RAM: 32GB Teamgroup DDR5 7600mhz (XMP3.0) SK Hynix CL 36 46 46 84
VIDEO CARD: Gigabyte Gaming 24gb OC RTX 4090
MOUSE: Logitech Gaming 300s
KB: Corsair K70 MK.2
MONITOR: 27GL850, AOC G2460PG G-Sync
HDD: Samsung Evo 850 Pro 512GB
HDD: Samsung NVMe M.2 Evo Plus 970 1TB
Power: Silverstone ST1200w Platinum

The new components are the CPU, MB and RAM, everything else is from my previous build

However now, just about every game is crashing after playing for a few minutes.

Using MSI Afterburner's OSD to keeps tabes on CPU/GPU temps while gaming - temps seem ok, CPU is not throttling.

Checking Windows event viewer is of no help - its not showing any errors at the time of crashes.

I am using the XMP3.0 profile for the RAM and have also tried adjusting RAM settings manually to match the XMP profile (this was suggested in a previous post) does not help this time.

Tried a fresh install graphics drivers using DDU has made no difference.

From here I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting, other then a fresh install of Windows?..

Last edited:

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I just finished trying a game with stock RAM speed settings and it didnt't seem to crash. I try a longer session again and see if I get the same result - no crash.

If the XMP profile is the cause, is there something I can do to maske it more stable? i.e A tiny bit more voltage?

Mar 18, 2023
Try dropping the dram frequency a step at a time and test for stability using occt memory or other ram testing programs. My build had problems running the default xmp profile on a 7200 kit, and managed to get it stable at 6600. Hoping a new bios update will improve memory compatibility in the future. These high speed ram are kinda just luck since the quality of the imc on each cpu is different, so even if the manufacturers have tested them, the cpu they used could have a better imc than what yours has.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I'll try that cheers. Could anyone recommend a good site explaining how overclocking works and the relationship the cas timings have with each other. I've never understood RAM overclocking but think it's about time now

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Ok so,

I've been testing and playing for the last week and so far downclocking the RAM from 7600mhz to 7000mhz seems to so far stop the crashes. However I'm not happy I can't get the RAM to run at its advertised OC setting. The RAM in question is an officially supported kit as listed on Gigabyte's website (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-GAMING-X-AX-rev-1x/support#support-memsup) mine is listed 3rd from the top.

I have created a support ticket with Gigabyte and now awaiting for them to report back after they said they'd do some testing to see if they can recreate the issue on their end. Also today I've created a support ticket with TeamGroup as well and awaiting their reply.

In the meantime, I would like to know which part is actually the cause of the issue? The RAM or the mainboard? Or the CPU? As mentioned above the IMC (wherever its actually located, MB, CPU) is responsible for controlling the memory in some way? (I'm not sure how it works).

Lastly I would like to hear of anyone else's experience with this RAM kit and were they were able to get it running full speed ot not.

Mar 18, 2023
Ok so,

I've been testing and playing for the last week and so far downclocking the RAM from 7600mhz to 7000mhz seems to so far stop the crashes. However I'm not happy I can't get the RAM to run at its advertised OC setting. The RAM in question is an officially supported kit as listed on Gigabyte's website (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-GAMING-X-AX-rev-1x/support#support-memsup) mine is listed 3rd from the top.

I have created a support ticket with Gigabyte and now awaiting for them to report back after they said they'd do some testing to see if they can recreate the issue on their end. Also today I've created a support ticket with TeamGroup as well and awaiting their reply.

In the meantime, I would like to know which part is actually the cause of the issue? The RAM or the mainboard? Or the CPU? As mentioned above the IMC (wherever its actually located, MB, CPU) is responsible for controlling the memory in some way? (I'm not sure how it works).

Lastly I would like to hear of anyone else's experience with this RAM kit and were they were able to get it running full speed ot not.

The IMC is on the CPU, so that's the lottery part, one CPU might have a better IMC than another even if they're both the same generation and SKU. Just to take my RAM kit as an example, it's rated at 7200mhz, but I haven't actually gotten it stable at that. After changing motherboards, I was able to get it to load its XMP profile and actually not crash right away testing with OCCT memory, however, it would cause an error after a while on Prime95. The previous board I had would error out within 10 seconds with OCCT. So I think both CPU and motherboard quality matter a lot in terms of RAM overclocking

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
The IMC is on the CPU, so that's the lottery part, one CPU might have a better IMC than another even if they're both the same generation and SKU. Just to take my RAM kit as an example, it's rated at 7200mhz, but I haven't actually gotten it stable at that. After changing motherboards, I was able to get it to load its XMP profile and actually not crash right away testing with OCCT memory, however, it would cause an error after a while on Prime95. The previous board I had would error out within 10 seconds with OCCT. So I think both CPU and motherboard quality matter a lot in terms of RAM overclocking

Understood. I guess what I really would like to know for now is how to adjust the timings on the RAM to see if it helps running the RAM more stable above 7000mhz. If that's even an option. I've been looking at some guides online but its incredibly complicated from what I've seen.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Do vdeo drivers have any effect on the stability of the RAM? Just updated to the very latest nvidia driver again as before I got the new hardware I was getting some graphical artifacts in some games - and now games havent crashed yet. Will do more testing though.

Mar 18, 2023
Yeah, from what I've seen, getting DDR5 to run stable above 7000 requires really high end parts, some luck with hardware lottery, and a lot of time/patience to tweak the BIOS settings. I managed to get my 7200 kit stable using XMP2 on my Asus board, where as XMP1 was unstable, and with my previous 2 boards, 1 wouldn't even boot with XMP, and the other would crash on stress tests 10 seconds in.

Another thing that might be an issue could be temperature on these DDR5 kits causing instability. Mine was running as high as 68C yesterday running Testmem5 and OCCT memory, so I would imagine your higher frequency kits probably would run even higher than that.

May 20, 2023
Same brand mobo/cpu/gpu here as Geoff except I have Gskill 7200. It loads fine at stated xmp. When I try to play MW2 for example crashes every time. Maybe increasing voltage for cpu to handle the higher ram speeds? Can't pinpoint what it is, temperature or any other physical factors, I also suspect that the game software just isn't compatible at those higher speeds.