[SOLVED] Games Crashing On Main Menu

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
i7-7700K OCed to 5 GHz
Stock EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

Hi guys, recently came across a crashing problem...

The problem started with CoD: MW - I was constantly getting these Dev Error 5763s and 6068s while on the main menu. Checking the crash logs, there was a common line in all of them "hrRemovedReason: 887a0006".

I try a different game - RE2 Remake. And then that crashed as well during the loading screen. I get a similar message: "HRESULT=0x887a0006, The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application."

I try Battlefield V - once it gets onto the main menu, it freezes and crashes to desktop without any error messages. Although, the crash dump file is a .mdmp file that I can't open.

I try Metro: Exodus on Epic Games and the instant I skip the introduction cinematic, it crashes. It has a crash dump that is a .dmp file I can't open.

I can't play any of my video games! The only things I can think of that I've done were to:
  • Change the registry (by adding "TdrDelay" and "TdrDdiDelay" to try and address the CoD issue. It didn't work, so I removed these 2 keys).
  • I was getting popups recently from my Windows Action Center, so I installed MalwareByte for a single sweep and immediately uninstalled it (Malware can't crash your video games can they???).
  • Did a clean uninstall/install for GPU driver (445.87)
  • Windows update today (I believe it was 1909?)
I also tried running 3DMark and it seemed to have crashed midway as well. "An error occurred" and I couldn't get a score.

Any tips??? Thanks!

Last edited:

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
make and model of the psu?
what the cpu/gpu temp under load?

PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ
None of the temps seemed out of the ordinary for me.
  • For CoD and BFV, I can't even get the game started properly - so temps are idle temps (GPU ~ 35, CPU ~ 40)
  • RE2 was able to run somehow for a minute before it crashed (GPU ~ 45, CPU ~ 50)
  • Metro, again crashed right after the intro cinematic (GPU ~ 40, CPU ~ 70)
  • I re-installed Witcher 3 out of curiosity, and surprisingly, Witcher 3 ran for a solid 6-7 minutes before crashing (GPU ~ 60, CPU ~ 70)

Last edited:

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
make and model of the psu?
what the cpu/gpu temp under load?

OK, I opened up Event Viewer and the Reliability Monitor and noticed the following errors:

From the Event Viewer:
"Application 'game'.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

From the Reliability Monitor:
Summary - Hardware Error, "LKD_0x142_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Unknown"

halo35boy

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
try undo the oc?

Right, I was just about to post - I saw another post floating around on hitting "Debug Mode" on the Nvidia Control Panel under the "Help" toolbar (apparently that sets the card to stock speeds?). And that actually seems to allow me to play properly. At least for a few minutes longer than before. But apparently, I'd have to always hit "Debug Mode" every time I boot up - I don't want to do that...

I just saw a new GeForce driver (446.14) and installed it. So I turned off the debug mode and that didn't seem to help either (even though I did a clean install with DDU).

Why am I getting this issue now? I've had the card for a little over a year now and this wasn't a problem. I don't want to run my card at stock speeds, and I don't want to have to always check off a setting every time I boot up. I bought it factory OCed for a reason. Is there a way to fix this without reverting it to stock speeds?