[SOLVED] Games dropping to 0% GPU Usage.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
Mostly all the games I play, there are sudden moments where my GPU and sometimes the CPU usage drops to 0% which causes my game to freeze/stutter for like 30 seconds. I've done a lot of researching and people claim it's the ram. I run Memory Diagnostics and it said nothing was wrong with it, so I don't really know what's going on.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G with Stock Wraith Cooler
GPU: GTX 1650 Super
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2933 CL 16
HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM
SSD: 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU630 2.5" SSD - 520MB/s Read / 450MB/s Write
PSU: InWin A45 450W
MOBO: MSI A320M-A PRO

Last edited:
Solution
I'll try your suggestion, but won't it just lower the performance of my GPU?
and if it proves effective in allowing the system to run without freezing then you know that the power supply is the problem and needs to be upgraded.
I mean I've had this PC for over a year now and it's only just started doing this now.
if it does prove to be the power supply that's the culprit;
all that would mean is that the lower quality power supply is finally succumbing to it's lower quality manufacturing.

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
while offering the 450 required watts to support the GTX 1650 S,
this a very low tier power supply that is not very reliable.

you could try lowering the GPU Power Limit to 50% and drop Core & Memory clocks to minimum and see if this stops the freezing in games.

Really? I mean I've had this PC for over a year now and it's only just started doing this now. I'll try your suggestion, but won't it just lower the performance of my GPU?

I'll try your suggestion, but won't it just lower the performance of my GPU?
and if it proves effective in allowing the system to run without freezing then you know that the power supply is the problem and needs to be upgraded.
I mean I've had this PC for over a year now and it's only just started doing this now.
if it does prove to be the power supply that's the culprit;
all that would mean is that the lower quality power supply is finally succumbing to it's lower quality manufacturing.

Solution

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
hey man, i've been experiencing more or less the exact same thing with GOTG.
On other games like CP 2077 and AC Origins its only a little dip in GPU usage and not noticeable, but with GOTG its a full on drop from 98% down to 2% and then back up again. Game stutters like crazy and is basically unplayable.
The fix i found was to simply restart the machine. Everything ran smoothly after that - until the next time i booted up the machine and then needed to restart again of course.
None of my temps ever get nasty and i dont have any other issues that would indicate bad RAM.

What driver are you using? All the drivers since 496.13 seem to have this problem, the recent Nvidia forums are awash in tales of people with the same issue

i9 9900k
1080Ti
850W PSU

SolonQ

Commendable
Dec 16, 2021
hey man, i've been experiencing more or less the exact same thing with GOTG.
On other games like CP 2077 and AC Origins its only a little dip in GPU usage and not noticeable, but with GOTG its a full on drop from 98% down to 2% and then back up again. Game stutters like crazy and is basically unplayable.
The fix i found was to simply restart the machine. Everything ran smoothly after that - until the next time i booted up the machine and then needed to restart again of course.
None of my temps ever get nasty and i dont have any other issues that would indicate bad RAM.

What driver are you using? All the drivers since 496.13 seem to have this problem, the recent Nvidia forums are awash in tales of people with the same issue

i9 9900k
1080Ti
850W PSU

what did it for me was using DDU to uninstall the current drivers I had and used the latest one from Nvidia website, made sure to do a clean install as well. After that, everything was fine

my driver version right now is 497.29

Reactions: atticus_maytrap

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
what did it for me was using DDU to uninstall the current drivers I had and used the latest one from Nvidia website, made sure to do a clean install as well. After that, everything was fine

my driver version right now is 497.29
yeh that worked for me also, but of course it created another problem where im now seeing excessive GPU clock + usage for normal desktop programs that dont need the juice
it's always something.......