[SOLVED] Games are downloading slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2021
Hi all i have a gigabyte line dl and ul the same,when i download games from uplay,steam and epic games it wont download more than 7mbps and Downloading applications from the windows store,download at gigabyte .Ive done speed tests my download and upload are a gigabyte so its not my connection.

Please can you help
Thanks

Solution
First I would watch the download in the network tab of the resource manager. You should see it open multiple streams you can also see the latency for each. I don't know where the optimum servers are for download when you are in south africa. EU tends to be my guess.
The latency should be less than 250ms BUT the reason these programs run multiple streams is to fix some of the issues of transferring data on a high latency connection. Most game downloader use methods used by torrent to split files and transfer them in parallel.

Maybe try to run speedtest and test a number of different servers located in the city you think the game download server resides. You can to a point guess this by taking the IP you see in the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you tethered to the www using Ethernet or Wireless? Any intermediary device between the ISP and your platform(PC/laptop)? For the sake of relevance, where are you located? often times during the end of the year, you can see server maintenance take place, not to mention the higher traffic on game servers as there are more people on said servers compared to other times of the year.

Dec 7, 2021
Thank you for your response. I’m connected via Ethernet. I’m located in South Africa.

I had lte before I got fibre and it was the exact same thing with downloading games although the speed wasn’t as fast but it capped at 7mbs. I’m not sure if it’s the Country that’s the issue. Of of curiosity would you be able to get 1gb on uplay or steam?

First I would watch the download in the network tab of the resource manager. You should see it open multiple streams you can also see the latency for each. I don't know where the optimum servers are for download when you are in south africa. EU tends to be my guess.
The latency should be less than 250ms BUT the reason these programs run multiple streams is to fix some of the issues of transferring data on a high latency connection. Most game downloader use methods used by torrent to split files and transfer them in parallel.

Maybe try to run speedtest and test a number of different servers located in the city you think the game download server resides. You can to a point guess this by taking the IP you see in the resource manger while it is download and try to use one of the geo locate web sites to look it up.

Speedtest on gigabit connections tend to only test that high when you choose a location close to your house. It still should be massively higher than 7mbps even if you speedtest to the EU.

My guess is if you find nothing testing the actual network it is some program on your PC doing this. Game downloaders do not run in the browser so some program may be limiting this traffic. The key troublemaker tend to be "gamer" network software bundled with motherboards and video cards.
Has many names but anything that talks about giving some type of program (ie games) priority or QoS is suspect. One of the very common ones is called CFOSspeed.

Note if actually is the network this is a hard things to do much about. You might consider a VPN. Some of the so called "gamer" vpn services have purchased access on under sea fiber so they can get more control over the path. This is extremely hit and miss if it helps. In theory it should always be slower to go via a vpn since you must go the vpn company data center and then finally to the end server location. It does not help much in the USA or the EU where there is lots of good connectivity between ISP more this is something used in asia. South africa tends to be far away from most server location since the fiber runs up both coasts which is a long way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.