agent to make trades and exchanges easier.

the problem is that there is no problem with gamestop selling used games because those used games are from people who bought them new, which means the game companies already have their share, and the buyer of that game has the option to sell it since it's his property now. so why should the game company get double dip on profits from used games if they already got shares of the sales from the first purchase?

truly the guy speaks the truth, the use of drm is not to prevent piracy but ownership. this means that the game companies aren't trying to sell you a product to own but are trying to sell you a rental of the game.

G

neiroatopelcc:

You are dead wrong about cracking games "in order to play the legal backup copy of a game you have bought." The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) made it a FEDERAL CRIME to circumvent--by any means, for any purpose--copyright protection. The way the law is worded, if you tried to rip a CD with one piece of software and it failed, and then you tried a different piece of software, you technically violated DMCA because you "circumvented" copy protection on the disc.

I'm not saying it's WRONG to circumvent copy protection for one's own legitimate backup use. It's simply illegal. Which is why the DMCA is pure evil. Thank you RIAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.