Question Games are running bellow expected with a Gigabyte 1050ti and AMR Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a pre-built gaming computer from ebuyer and games are running a lot slower than what you would expect from a 1050ti.

Firstly, in Fortnite even with all low settings at 1920 x 1080 I still see stuttering and low fps especially when there are a lot of players on screen. This could be due to the fact that I have Vsync on, however I need it on otherwise I experience unplayable screen tearing and gittering gameplay (I have used the monitor with other devices such as a Playstation 4 and a different PC and I did not run into the same problem.) I have experienced this issue after updating all of my drivers for the CPU, GPU, BIOS etc. therefore, at first I thought it was the temperatures. But, when tested after hours of gaming the temperatures on both the GPU and CPU were perfectly fine (CPU max: 61 degrees celcius + GPU max: 58 degrees celsius).

I have seen the same results on many other games such as Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider, and even Minecraft.

I beg that someone helps me troubleshoot this issue, thank you very much in advance.

Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz Quad Core CPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU
8GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM
240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Windows 10

P.S. When I used the integrated graphics (Vega 8), I also experienced below average frame rates.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a pre-built gaming computer from ebuyer and games are running a lot slower than what you would expect from a 1050ti.

Firstly, in Fortnite even with all low settings at 1920 x 1080 I still see stuttering and low fps especially when there are a lot of players on screen. This could be due to the fact that I have Vsync on, however I need it on otherwise I experience unplayable screen tearing and gittering gameplay (I have used the monitor with other devices such as a Playstation 4 and a different PC and I did not run into the same problem.) I have experienced this issue after updating all of my drivers for the CPU, GPU, BIOS etc. therefore, at first I thought it was the temperatures. But, when tested after hours of gaming the temperatures on both the GPU and CPU were perfectly fine (CPU max: 61 degrees celcius + GPU max: 58 degrees celsius).

I have seen the same results on many other games such as Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider, and even Minecraft.

I beg that someone helps me troubleshoot this issue, thank you very much in advance.

Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz Quad Core CPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU
8GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM
240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Windows 10

P.S. When I used the integrated graphics (Vega 8), I also experienced below average frame rates.
Why don't you just turn a framerate cap on at the same refresh rate of your monitor? Also be sure that Fortnite and your other games are installed on your SSD rather than your HDD. It's easy to forget to change the download location when installing games. I don't know what you've tried but I'd start there.

Furthermore, I'd try to make sure that you have other applications closed while playing games, 8GB of RAM will suffice, but with many other applications open, you can experience lag from that. Also remember that a Ryzen 3 is an older CPU and isn't as powerful as some of the newer CPU's that games might be assuming people have.

Oct 22, 2018
Why don't you just turn a framerate cap on at the same refresh rate of your monitor? Also be sure that Fortnite and your other games are installed on your SSD rather than your HDD. It's easy to forget to change the download location when installing games. I don't know what you've tried but I'd start there.

Furthermore, I'd try to make sure that you have other applications closed while playing games, 8GB of RAM will suffice, but with many other applications open, you can experience lag from that. Also remember that a Ryzen 3 is an older CPU and isn't as powerful as some of the newer CPU's that games might be assuming people have.
I'm aware that it isn't the best CPU and I know that having other applications open take up memory that the game could be using. But I've looked at how games run on the same spec PC and it seems to be a lot better than what I am experiencing. Also, turning Vsync off and putting a frame rate cap on gives the same result.

Fortnite is probably the only game installed onto my SSD as it is only a 240GB drive. I experience the same issue accross all games whether they're more or less demanding on the GPU and CPU. I feel as if I've tried everything so I need as much help as I can get.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
I'm aware that it isn't the best CPU and I know that having other applications open take up memory that the game could be using. But I've looked at how games run on the same spec PC and it seems to be a lot better than what I am experiencing. Also, turning Vsync off and putting a frame rate cap on gives the same result.

Fortnite is probably the only game installed onto my SSD as it is only a 240GB drive. I experience the same issue accross all games whether they're more or less demanding on the GPU and CPU. I feel as if I've tried everything so I need as much help as I can get.
I guess I'm trying to think of any common cause of poor performance, I don't think that it is your machine. The only thing that I could possibly wonder about is your power supply. I can't imagine that you have a PSU not capable of handling a 1050Ti but I guess it is worth an ask. If you happen to have a dying PSU (which if it's brand new it shouldn't be) or a PSU that isn't good enough for the PC (which again this shouldn't be the case because it's a prebuilt) your game performance would be affected.

