Question Games are crashing and I can't find the solution ?

Oct 4, 2023
Hello there.

I got problem and probably a software issue but I'm trying to exclude hardware problems first.
My system is:

MOBO: Asus ROG Z790
CPU: intel i7-13700k
ram: 2x16 gb 6000 mhz (xmp enabled)
SSD: 500 gb 960 evo (where windows installed)
GPU: RTX 4080
PSU: Asus strix 1000w ATX 3.0 (recently changed from corsair rm750x)

I was trying to play starfield and cyberpunk 2077 2.0 but in starfield I was getting constant crashes without error code. Performance was good, because of game is not optimized, I was getting 70-95 fps at max settings. But especially in crowded areas I was getting load of crashes. I unistalled msi afterburner and closed overclock. Crashes went on but not frequent before.
At cyberpunk I cant even see the menu. All the time steam tells me "there is a file missing" error and crashes. Sometimes game starts and when I benchmarked there is no performance issues but when I try to play the game I got crash again. Totally unplayable.
Both of the games installed on my new 990 pro SSD.

In meantime my Opera browser getting crashes and restarting too.

I tried everything. Unistall graphic drivers with DDU and reinstalled them, unistall and reinstall game and last resort I reinstalled my windows. But nothing changed.

I did 3 min benchmark test in BurnInTest application and there was no error tests were passed. I'm suspecting about new PSU but, my system boots properly and system doesnt restart itself randomly. I cant say if I have software or hardware problem right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: forgot to mention; at first I used 12VHPWR cable which supplies to 600W for graphics card and I couldnt trust it so I reverted to old 3 PCIE cables.

Reactions: Fredoccine
Solution
Thank you I will try this aswell. For me something that worked was undervolting my gpu.
I think I solved the problem. Problem was my overclock gpu, ram or cpu doesnt matter. If I overclock any part of pc, the system become unstable. I think the problem is with my new psu, I recently changed to asus rog aura 1000w from corsair rm750x and before that all of my parts were overclocked and I had zero issues.
I'm going to contact asus support maybe I have faulty psu.
Right now my graphics card, ram and cpu run at stock settings and everything is good.
Yesterday I played starfield for hours and got zero crashes.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you say crash, what are you trying to mean here? The game closes to desktop GUI or the system reboots?

Unistall graphic drivers with DDU and reinstalled them, unistall and reinstall game and last resort I reinstalled my windows
That's 3 things. Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Was this migrated from an older system/platform?

Reactions: DelvartheIron
Oct 4, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you say crash, what are you trying to mean here? The game closes to desktop GUI or the system reboots?

Unistall graphic drivers with DDU and reinstalled them, unistall and reinstall game and last resort I reinstalled my windows
That's 3 things. Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Was this migrated from an older system/platform?
by crash I mean mainly going back to desktop with no error code and game closes. But sometimes It freezes PC that I need to reboot with power button.
My OS installed on 500 gb 960 evo. I was using this one with my old MOBO, I totally cleaned that SSD and reinstalled my OS again with new system. So no, I didnt migrate my OS.

Oct 4, 2023
Hello there.

I got problem and probably a software issue but I'm trying to exclude hardware problems first.
My system is:

MOBO: Asus ROG Z790
CPU: intel i7-13700k
ram: 2x16 gb 6000 mhz (xmp enabled)
GPU: RTX 4080
PSU: Asus strix 1000w ATX 3.0 (recently changed from corsair rm750x)

I was trying to play starfield and cyberpunk 2077 2.0 but in starfield I was getting constant crashes without error code. Performance was good, because of game is not optimized, I was getting 70-95 fps at max settings. But especially in crowded areas I was getting load of crashes. I unistalled msi afterburner and closed overclock. Crashes went on but not frequent before.
At cyberpunk I cant even see the menu. All the time steam tells me "there is a file missing" error and crashes. Sometimes game starts and when I benchmarked there is no performance issues but when I try to play the game I got crash again. Totally unplayable.
Both of the games installed on my new 990 pro SSD.

