Question Games getting stutters/microstutters (after overclocking?)

May 21, 2019
Hello!

This may be unrelated to overclocking, the only other thing I can think of that could cause this is my power supply.

I have a decent knowledge of computers
. Around 2 weeks ago I decided to overclock my MSI ARMOR 1070, I decided to revert the overclock as I wasn't comfortable with overclocking (It wasn't a heavy overclock by any means). A few days after doing this however, I have noticed small stutters in games. It happens for about a frame or two, the amount of stutters in games varies. In Rainbow Six Siege the game stutters every few minutes for around the first 15 - 20 minutes of playing then from what I can tell, the stutters go away. When I noticed this I tried some of my other games and the stutters also vary. In Fortnite, the stutters happen for the first around 10 - 15 minutes then go away for the most part. In Ghost Recon Wildlands there are no stutters from what I can see. In GTA V there are also no stutters.

When I first overclocked I increased the core clock by around 90 in MSI Afterburner and I forgot the memory because I deleted the profile because when I tried to open my games they wouldn't open . I found this strange as MSI Kombustor wouldn't crash and I wouldn't see any artifacts.

(Sidenote: I built this PC last December and has been performing fine until around a week ago or since I tried overclocking about 2 weeks ago.)

My Specifications
MSI Tomahawk B450
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI ARMOR 1070
Corsair MP300 M.2 Drive
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000mhz
CX450 PSU

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Make sure that any overclocking applications in Windows aren't open in the background. If you used a program to overclock that opens automatically on boot it could be applying an overclocked profile that you are unaware of.