If I come up with anything else to try, I'll let you know but for now I can't think of anything.

I take that back. Is there any chance that you might've accidentally downloaded some sort of virus or trojan on your PC? If you have, that would be a good explanation for the poor performance. If you want to check, here is a great piece of paid software that not only scans for viruses, it cleans them off your machine as well. Don't worry when you hear the word paid, it comes with an included 30-day free trial period. FYI, the site looks sketchy, but don't worry it's completely safe :)

I don't even know if that is your problem, but I suppose it's not a bad idea to check anyways.

Oct 22, 2018
I guess I'm trying to think of any common cause of poor performance, I don't think that it is your machine. The only thing that I could possibly wonder about is your power supply. I can't imagine that you have a PSU not capable of handling a 1050Ti but I guess it is worth an ask. If you happen to have a dying PSU (which if it's brand new it shouldn't be) or a PSU that isn't good enough for the PC (which again this shouldn't be the case because it's a prebuilt) your game performance would be affected.

If I come up with anything else to try, I'll let you know but for now I can't think of anything.

I take that back. Is there any chance that you might've accidentally downloaded some sort of virus or trojan on your PC? If you have, that would be a good explanation for the poor performance. If you want to check, here is a great piece of paid software that not only scans for viruses, it cleans them off your machine as well. Don't worry when you hear the word paid, it comes with an included 30-day free trial period. FYI, the site looks sketchy, but don't worry it's completely safe :)

I don't even know if that is your problem, but I suppose it's not a bad idea to check anyways.
I've recently scanned my PC using various different anti-virus applications and so far nothing has been found on both my HDD and SSD. But that is a good idea and I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

About the PSU, I have a 400W 80+ unit that I am unaware of the manufacturer. It might be a good idea to test the power supply and if it is pushing enough power through to all components, however I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

I really appreciate your help so far, hopefully I will find the issue someday. The main problem is that I currently don't have a job so if I wanted to test different hardware I can't at the moment.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Your issues are caused by VSYNC.

Nobody plays with VSYNC on anymore. VSYNC is so last decade.

Gamers use either AMD Free Sync or NVIDIA Gsync to eliminate tearing. So, get a monitor that supports GSYNC.

Reactions: hughes17

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Your issues are caused by VSYNC.

Nobody plays with VSYNC on anymore. VSYNC is so last decade.

Gamers use either AMD Free Sync or NVIDIA Gsync to eliminate tearing. So, get a monitor that supports GSYNC.
That's exactly what I was thinking...

I've recently scanned my PC using various different anti-virus applications and so far nothing has been found on both my HDD and SSD. But that is a good idea and I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

About the PSU, I have a 400W 80+ unit that I am unaware of the manufacturer. It might be a good idea to test the power supply and if it is pushing enough power through to all components, however I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

I really appreciate your help so far, hopefully I will find the issue someday. The main problem is that I currently don't have a job so if I wanted to test different hardware I can't at the moment.
If you download Nvidia Geforce Experience it will make your life 10x easier. Here is a link for that.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
While you are at it, buy a new PSU too as 400W is just barely enough for this system and causes the PSU to work near max when gaming something that's not optimal. I'd go for 500 or 550W. In addition, you should OC your CPU for better experience in games.

Oct 22, 2018
Update
Games are typically running a lot smoother now thank god. Although most of the solutions advised to me were useful and I will be sure to keep them in mind, the overall fix for this issue was changing the PCIE generation to GEN3 in the BIOS/UEFI because for some strange reason my computer was set to GEN1 at default.

However, the screen tearing issue is still occurring and I've realised that I'll simply need to get a better montior with either a higher refresh rate or with GSYNC.

Thank all of you for your contribution :)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018
That's exactly what I was thinking...

If you download Nvidia Geforce Experience it will make your life 10x easier. Here is a link for that.
That was the first thing I downloaded when I got my GPU haha. Although, even if I set the global VSYNC option to adaptive/fast/on, it still doesn't apply to some games therefore I have the use the in-game option which sucks. Guess I'll have to put up with it until I get a new monitor.
Thank you.

Reactions: acecreator26