[SOLVED] Games/PC crashing when running on DirectX 10 or later version

Apr 7, 2022
Hey.

The issue i have is, that every game that i play that runs on DirectX 10 or higher crashes seconds into the game loading in. The game does not crash in lobbys or in the settings menu, only when i try loading in. Games that have crashed are, PUBG, Fortnite, Lost Ark and just every game that does not run on DirectX 9. The game will either just hard crash or the screen goes black for a few seconds and freezes.
I can play CSGO perfectly fine with no issues since it is running on DirectX 9. When i realized the issue was DirectX i tried running Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice with Vulkan using DXVK and it would also work perfectly. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I find it very weird that it can run games using Vulkan but just crashes within seconds using directx. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What i have tried:
Using DDU to uninstall gpu driver and reinstall a newer driver and an older driver.
Flashed gpu bios
Underclocking core clock and memory clock using Msiafterburner
Update Windows
Update directx
Update microsoft visual c++
Gpumemtest (no errors)
Uninstall and reinstall windows.

PC specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i5 4590
8 GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia Gtx1650
Motherboard Hewllett-Packard 18E7

Solution
I would suggest checking through Event Viewer to see if you have any errors regarding 'unable to initialize Direct 3D'. While you are in there you can check for other items in Critical/Error/Warning and to a lesser degree the Information and Audit sections. It is often best to have EV open alongside another web enabled device such that you can find out what each of them mean.

This could be an issue with your particular version of DX, could be (as pointed out above) a PSU problem, might be a driver issue, or other.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Now that leads me to think that you're on an H{ prebuilt, leading me to think that you don't have an aftermarket PSU in the build, correct? If you're not in a prebuilt, please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Might it be possible to state what version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest checking through Event Viewer to see if you have any errors regarding 'unable to initialize Direct 3D'. While you are in there you can check for other items in Critical/Error/Warning and to a lesser degree the Information and Audit sections. It is often best to have EV open alongside another web enabled device such that you can find out what each of them mean.

This could be an issue with your particular version of DX, could be (as pointed out above) a PSU problem, might be a driver issue, or other.

Solution
Apr 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Now that leads me to think that you're on an H{ prebuilt, leading me to think that you don't have an aftermarket PSU in the build, correct? If you're not in a prebuilt, please mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Might it be possible to state what version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on?
Correct it is a prebuilt and it is approximately 3-4 years old, so no aftermarket PSU

My Windows version is Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Thanks for the welcome and reply!

Apr 7, 2022

Thanks for the suggestion.

I opened up a game and found three that could be relevant. Under system labeled as a warning I got this:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered and
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Under application this appears twice at the time the game crashed:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
I dont really understand the last two but the first suggests that it might be the gpu, right?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My suggestion based upon your comments in post #4 would be that the PSU in this prebuilt may not be up to the task of supplying quite enough power to the GPU which instead of causing a whole system crash and restart, is just crashing the GPU driver for that moment the game is attempting to start load.

Typically, a full system crash with shutdown will show as an Event ID 41, which you don't mention. Did this system come with the GPU listed, or did you add it? Did the PSU have the appropriate cabling (if there is need of one) for power to the GPU or did you have to use some manner of adapter off another connector?
Apologies, in that I am not familiar enough with a 1650 and various models to know if it takes supplemental power. The PCI slot provides 75W to the card and any other draw would be a PCI connector direct from the PSU. Even at that, if the system was already fairly near the output spec'ed specific to the prebuilt it could lead to this.

Apr 7, 2022
My suggestion based upon your comments in post #4 would be that the PSU in this prebuilt may not be up to the task of supplying quite enough power to the GPU which instead of causing a whole system crash and restart, is just crashing the GPU driver for that moment the game is attempting to start load.

Typically, a full system crash with shutdown will show as an Event ID 41, which you don't mention. Did this system come with the GPU listed, or did you add it? Did the PSU have the appropriate cabling (if there is need of one) for power to the GPU or did you have to use some manner of adapter off another connector?
Apologies, in that I am not familiar enough with a 1650 and various models to know if it takes supplemental power. The PCI slot provides 75W to the card and any other draw would be a PCI connector direct from the PSU. Even at that, if the system was already fairly near the output spec'ed specific to the prebuilt it could lead to this.
The system came with the listed GPU and as far as the cabling i do not see an adapter. I am not that tech savvy but i think you may be right since the PSU only can supply the system with 240 W and after some researching is too low to power my system. The problem is that the PSU is made specific for this SFF pc so replacing it might be a hassle since the aftermarket PSU's are too big.

Thank you very much for your help, i was really getting frustrated trying to find the problem and you helped me alot!