Question Games either crash or black screen with mouse cursor on launch?

Mar 20, 2023
Hi everyone,

I built a PC for the first time this year, but have noticed that I've had a lot of trouble with getting many different games to run, and I'm not sure why.

Quite a lot of games will either launch and then immediately freeze, crashing if I click the mouse (such as Total War: Warhammer III, Colony Survival and Monument Valley II) , or, in the case of Overwatch 2 and Elden Ring, give me a black screen which sometimes has the cursor visible. In all of these cases, the game proves difficult to close, as even if I do successfully close the app, Steam/Battle.net thinks it's still open, and if I try to use Task Manager to shut them down I find that that freezes immediately as well. It's particularly odd, as Monument Valley works just fine, but Monument Valley II, with identical hardware requirements listed on Steam, freezes on startup without fail. Similarly, I can run Horizon Zero Dawn on maximum graphics completely fine, but games with much lower system requirements don't work.

I've tried a variety of things to try to fix this, though I won't preclude that I have missed something obvious. So far, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, updating drivers on the SSD and graphics card, updating Windows, overclocking both CPU and GPU in case it was a hardware issue (though it shouldn't be), checking cable connections, updating the BIOS, checking the antivirus to make sure it isn't blocking anything, booting the PC with all startup applications disabled and running the program as administrator. DirectX seems to be up to date, and I've verified the integrity of game files and the files in my whole computer. Nothing has made any difference at all, and I can't figure out what to try next, as my Google searches haven't turned up anything else that seems sensible to try. I also doubt it's a temperature issue, as my temperatures have rarely exceeded 50°C even under the highest load I've put this PC under.

Finally, here are the specs that I'm running:
Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
MB: Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X AX
CPU: Intel i5-13600k
GPU: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 AMD Radeon 6800
PSU: NZXT C850 Gold
SSD: Samsung SSD 980
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 16GB 5200MHz x2

Everything was bought new, so should have only been used for a couple of months.

Please let me know if you need any more information, and I'll do what I can to provide it.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully this is a simple task to troubleshoot for someone with much more PC experience than me.

Mar 20, 2023
I'm not quite sure, but could it be possible that Windows 11 OS might be the culprit here ? After all Windows 11 has been causing issues lately, and also since the OS was launched.

Have you also tried running games in "Compatibility Mode" as well ?
Thanks for the response! The idea that it might be an OS issue has crossed my mind, though I'm not sure what I could do about that if it is the problem. As for compatibility mode, I have tried it a couple of times with different games, but no luck there so far either.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Mar 20, 2023
Thanks for the response! However, I have the PCIe 3.0 version, which is the non-pro version of the SSD and which doesn't seem to have the problem mentioned in that article as far as I can tell. I've also done a full diagnostic scan of the SSD which found no issues (all blue) and made sure to update the firmware to the most recent version, so while the issue may still be to do with the memory, I don't think it's the problem that you have suggested here. I'm using the 3B4QFXO7 version of the firmware, which is the latest one for this device according to Samsung Magician and the Samsung website.