Question Games disconnect when connected to Ethernet

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
I have recently converted my garage into a room to have as my gaming/ man cave. Doing that meant I needed to run a 30m length of Cat6 ethernet cable to have network access in the room as the Wi-Fi range is not so great. When my PC was inside the house on Wi-Fi I had no issues, received the full 1Gb speed my network has and even now when not playing games I get the full speed and no disconnects.

When I load a game up, Some games disconnect instantly others do not, about 20-25 mins into gaming then it will disconnect with network related issues. So here is the problem:

1. Wi-Fi works fine, no disconnects just reduced speed due to Wi-Fi 6 range.
2. When not gaming, everything works fine on Ethernet (PC receives 890-900Mbps).
3. When gaming I get disconnects.

Network setup:
Router (1Gb Speed) > 30m Cat6 cable (Outdoor rated) > TP-Link 5-port network switch > PC

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 7700x
ASUS ROG B650 Strix WiFi - A
32Gb DDR5
RTX 2080

Troubleshooting steps done:

1. Updated LAN drivers
2. Changed Speed & Duplex from Auto to 1Gb (Did use 2.5Gb)
3. Ran these commands:
netsh int ip reset
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / renew
4. Set DNS Servers to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2
5. Checked Router settings to see if those had been messed up.
6. Done Ping tests, all normal

I just cannot figure out what could be causing the issue, the internet works perfectly fine (via Ethernet) when not gaming just as soon as I load a game it starts to disconnect.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT****: Tried to play some games on Xbox. Network test etc come back with no issues. as soon as I jump into game I get "High Latency" and "Disconnected" symbols. Oh and my ping shoots to 300

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023
I got same problem yesterday. Solution is simple, disable Wi-Fi on your PC. I was trying to play BF5 on EA server and could not go online. First I try to use just Wi-Fi after unplug ethernet cable and it works fine, but wired connection is always better. :cool:

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
I got same problem yesterday. Solution is simple, disable Wi-Fi on your PC. I was trying to play BF5 on EA server and could not go online. First I try to use just Wi-Fi after unplug ethernet cable and it works fine, but wired connection is always better. :cool:
Sorry title was wrong, It disconnects when on Ethernet... Wi-Fi is fine. That being said I have disabled Wi-Fi and it does the same

Dec 26, 2023
Try this. They said that you can use Wi-Fi and ethernet after changing some settings. I hope this will help you.

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
Try this. They said that you can use Wi-Fi and ethernet after changing some settings. I hope this will help you.

Thanks for this,

So I tried it, followed the steps but I don't seem to be able to change Packet Priority & VLAN on Wi-Fi

Dec 26, 2023
You said "Yes" but this still get you disconnected? Try replace ethernet cable, get current windows updates, make sure BIOS on your motherboard is updated too. Look at device manager to see if you have any errors "!"

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
You said "Yes" but this still get you disconnected? Try replace ethernet cable, get current windows updates, make sure BIOS on your motherboard is updated too. Look ad device manager to see if you have any errors "!"
Disconnected Ethernet, Wi-Fi no issues just really slow due to distance from router

Everything is up to date. No errors in Device manager

Dec 26, 2023
You need to wait for some network experts here. What game are you trying to play? Sometimes EA server get me disconnect too and that was their fault.

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
You need to wait for some network experts here. What game are you trying to play? Sometimes EA server get me disconnect too and that was their fault.
Destiny 2, Battlefield 2042, Rocket League

Does the same on xbox as well

I have recently converted my garage into a room to have as my gaming/ man cave. Doing that meant I needed to run a 30m length of Cat6 ethernet cable to have network access in the room as the Wi-Fi range is not so great. When my PC was inside the house on Wi-Fi I had no issues, received the full 1Gb speed my network has and even now when not playing games I get the full speed and no disconnects.

When I load a game up, Some games disconnect instantly others do not, about 20-25 mins into gaming then it will disconnect with network related issues. So here is the problem:

1. Wi-Fi works fine, no disconnects just reduced speed due to Wi-Fi 6 range.
2. When not gaming, everything works fine on Ethernet (PC receives 890-900Mbps).
3. When gaming I get disconnects.