In meantime my Opera browser getting crashes and restarting too.

I tried everything. Unistall graphic drivers with DDU and reinstalled them, unistall and reinstall game and last resort I reinstalled my windows. But nothing changed.

I did 3 min benchmark test in BurnInTest application and there was no error tests were passed. I'm suspecting about new PSU but, my system boots properly and system doesnt restart itself randomly. I cant say if I have software or hardware problem right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: forgot to mention; at first I used 12VHPWR cable which supplies to 600W for graphics card and I couldnt trust it so I reverted to old 3 PCIE cables.
Im having the same issues, if you figure it out please let me know how to fix.

Oct 4, 2023
I did a little research some people found their overclocked cpu and/or xmp enabled ram causing the problem. right now I'm on call at my hospital. as soon as I go home, I'll try those fixes. I'll keep you posted.
Ok thanks man ive been stuck trying to fix this issue for like 3 weeks and nothing is helping

Oct 4, 2023
Ok thanks man ive been stuck trying to fix this issue for like 3 weeks and nothing is helping
updated my z790 mobo's BIOS today and disabled xmp. before disabling xmp , I run memtest for rams and they passed all tests without flaw. But I disabled xmp anyway. Played starfield first and got crash after 1 hours. In this hour I traveled planets and did one main quest. When I try to land new atlantis game crashed to desktop.
The weird thing is; cyberpunk 2.01 patch came out, I installed it and try to run game 3 times. Third time game started and played for 30 mins without crash.

Don't know right now, If bios update, disabling xmp or patch for cyberpunk did the trick. But I'm run more tests to find stability.

Oct 4, 2023
A quick update. since bios update and disabling xmp I finally managed to play starfield nonstop for hours. Game crashed to desktop on rare occasions. But... Yeah there is a really stupid "but" here.
I updated the game to 1.7.36 version today and boom crashes are back again. I cant tell how stupid this situation really.

Oct 4, 2023
Another update and maybe possible fix but what cost I might say.
I clean installed my windows os again to my newer ssd and reinstalled games again. But after that starfield and cyberpunk started to crash at start.
My cpu has AI overclocked via BIOS and I returned it to stock settings. And voila! System started to act even better. At armoury crate my cpu wattages became more flexible than before.
And maybe the best part, starfield started with no issues and built shaders without problem.

Run benchmark in cyberpunk(dlss quality, all others maxed) got 110 fps average. Was having 120-125 with oc on but it seems system was unstable.

Oct 4, 2023
Another update and maybe possible fix but what cost I might say.
I clean installed my windows os again to my newer ssd and reinstalled games again. But after that starfield and cyberpunk started to crash at start.
My cpu has AI overclocked via BIOS and I returned it to stock settings. And voila! System started to act even better. At armoury crate my cpu wattages became more flexible than before.
And maybe the best part, starfield started with no issues and built shaders without problem.

Run benchmark in cyberpunk(dlss quality, all others maxed) got 110 fps average. Was having 120-125 with oc on but it seems system was unstable.
Thank you I will try this aswell. For me something that worked was undervolting my gpu.

Oct 4, 2023
I think I solved the problem. Problem was my overclock gpu, ram or cpu doesnt matter. If I overclock any part of pc, the system become unstable. I think the problem is with my new psu, I recently changed to asus rog aura 1000w from corsair rm750x and before that all of my parts were overclocked and I had zero issues.
I'm going to contact asus support maybe I have faulty psu.
Right now my graphics card, ram and cpu run at stock settings and everything is good.
Yesterday I played starfield for hours and got zero crashes.

Solution
Oct 4, 2023
After trying lots of fixes my problem is identified by Intel itself. Thanks to their microcode failure or something after a while my processor too start failing like they mentioned.
And after reaching customer service they offered a replacement for my processor. Bad businness.