[SOLVED] Games dont lag but voice lines are skipped...

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I wasn't sure where to post this, as I have no idea what is the actual culprit of this issue,
Basically when playing games, sometimes voice lines by characters will just be completely skipped, and this is happening in all sorts of games with all sorts of engines, but not all of them, some games will just work fine,
Also the issue will happen randomly... sometimes ill get a few skips in a row, sometimes I can play for hours with no issue.
The thing is, the games are running fine with good temps and FPS and I am no lagging at all, I also made sure to update all my drivers for everything.

Has anyone ever experienced something like that? Any clue to what could be potentially causing this would help.

For the record, I am on Windows 10, using a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650, playing games off an external SSD.

I have already tried using benchmark software for the card and shows its working perfect. Same thing for the SSD.

Thanks!

Solution
why are you using external drives for direct storage?
does this system not allow for placing 2.5" drives behind the motherboard tray?
once the PSU dies it can also damage the other internal components?
Do you know what is the life expectancy on generic prebuilt PSU (it meant for gaming pc btw)?
there's no way to determine exactly. anything directly connected to the PSU is at risk though.
some die within a few moments of being powered on with light loads, some within a year or more with heavy loads.

whether it would be a cause for RAM malfunctioning or dying is also difficult to determine.
possible there is abnormal current being supplied to the DIMM slot(s), but also difficult to determine if this would be the motherboard or...

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
what the motherboard? ram? psu?
what games? from where did you get them?

I am using:
-Intel Core i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Cores (I forgot to mention but I also used software to check if anything wrong with it, and its running optimal)
-16GB of Ram
-For PSU, not sure how to check that, but I must mention my PC is prebuilt from Acer, so it should have sufficient PSU.
-All games are legally purchased and played off Steam, updated to latest version.

playing games off an external SSD.
via what interface?
it's possible your dock/enclosure/etc is not capable of providing all data at a sufficient rate.

what benchmark have you run and what are it's results vs the actual drive's manufacturer specs?
and was the test run while the drive was connected via SATA III, USB, or some other connection?
I must mention my PC is prebuilt from Acer, so it should have sufficient PSU.
this is not necessarily true.
many pre-built systems include the lowest possible power supply variant and they can often lead to issues with stability.

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
via what interface?
it's possible your dock/enclosure/etc is not capable of providing all data at a sufficient rate.

what benchmark have you run and what are it's results vs the actual drive's manufacturer specs?

this is not necessarily true.
many pre-built systems include the lowest possible power supply variant and they can often lead to issues with stability.

The external SSD uses USB to SATA, and I have wondered if it could potentially be the SSD bottlenecking or something, but then why do some games work completely fine while other games give issues, would the issue not be consistent? The software I used to check is the Deflagger one that comes with Windows 10, and also another one called CrystalDiskInfo.

I checked specs for the prebuilt I got (Acer Nitro 50) and all of those prebuilts in that "family" or w/e word it is, use 500 W PSU

why do some games work completely fine while other games give issues, would the issue not be consistent?
would depend on the exact data being loaded/read.
engines perform differently and some games aren't coded as well.
The external SSD uses USB to SATA
how exactly?
USB to eSATA adapter/converter
or you have a USB to SATA III adapter/converter cable running from the outside to a motherboard's dedicated SATA III port?

and what type of USB connection does the external device provide by itself;
USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.2, Type-C, etc?

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Just saw this old thread that basically lists my problem:

It makes alot of sense that games are stuttering cause its trying to acess both my main HD and my external SSD at same time, their solution was to make their SSD their game storage... the problem is that my SSD is external :( anyone got any ideas on other ways to resolve this?

So your theory is that I just need to get a new PSU? Why is it specifically that audio is affected?
no, just another very possible problem with this system that will very likely lead to even worse issue(s) in the future.

make sure you keep up-to-date backups of all personal files because it's likely this system will not last with some generic 500w power supply and can very possibly take your other connected devices out with it.
anyone got any ideas on other ways to resolve this?
use a more adequate form of storage for your games.

if this system doesn't offer the necessary connections for a proper internal games drive, return it and get something worth using.

GM-Otomon

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
no, just another very possible problem with this system that will very likely lead to even worse issue(s) in the future.

make sure you keep up-to-date backups of all personal files because it's likely this system will not last with some generic 500w power supply and can very possibly take your other connected devices out with it.

So once the PSU dies it can also damage the other internal components? Do you know what is the life expectancy on generic prebuilt PSU (it meant for gaming pc btw)? Also... I had a Ram stick die a few days after making this post, can that be related to PSU diying also? Taking out the "bad ram" has stabilized my pc (kept getting random freezes) but idk if it was the bad PSU your talking about that could had killed it, the PC is almost 2 years old, but I did use it alot during the whole World Panic situation.

use a more adequate form of storage for your games.

if this system doesn't offer the necessary connections for a proper internal games drive, return it and get something worth using.

Well I switched to another external SSD and games no longer had stutter... so yeah maybe it was the SSD itself, but too late to return it. The only difference is that the new external SSD shows regular temps (30-40 C) while the once causing stutters shows 80-90C temps, I was told by everyone that would be impossible temps for SSD, but the enclosure did feel very hot.

why are you using external drives for direct storage?
does this system not allow for placing 2.5" drives behind the motherboard tray?
once the PSU dies it can also damage the other internal components?
Do you know what is the life expectancy on generic prebuilt PSU (it meant for gaming pc btw)?
there's no way to determine exactly. anything directly connected to the PSU is at risk though.
some die within a few moments of being powered on with light loads, some within a year or more with heavy loads.

whether it would be a cause for RAM malfunctioning or dying is also difficult to determine.
possible there is abnormal current being supplied to the DIMM slot(s), but also difficult to determine if this would be the motherboard or something else causing it or just bad RAM.
a lot of pre-built systems also use lower quality RAM modules so that could also be a factor.

Solution