[SOLVED] Game freezes entire PC ?

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Modern Warfare II Remastered on Steam freezes all the time either during or right after "shader optimization" I have tried 50 million dif fixes and cannot fix it. It freezes my whole PC . It goes all black after a few, then says "Failure to load security..." because even Ctrl Alt Delete doesnt work once it freezes. I have to manually power button it to shut it down. Any ideas?

What I've tried..

• Reinstalled both Steam and the MW2 Remastered Game.
  • Rolled back graphics driver, nothing, then updated to latest too. Same.
  • Repaired any errors in Event Viewer.
  • Checked all Startup processes.
  • Turned off Hyper Threading.
  • Updated Firmware to my GFX card.
  • Updated Windows with any updates.
  • Watched HWID for any temp spikes.
  • Set my ICUE to EXTREME to even further keep the CPU cooler. (didnt change anything) just ran cooler.

I've honestly ran out of ideas. Here are my System Specs.

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i9 9900KF @ 3.60GHz 29 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1065MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Taichi (CPUSocket) 28 °C
Graphics
HISENSE (3840x2160@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (Gigabyte) 34 °C
Storage
14902GB Seagate ST16000NM003G-2KH113 (SATA ) 36 °C
14902GB Seagate ST16000NM003G-2KH113 (SATA ) 39 °C
7452GB Western Digital WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0 (SATA ) 40 °C
11176GB Seagate ST12000NM0007-2A1101 (SATA ) 36 °C
931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
FxSound Audio Enhancer
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Solution
Some funny settings. Your 'Summary' lists a 2Gb 3080, that's funny. You are also running your ram at 2133MHz, not the xmp 3600.

What cooler are you running? Have you tested other games with same or different results?

According to what I find with Google, there's issues with 'On demand Texture Streaming' and occasionally 'Weapon Blur', so try disable those. There can also be issues with 3rd party audio codecs, which may or may not include the FxSound Audio Enhancer.

Other software and/or drivers / settings cause more in-game issues than all other issues combined. The fact that safe-mode runs fine and other modes crash is a dead giveaway. There's a setting(s) or instruction(s) enabled in other modes, that's disabled in safe mode...

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
just figured id note, someone mention maybe the SSD is too full? Here are the specs for the SSD with my games on it.

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB (SSD)
Manufacturer SAMSUNG
Interface Unknown
Capacity 931 GB
Real size 1,000,204,886,016 bytes
RAID Type None
S.M.A.R.T
S.M.A.R.T not supported
Partition 0
Partition ID Disk #5, Partition #0
Disk Letter D:
File System NTFS
Volume Serial Number 56358216
Size 931 GB
Used Space 700 GB (75%)
Free Space 231 GB (25%)

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Have you deleted the contents of the "Shader Cache" folder and let games rebuild their shader cache.

Yes, however the game still crashes. Its weird, the game just freezes, my screen locks up but ctrl alt delete doesnt respond, i can move the mouse and my fans are all still spinning. I have to hold button down to reboot the pc. The pc must not fully crash as there are no crash dump files at all. It just shows "system was shut down wrong" in the reliability viewer. I am at a loss for whats causing this. My rig is pretty solid i have no idea why its freezing so hard with this game.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Have you checked the games files. Some times they get corrupted ,could be a skin,texture or cross cpu core call that causes it.
Steam games have this option.

Man ive done everything i can think of. Reinstalled the game, Reinstalled Steam. Ive checked integrity multiple times. Ive never heard of games freezing the entire PC. I can still move the mouse but it Beeps when i click, and nothing responds. I can get back to desktop but windows has completely locked up. I have to force reboot everytime. Then i reset the game to "safe mode" settings and its fine. Soon as i change settings to recommended or lower it works and eventually freezes again, rinse and repeat. I feel like its Graphical in some way but ive got a 3080 gigabyte card, it should be able to handle this game easily

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some funny settings. Your 'Summary' lists a 2Gb 3080, that's funny. You are also running your ram at 2133MHz, not the xmp 3600.

What cooler are you running? Have you tested other games with same or different results?

According to what I find with Google, there's issues with 'On demand Texture Streaming' and occasionally 'Weapon Blur', so try disable those. There can also be issues with 3rd party audio codecs, which may or may not include the FxSound Audio Enhancer.

Other software and/or drivers / settings cause more in-game issues than all other issues combined. The fact that safe-mode runs fine and other modes crash is a dead giveaway. There's a setting(s) or instruction(s) enabled in other modes, that's disabled in safe mode, figure out which and you'll be able to bypass the crashes.

Solution

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016

Other software and/or drivers / settings cause more in-game issues than all other issues combined. The fact that safe-mode runs fine and other modes crash is a dead giveaway. There's a setting(s) or instruction(s) enabled in other modes, that's disabled in safe mode, figure out which and you'll be able to bypass the crashes.

I have no idea why the Gigabyte 10gb Aorus 3080 reads that way lol.
Also, i found out that i am running the entirely wrong RAM for my board. So the XMP wont even load for me. I also just realized, you commented on that post i made! lol I am the guy with the entirely wrong ram for the ASrock board. The ram i have is running super slow because its two kits at the same time.
RAM
64.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1065MHz (15-15-15-36)

and its running at 1065mh lol... So im thinking thats a big big issue. The cooler i am running is the H150i Capellix pro by corsair. AIO. This also seems to be the only game that crashes my pc. Hell, its the only thing that has ever crashed it. It has always ran fine until i tried to OC it and realized the XMP wont even load then made the posts and realized my errors in ram choice.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Ah. That can explain a lot. But game errors and 'bug fixes' etc seem to be a common theme with AAA games today as they get rushed out the door and the general public becomes the testing Guinea pigs.

