Gamer Sues Over Being Addicted to MMO Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inveriti

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
It's worth noting that the reason this has gone past the initial screening is that in the initial phase of litigation, the allegations (that the producers know or should have known about and failed to warn about the addictive nature of the game, the game caused harm, etc.) are taken as true. This is a Fed. R. Civ. Pro. 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss. The next phase will be a motion for summary judgment, where the standard is whether no material issue of fact exists for a jury to decide upon. It's also likely that the plaintiff will past muster here, given the nature of negligence litigation.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Smallwood... lol.[/citation]
Why are you laughing? His name was much worse before he had it legally changed from littleprick.

G

Oh so this is news in a country where a theif can sue you if he hurts himself breaking into your house.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Although he never called enough is enough, the companies do make a purposeful attempt to addict users. The game should be 'so good' that I don't want to stop playing it, but it should not be psychologically designed to addict me. That's my point of view, however I've already made the choice to stay away from MMO's because I know I can't 'just play' an MMO because it turns into an addiction. In the end, YOU have to know and be responsible for your limits. Although I would like to see the deceptive game design stop.

PTR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
somebody remind this fellow not to reproduce. this is proof that human stupidity can rival God's power.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
While I do not believe this guy deserves any money, it might just be a good thing if game companies had to think twice before adding in "RPG" type content.

Eg, Starcraft II (and I'm guessing some other RTS games) now have "Achievements" that reward time played instead of skill, and damage the quality of ladder play due to adding arbitrary incentives that distract from the overall goal: to win.

If their addictive nature gets them removed from legal reasons, their negative impact on multiplayer gameplay disappears.

As for RPGs themselves, think how much better gaming might be if all those development hours were actually spent on decent games.

carcharocles_theory

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Chocolate is addictive. Should I sue Hershey's?
Pizza is addictive. Should I sue Papa John's?
If I'm addicted to collecting fossil shark teeth.... who do I sue then?
ANYTHING that can cause pleasure is potentially addictive...
Man up Craig, it's time you take responsibility for your own problems and stop blaming everyone else. No one forced you to buy this game. It wasn't a doctor's prescription that took hold of you. You played it of your own free will and got a little too into it.

serra

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Oddly, since Linage is a subscription game, someone was enabling him, i.e. paying his bills for him. That is who he should be after, not the game itself. As for NCSoft, they should ban him for life, that would fix him.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
This poor bastard needs to learn some self control and find some self esteem. Each individual is directly responsible for almost everything he or she does. If you find yourself playing a game to much, then stop. And if you lack the control to do so, then eat a bullet and die. Weak willed fat bastard. I'm tired of putting negligence on the side of the creator of anything. "I wanna sue Hue Heffner for showing me too many big boobs, it has ruined my perception of a normal woman." really ??

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
@thaskew01 "Oh so this is news in a country where a theif can sue you if he hurts himself breaking into your house."

That's an urban legend and never really happened.

Miyasashi

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
"unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends."

It's a miracle he's able to sue a company then!

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]While I do not believe this guy deserves any money, it might just be a good thing if game companies had to think twice before adding in "RPG" type content.Eg, Starcraft II (and I'm guessing some other RTS games) now have "Achievements" that reward time played instead of skill, and damage the quality of ladder play due to adding arbitrary incentives that distract from the overall goal: to win.If their addictive nature gets them removed from legal reasons, their negative impact on multiplayer gameplay disappears.As for RPGs themselves, think how much better gaming might be if all those development hours were actually spent on decent games.[/citation]
so this guy has no basis to sue then

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
He should sue himself for being stupid, then I'm going to sue him for making me not stop thinking how stupid he is, then I'm going to sue all of you for being in this forum and then sue myself because I got nothing else to do.

Only a stupid lawyer will represent this person, I will sue their... I should stop now before someone will sue me as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.