[SOLVED] Games crashing

Feb 6, 2022
Hello I have this pc, it has a dh67bl motherboard, intel core i7-2600 3.4 ghz processor, msi Radeon r9 390x 8g gpu and 8 gb of ram. I'm having troubles with certain games crashing when I try to play them. Everything else works fine on the computer and I can even play halo infinite without problems 80% of the time-it does crash sometimes as well and I had to remove the texture pack- but certain games, like assassin's creed unity, crash when I try to play them. Is there any reason anyone here can think of from a hardware perspective why that might be? I don't think there's any compatibility issues and halo is a newer game and is more demanding so it seems strange to me that they don't work. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried basic things like uninstalling drivers and reinstalling, resetting cmos and checking my temperatures but haven't had any luck. One thing I should mention is the cpu doesn't seem to run at anything higher than 40 watts or so. I was under the assumption that a i7 processor used closer to 70 idk if that's right or not though.

edit: looking into it more I think 40 watts fine for an i7.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022
The only games I have right now are ac unity, halo infinite multiplayer and the Witcher 3. Halo is the only one that works. assassins creed crashes every time before I can even get into the start menu and the Witcher will start and I can play it a little but it starts getting these black splotches and then eventually crashes. assassins creed every time displays all these white squares on the screen and then crashes before I can get into the main menu.

these artifacts appearing and then crashing would lead me towards a malfunctioning graphics card.
even if certain games may not experience the issue, it still is a common symptom of a dying or just malfunctioning card.

one way of troubleshooting would be to test a different card in the system and see if it continues to happen.
I've tried basic things like uninstalling drivers and reinstalling
another easy troubleshoot is to wipe all driver related data with DDU in Safe Mode and reinstall the latest available driver package from AMD.
not just uninstalling and reinstalling.

Reactions: helper800
that's the developer, but usually you would be linked to their Guru3D page for downloads.
perfectly safe & reliable software they produce.

just don't ever use theirs or anybody's "auto-update" driver software.
drivers should always be downloaded directly from their specific product manufacturers.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
One thing I should mention is the cpu doesn't seem to run at anything higher than 40 watts or so. I was under the assumption that a i7 processor used closer to 70 idk if that's right or not though.

edit: looking into it more I think 40 watts fine for an i7.

i7-2600 has a TDP of 95w. If it never gets over 40w of power consumption its not running at full power. Now black splotches on the screen sounds like you have other issues, but I think you could have a power delivery issue with both pieces of hardware (GPU and CPU).

What power supply are you using and how old is it?

Feb 6, 2022
apevia prestige series atx-pr800W 800W. I'm not sure how old it is. I am running on lower settings which is less heavy on the CPU. Running a couple programs at once the average power went up to fifty and it got to sixty + a few times. Seeing that, I don't think there's anything wrong with the power but I'm not an expert.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
apevia prestige series atx-pr800W 800W. I'm not sure how old it is. I am running on lower settings which is less heavy on the CPU. Running a couple programs at once the average power went up to fifty and it got to sixty + a few times. Seeing that, I don't think there's anything wrong with the power but I'm not an expert.

Ok, not a good PSU but I'm assuming relatively new based on the fact its still currently available. Lower settings are not necessarily less CPU heavy, those tend to deal with graphics. Games take from the CPU what they need. That said if your GPU isn't doing its job your CPU load will be low as its waiting for the GPU.

The artifacting you described could be anything from heat to GPU failure. I believe black splotches are often due to a memory issue. The fact its crashing afterwards is not good. Download MSI afterburner and try to downclock the memory a little first. If that doesn't fix it, downclock the GPU itself.