Network setup:
Router (1Gb Speed) > 30m Cat6 cable (Outdoor rated) > TP-Link 5-port network switch > PC

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 7700x
ASUS ROG B650 Strix WiFi - A
32Gb DDR5
RTX 2080

Troubleshooting steps done:

1. Updated LAN drivers
2. Changed Speed & Duplex from Auto to 1Gb (Did use 2.5Gb)
3. Ran these commands:
netsh int ip reset
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / renew
4. Set DNS Servers to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2
5. Checked Router settings to see if those had been messed up.
6. Done Ping tests, all normal

I just cannot figure out what could be causing the issue, the internet works perfectly fine (via Ethernet) when not gaming just as soon as I load a game it starts to disconnect.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT****: Tried to play some games on Xbox. Network test etc come back with no issues. as soon as I jump into game I get "High Latency" and "Disconnected" symbols. Oh and my ping shoots to 300
That is really odd, I also use a very long ethernet cable for the same thing plus it's only cat 5e and not even rated for outdoor use. Has been working fine for almost 15 years.

Have you tried bypassing the switch and plug in directly to the PC? You could also try a different ethernet card, install a PCIe one.
Did you crimp the ends of the cable yourself?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023
"I have recently converted my garage into a room to have as my gaming/ man cave. Doing that meant I needed to run a 30m length of Cat6 ethernet cable to have network access in the room as the Wi-Fi range is not so great. When my PC was inside the house on Wi-Fi I had no issues, received the full 1Gb speed my network has and even now when not playing games I get the full speed and no disconnects."
Everything works before and only change you made is to move to other room. I get that after you moved far from router Wi-Fi get worse. I am not sure what router do you have. I got Asus GT-AX11000 and what I did (I have big house) I get other cheap Asus router Wi-Fi 6 to connect it by mesh and extend range this way. Your internet provider (I have COX) can help you with solution for it.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
did you try to plugin pc directly to router for net and turn off wireless on pc also that switch if you use it to other port does it do the same for game also made sure you have the latest driver for motherboard on net chipset with the os you use .

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
"I have recently converted my garage into a room to have as my gaming/ man cave. Doing that meant I needed to run a 30m length of Cat6 ethernet cable to have network access in the room as the Wi-Fi range is not so great. When my PC was inside the house on Wi-Fi I had no issues, received the full 1Gb speed my network has and even now when not playing games I get the full speed and no disconnects."
Everything works before and only change you made is to move to other room. I get that after you moved far from router Wi-Fi get worse. I am not sure what router do you have. I got Asus GT-AX11000 and what I did (I have big house) I get other cheap Asus router Wi-Fi 6 to connect it by mesh and extend range this way. Your internet provider (I have COX) can help you with solution for it.
My Router is the standard Hub 5 you get with Virgin Media (UK) Wi-Fi 6 rated

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
That is really odd, I also use a very long ethernet cable for the same thing plus it's only cat 5e and not even rated for outdoor use. Has been working fine for almost 15 years.

Have you tried bypassing the switch and plug in directly to the PC? You could also try a different ethernet card, install a PCIe one.
Did you crimp the ends of the cable yourself?
What makes it strange to me is other than when gaming the internet is fine, Quick to load and no real issues. Only when I start playing a game the game then freaks out about network issues.

I did crimp the cables myself, All tested perfectly fine and as I said the internet is fine when not gaming.

I haven't tried bypassing the switch as where it is placed is a little inaccessible for the PC to get to.

iLiamW

Commendable
Jul 24, 2021
So update.

I am unsure what did it but I seemed to have sorted it. could be a number of things:

I reset all network adapters
I re-seated the cable in the router
I went into the switches settings on manually changed the Port settings

Not sure which one done it but now my games do not disconnect... (Fingers crossed)

Oh and I also did a continuous ping to my router and google servers, Nothing showing on those tests

Reactions: Flayed

TRENDING THREADS