[SOLVED] Games run extremely slowly on Windows 10 PC

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
(Note: I have another thread going for a different PC. This question is not related to any other thread I have posted on.)

I have a Dell Windows 10 PC (bought a year+ ago from Best Buy), it is not a speed monster by any stretch of the imagination by it runs everything basically okay.

A few months ago, something strange happened. I was playing Genshin Impact (Windows version) on my PC, but one day it suddenly became so slow as to be completely unplayable. Even just navigating the menus was undoable. Prior to this, I could play the game with low FPS in normal resolution settings, and it run fast when using low graphics. But now, it is completely unplayable to the extent it would take minutes to move from one place to another nearby place. I tried several methods to fix this including reinstallation and updating everything, but I could not find a solution and so stopped playing on the PC.

At this point, everything else seemed to be working just fine.

Then two days ago, the exact same thing happened to another game I play, Final Fantasy XIV. Same super slow load/render speeds, I mean it was so slow I couldn't even get past the loading screen. If I clicked on Configuration to check the settings, it would take several minutes just to load - this is before I even log in to the game itself. It was working fine 2 days ago. I run FFXIV on low graphics settings too, to avoid low FPS, but it used to run okay (if a bit slow) even at normal graphics settings. Now it is completely unplayable.

I have tried everything, updating drivers, reinstalling the games, checking for malware, even completely reinstalling Windows from a reset (using the wiping all data option). Nothing seems to work.

Other than the two games, other stuff seems to be working fine (I only use this PC for those two games, BlueStacks 5 games, web browser, and Netflix).

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Solution
Actually, I am thinking about it. The PC only cost like $500 so a GPU shouldn't cost too much otherwise it makes no sense to upgrade vs just get a new one. Also, can we be sure it will fix the problem? Is there a cheap GPU that is available now that can do the job that you recommend? I wouldn't mind doing it if its within reasonable price, actually available, and can solve the problem, but I am afraid of what happens if it doesn't actually fix it.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a decent cheap GPU right now because of supply shortages. The same GPUs that were going for $130 new in 2019 are going for $300-$400 used right now, even with another generation of higher quality GPUs released.

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
Please list your full PC specs (including PSU).

Please run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results.
Also run your drive mfg. tools to check the health of all your drives.

Here are my UserBenchMark results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46520503

UserBenchmarks: Game 9%, Desk 72%, Work 9%
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 - 84.6%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop Coffee Lake i5 i7) - 4.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 75%
RAM: Unknown HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK 80AD000080AD HMA851U6CJR6N-VK 12GB - 79.9%
MBD: Dell Inspiron 3670

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
and this dell spec?
check sdd free spacE?
cpu temp?
I got my specs off the System Info page:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 3670
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0868
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.18.0, 6/17/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0H4VK7
BaseBoard Version A01
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory 14.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.7 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
New gpu, best solution.
Actually, I am thinking about it. The PC only cost like $500 so a GPU shouldn't cost too much otherwise it makes no sense to upgrade vs just get a new one. Also, can we be sure it will fix the problem? Is there a cheap GPU that is available now that can do the job that you recommend? I wouldn't mind doing it if its within reasonable price, actually available, and can solve the problem, but I am afraid of what happens if it doesn't actually fix it.

DSzymborski

Titan

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a decent cheap GPU right now because of supply shortages. The same GPUs that were going for $130 new in 2019 are going for $300-$400 used right now, even with another generation of higher quality GPUs released.

Solution

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
Oh wow that is totally crazy. Is this going to be a permanent thing, or do you think prices will go back down to what they were before eventually (a long time from now?) I mean I can wait a bit if things will eventually go back to normal I suppose.

MMorris666

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
also there is talk of prices going up from next gen, the tiers will also be higher though. so this gen 3070 is equal to 2080ti. next gen 4070 will be equal to 3090. these are just rumours though.

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
I am reporting back to say that your solution worked, and it did the trick! Thank you so much. You are a computer genius! This mystery had plagued us for months and the computer was a glorified paperweight, and now my kids are so happy to being able to use it again.
For the others who might be in the same situation: I bought an OEM GT 1030 graphics card from Best Buy and installed it, it wasn't too difficult actually.

I am reporting back to say that your solution worked, and it did the trick! Thank you so much. You are a computer genius! This mystery had plagued us for months and the computer was a glorified paperweight, and now my kids are so happy to being able to use it again.
For the others who might be in the same situation: I bought an OEM GT 1030 graphics card from Best Buy and installed it, it wasn't too difficult actually.
definitely it's a basic problem when it comes to new pc user, anyways happy to hear it worked :D