Yeah so last night or this morning rather, I updated my Audio/LAN drivers as well, to see if that fixed it, and nope. It's so strange how it happens. I can launch the game after it crashes my pc and it says do you want to run the game in Safe Mode. I say yes and it loads fine, so i start with the settings and it will let me play the game for a while and then eventually at random, it will just lock up the entire machine. I can still move the mouse while this happens and i can tab out of the game once, and it shows me the desktop, but nothing works. I even click the restart option on the start menu and it just says, restarting and spins indefinitely. I have no clue what else to try. Ive done everything i can think of. There just doesnt seem to be any reason in particular as to why its crashing the whole pc. Ive looked at HWMonitor to watch temps and it never gets above 55-57c. the CPU or the GPU. I just am at a loss now. No other game causes this issue. And the 3080 10gb gigabyte aorus gfx card should be more than capable of running this game at max. I mean even when you select "recommended" or performance based on hardware option it sets everything to like High or ultra. I tried disabling the FX sound drivers too, all other drivers except the one i use. Updated that as well. Its still doing it. But always random. Sometimes during the options screen when im tinkering, or sometimes after 5 games it just locks up. Its so random and makes no sense to me at all.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
It's the game. It's conflicting with something, even itself, which is why they put out multiple bug fixes that fix one thing and break three more.

I read on another post someone complaining about random Black screens and pc freezes and someone mentioned using DDU to uninstall the gfx driver completely and then try reinstalling. Should I give that a try? I am worried though because I run the i9 9900kf which is the CPU that doesnt come with built in display drivers for intel so you have to have a gfx card. Can i even uninstall my driver with DDU and then reinstall or will my whole display go black after i uninstall the driver ? I dont want to try that and end up with no way to see lol

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
@Karadjgne okay, so, something odd just started. I ran OCCT to test my PSU to make sure the power was fine. And during that test, my CPU temps skyrocket. Here is a photo. Any suggestion? That is REALLY hot for the i9 9900kf
CMpbyCJ.png

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
@Karadjgne okay, so, something odd just started. I ran OCCT to test my PSU to make sure the power was fine. And during that test, my CPU temps skyrocket. Here is a photo. Any suggestion? That is REALLY hot for the i9 9900kf
CMpbyCJ.png
33zkoxh.png

okay so maybe OCCT is inaccurately displaying my cpu temps. I ran both the Intel diagnostic cpu test and the CPU-Z test and the temps never got above 65c with100% load. Heres a screenshot. What you think @Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A cpu works from instruction sets that are compatible. Some code is translated and compiled faster with some instructions than others. AVX is Advanced Vector eXtensions, an instruction set for particles in explosions etc that's extremely fast and can push a cpu to a virtual 130ish % load. Occt uses AVX, as does linpack, IBT, Aida64 by default and Prime95 by option.

Running Any AVX / AVX2 without an offset in bios to lower clock speeds is going to try and cook a cpu. It's the main reason why occt in particular has a 80° default cutoff. Occt and Aida64 are really good for Stability testing, but because of stuff like AVX use, they are lousy for temps as their load isn't a consistent 100%.

DDU is a Driver Deleter Utility that removes any and all 3rd party drivers, extensions, registry entries etc. Nvidia finally got their head out of their *** and worked with Microsoft. Windows now includes native support for monitors using the nvidia whql drivers. So you can safely remove all the additional 3d drivers etc and it won't affect the native windows drivers. Not having an igpu in the cpu simply means if a gpu is not installed you'll get a VGA Error on boot, but otherwise you'll still have functionality with nothing more than bios.

When you do it, it should take you through Safe Mode, as drivers and registry entries in use cannot be deleted, and Safe Mode does not enable any drivers other than system drivers at boot.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
A cpu works from instruction sets that are compatible. Some code is translated and compiled faster with some instructions than others. AVX is Advanced Vector eXtensions, an instruction set for particles in explosions etc that's extremely fast and can push a cpu to a virtual 130ish % load. Occt uses AVX, as does linpack, IBT, Aida64 by default and Prime95 by option.

Running Any AVX / AVX2 without an offset in bios to lower clock speeds is going to try and cook a cpu. It's the main reason why occt in particular has a 80° default cutoff. Occt and Aida64 are really good for Stability testing, but because of stuff like AVX use, they are lousy for temps as their load isn't a consistent 100%.

DDU is a Driver Deleter Utility that removes any and all 3rd party drivers, extensions, registry entries etc. Nvidia finally got their head out of their *** and worked with Microsoft. Windows now includes native support for monitors using the nvidia whql drivers. So you can safely remove all the additional 3d drivers etc and it won't affect the native windows drivers. Not having an igpu in the cpu simply means if a gpu is not installed you'll get a VGA Error on boot, but otherwise you'll still have functionality with nothing more than bios.

When you do it, it should take you through Safe Mode, as drivers and registry entries in use cannot be deleted, and Safe Mode does not enable any drivers other than system drivers at boot.

Yeah i was freaking tf out, im like 95c?? I was like omfg my cpu is toast. But after running two other stress tests it wont get above 65c which i think is very good under 100% load nonstop. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate all the knowledge, i will be getting the new ram soon. As for why my rig is crashing i dont know it has to be the game. I will try doing the DDU and fresh gfx install and go from there

Last edited: