[SOLVED] Games crash with Access violation - code c0000005 / INVALID_POINTER_WRITE/READ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
so not the ssd? so I won't get you to check it then.

memory controller on CPU. it could be faulty if it happens on 2 different mb.

I don't know if I would suggest trying a 3rd mb, I would be more likely to get PC looked at by a store and get them to check parts.
Its unlikely cause was/is MB if you had same errors before.

May 2, 2022
so not the ssd? so I won't get you to check it then.

memory controller on CPU. it could be faulty if it happens on 2 different mb.

I don't know if I would suggest trying a 3rd mb, I would be more likely to get PC looked at by a store and get them to check parts.
Its unlikely cause was/is MB if you had same errors before.
Oh yes, I forgot about the SSD, that remained the same and was checked a couple times, it's healthy.

May 2, 2022
so you had same errors on 2 different motherboards?
what parts were on both PC?

i did notice that but clicked Pro anyway as I assumed it might be closest. Strange they only checked 3 of the boards.
it should be fine if MB maker tested ram with it.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450-aorus-pro-summit_181217.pdf?v=8c24d993be844f8948f42c1a6be59f9a

these lists are practically identical.. I am guessing the ram / chipset bit are broadly the same for both Mbs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Probably are. The only differences are likely features, not chipset. Probably supports different CPU.

what make/model ssd? might as well check it to make sure.

Cause is probably something you had in both PC. So ram, CPU, or SSD. I don't think its GPU.

May 2, 2022
Probably are. The only differences are likely features, not chipset. Probably supports different CPU.

what make/model ssd? might as well check it to make sure.

Cause is probably something you had in both PC. So ram, CPU, or SSD. I don't think its GPU.
Samsung Evo 860 500 gb.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
its rare I see a Samsung drive be a problem. But had to check to be sure.

new PSU?

i shrank your initial post as it was too long to scroll through, just put it in a spoiler

so no BSOD, just games crashing.

May 2, 2022
its rare I see a Samsung drive be a problem. But had to check to be sure.

new PSU?

i shrank your initial post as it was too long to scroll through, just put it in a spoiler

so no BSOD, just games crashing.

I had one BSOD I can remember while using these sticks, happened during a Fallout 76 session, I cannot remember the message anymore but the description was something like: Windows tried and failed to compile a report, something or other... something about Windows being unable to do something, Fallout 76 generated an access violation crashdump. Happened too long ago so cannot find that crash in eventviewer.

It's not just BF1 that crashed, Foxhole did also, Fallout 76, Mordhau, even that Chrome tab I mentioned, it wasn't BF1 specific.

I hope having brought RAM down to recommended values solves these issues, also hope that with these tight-ish timings I am not going to lose much performance.
Quite happy with my CPU overclock too, it seems stable, for now, even gives me ideas to try upping the RAM frequency a bit since now CPU has more power perhaps it will actually OC it's IMC better?
I really hope though the 2666mhz setting is where it ends, I have done so much trying to fix these crashes, I am out of ideas as what else to do if I get another Access violation, I avoided having to downclock to the last, but perhaps it's the solution.

May 2, 2022
i see if anyone else has any smart ideas
Well everything worked flawlessly, till now XD. 11 days it worked without a single Access violation, but now BF1 has crashed again, I couldn't recover the .dmp but I am pretty sure it's the ol Access Violation.. Should I try and relax the timings? Maybe 14-14-14-34-48 is too much still?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
it could be the CPU, we running out of parts.
2 motherboards, different PSU

what is stock speed of the Ram? 14 is probably a little fast, Its possible Gigabyte didn't test any ram with CL14 (the website for mb isn't loading for me so I can't tell)

May 2, 2022
it could be the CPU, we running out of parts.
2 motherboards, different PSU

what is stock speed of the Ram? 14 is probably a little fast, Its possible Gigabyte didn't test any ram with CL14 (the website for mb isn't loading for me so I can't tell)
the stock speed is 2400, with 16-16-16-39-55 timings. The crashes have really subsided since the change from 3200 to 2666, so we are on the right path I think.I
I also freed up some SSD, it was in the red, now it's got 110gb free and my paging file for whatever reason reset itself, so I put it back to 24gb, it was like 3gb.
if I Access Violation again, I will 1. do a benchmark w/ my current timings, then go 15-15-15- 34 or pick a similar timing from TryMe! lists that MSi boards have and do another benchmark and compare the performance difference.

Another thing, about 5 days ago just for the sake of it I set my RAM back to 3200 and did a game benchmark.. Almost no difference from 2666, like 0.4 average fps and 3 max fps difference.. So much for getting 3200 RAM thinking it will do my ol r5 1600 any good. Turned off gameboost in BIOS, I noticed with my CPU overclock it spikes to 4ghz sometimes, rarely but it does, which isn't going to be stable, 3.8Ghz is though.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY