[SOLVED] Games crashing because of low pagefile, how does that work?

SkyKnightBiel

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
So, I recently was messing around with pagefile on Windows, and I noticed that my pagefile was excessively high. The recommended was 1911MB but windows set it to 6GB. My rig has 8GB of RAM on it so I didn't think it'd be a problem to set it manually to the recommended amount.
After restarting my PC, I loaded up my games (Watch dogs 2 and Forza Horizon 3) and they started crashing. What was taking my attention was that not only the games were crashing, the programs (Chrome, Discord etc) were also crashing with 1911MB of Pagefile.
So, is there a problem with my memory or is this normal and I had better just stay with the 6GB pagefile that windows sets automatically?

Solution
My PC also has 8 GB of RAM.

Windows recommends 12261 MB but as i have the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" option enabled, the currently allocated memory is 8174 MB.

Your games must be crashing because of less RAM available and not because of less virtual memory.

Better set it to "automatic".

Sagar_20

Distinguished
My PC also has 8 GB of RAM.

Windows recommends 12261 MB but as i have the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" option enabled, the currently allocated memory is 8174 MB.

Your games must be crashing because of less RAM available and not because of less virtual memory.

Better set it to "automatic".

Reactions: SkyKnightBiel
Solution