Question Games with high FPS count but laggy performance

Shadow_has_Risen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2015
Hi,

I've been encountering numerous performance issues with gaming on my PC which I believe has reasonable specs for 1080p gaming at least. I have a GTX 1650 OC GPU, i3-10105f CPU, 32GB Ram, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, and 2TB HDD.

An example of the issue I'm facing is playing 'Crab Game' and get laggy performance when the in-game FPS counter says I'm getting 500 FPS. I've tried turning down all the settings to the lowest possible and it becomes smooth but still often stuttering (unless if I play in 720p) and turning up all of the settings to max becomes very sluggish and visibly low FPS (even when the FPS counter still shows it's 300+ fps.). I have even tried turning down all of the settings in NVIDIA Control Panel and switching the Physx to be my graphics card but still having the same issue.

I have a 75 Hz monitor, could this be to blame? Is it limiting my in-game FPS even though it shows I'm getting 300-500 FPS on the counter?

Thankyou.

Is 'Crab Game' the ONLY PC title getting a laggy performance on your system, or even other PC games ? If other PC games also exhibit this behavior, then most likely it's an issue with your system.

'Crab Game' is not at all demanding on the hardware, so your PC is more than capable of running this MP game even on 1080p. You mean to say the game shows 500 FPS, but it does not actually feel like it's delivering that much frame rate, and you feel the game is still lagging, and having poor and sluggish performance ?

Which tool are you using to monitor the FPS counter ? MSI Afterburner, Fraps or some other app (or the game's in-built counter)? Have you tried re-installing this game on your system ? Are you running Windows 10 or 11 OS ?

Try reinstalling the game if possible. Also, on a side note, try doing a CLEAN re-install/update of the Nvidia GPU drivers. You can use this
DDU tool if you wish, using the Window's safe mode option but this is not a compulsion, just a recommendation for a clean re-install and reset of factory settings.

What other PC games lag after few minutes of gameplay ? List the exact brand and model number of your current power supply unit/PSU as well.

Shadow_has_Risen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried reinstalling the game multiple times as well as done a clean reinstall of NVidia drivers and tried with multiple graphics cards which heed the same performance in not only Crab Game but other games too such as Dying Light 1.

The FPS counter I have used is Steam's inbuilt FPS counter for games as well as Fraps before too, and yes, the FPS counter shows high FPS but sluggish performance that doesn't feel the same as the FPS count. I have also tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, I'm currently using Windows 11.

As a side note, when trying to do screen recordings in games the output video is very laggy too. Trying to get to the root cause of this constant issue I've been having regardless of whatever component I put in my computer, I've swapped out numerous components in the past such as using graphics cards like GTX 960, 760...Using dual channel ram instead of single channel ram but still encountering a sluggish performance in games. I've also installed some games on the SSD instead of the HDD but haven't noticed an improvement either.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

What is the exact brand and model number of your current power supply unit/PSU ? What is the CPU and GPU temp value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ?

Just those 2 games are lagging, or your entire game library, and including even graphic demanding titles ?

Last edited:
My PSU is the S12G 550W Seasonic.

And this happens to my entire game library, not just the two games.

Could my 75Hz monitor be limiting frame rate in games?
You could be seeing lots of screen tearing due to such a low refresh rate monitor.

Let's see how your PC is performing. Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Link the results from UB here after.

Reactions: Shadow_has_Risen

Shadow_has_Risen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2015
You could be seeing lots of screen tearing due to such a low refresh rate monitor.

Let's see how your PC is performing. Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Link the results from UB here after.

Here are the benchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 45%, Desk 91%, Work 39%
CPU: Intel Core i3-10105F - 86.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 - 44.2%
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB - 110.3%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 89.5%
RAM: Crucial CT16G4DFRA266.C8FE 2x16GB - 83.3%
MBD: MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI (MS-7D17)