GameStop: Xbox 720's Ban of Used Games Will 'Significantly Diminish' Demand

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Microsoft and Sony don't like people like me...I buy the system, they take a loss...Then... I buy used games from people on craigslist for next to nothing.They lose money on the sale of the console and make no money from me buying the game from some one else that's done playing it. People like me are lose/lose for them. But games cost too much.I DO think microsoft is making a big mistake though. If they must force thier greed then perhaps they would be better off creating a hybrid of the way it is now with making profit for them and allowing people to buy and sell used games.This is how they could set it up that would be less likely to completely piss people off. You can buy a used game but then when you go to play that game you are changed a 1 time used game license fee. $5 per game would keep people from getting too pissed about the idea (although they still won't like it). M$ can take a couple and the developer can take a few and the players can still save money by buying used games. Forcing everyone to pay full price for a game... well, lets just say I haven't payed full price for a console game in... ummm... probably about a year or more... and it was a hit game so it was being sold at a lower price like $20 or something. Paying a release day price for a console game? I really can't remember the last time I did that. I don't have the time or money for it.[/citation]

If you play xbox live, then they are still making money off you. They've taken probably about $250 from me over the years just from xbox live.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kawin[/nom]Of course GameStop is worried, it's gonna put them out of business.[/citation]
Don't know about putting them out of business, but they will definately have to change their model.

[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Don't know about putting them out of business, but they will definately have to change their model.[/citation]

It would be a huge hit to their revenue, they will literally lose many stores. And for some stupid reason my mall has 2 of them in 1 mall. They bought out the other game store and kept both. Go figure.

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]gamestop rips off and gouges used games anyways. Why buy used when new is only $5 more?[/citation]
Is it truly only $5 more? A bit hard to believe mate.

[citation][nom]ozvip3r[/nom]Is it truly only $5 more? A bit hard to believe mate.[/citation]

yes, it is only $5 more. Any new release that just came out and usually for at least a few months after release will sell used for $54.99 at gamestop. A brand new game costs $59.99. So you play the game for a week, beat it, and sell it back to them, they'll usually give you $20-$30. Then they turn around and sell it for $5 less than a brand new one.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Contant internet connection and there is also a story of a Connect camera that comes with it too that must be used. (All your privacy belong to US) I keep saying that MS is in bed with the FEDS and get thumbed down for it.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
And if I owned one which I will never buy one I couldn't even give a game to my family member after I finished it. MS Spybox 720 = Fail.

demize

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I wouldnt mind such a ban on used games if the price of new games lowers to $40. Wishfull thinking. They will probably raise the price.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
They could put a bunch of dog turds in a box with a label and a fan-boy would buy it because of the label. It really doesn't matter what they do with the next gen, the same fan-boys will buy it. Just like the PS3 fan-boys, apple fan-boys, android fan-boys, etc.

That should get me a good fair amount thumbs down from fan-boys now shouldn't it. ;)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
What about services like Gamefly?
I don't know about the rest of you, but I buy new, but only after I've rented the game to make sure I liked it.
I HATE Gamestop. I've bought a total of 10 used games from them and had to return 8 of those because they didn't work, and one of those 8 the disk was busted into 2 pieces!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]demize[/nom]I wouldnt mind such a ban on used games if the price of new games lowers to $40. Wishfull thinking. They will probably raise the price.[/citation]

40 nope , for them to go no used , they'd ahve to make prcie 25 to 30 , 40 bucks is too dman much for most folks on games they can't return. i buy tons of games off steam but never at any price over 30

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]What about services like Gamefly?I don't know about the rest of you, but I buy new, but only after I've rented the game to make sure I liked it.I HATE Gamestop. I've bought a total of 10 used games from them and had to return 8 of those because they didn't work, and one of those 8 the disk was busted into 2 pieces![/citation]

man i knew years ago don't buy used games at game stop , use amazon , or mom and pop used shops. (amazon used games usually sold by mom and pop shops). They tend to check their merchandise better than game stop.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
on the one hand i dislike not being able to in theory loan games out if this is the case but as i HATE gamestop so it makes me happy to think the company might go under or be hurt by this

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Eliminating used can work, but:

- Steam-like discounts need to fill the void left by the lack of cheap games.
- Activation only, no constant connection. Even in 2013, there are places that dont have an always-on broadband connection.

Regardless, I think i'll be spending $500 on a GTX 680 this fall, not a game console.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]MauveCloud[/nom]I hadn't heard about this used game ban before, but if this is true, they just threw a big advantage of consoles over PC out the window - if I can't rent games to try them out, or sell them to GameStop if I discover something later in the game that makes me want to stop playing, I'm not buying the system.[/citation]
Good , whos getting wealthy off gamestop? not the employees so they should go bankrupt

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
IF it is legit that you won't be able to play used games on the Xbox, this will be just one more Xbox console that I wouldn't consider. Xbox has been tempting in the past (Forza series), but the limitations that Microsoft leave the Xbox consoles with is unreal (Prime example being many wheels/pedals/shifters [Microsoft doesn't support many others due to others having relations with Sony])

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jigawatt[/nom]IF it is legit that you won't be able to play used games on the Xbox, this will be just one more Xbox console that I wouldn't consider. Xbox has been tempting in the past (Forza series), but the limitations that Microsoft leave the Xbox consoles with is unreal (Prime example being many wheels/pedals/shifters [Microsoft doesn't support many others due to others having relations with Sony])[/citation]

i thought it was microsoft requires you to be wireless with everything.
that said, from my understanding the best wheels and stuff are supported, my not be wallet friendly but they are better than lesser versions.

I have heard the same thing about the PS4 not allowing used games so I guess we will have to wait and see. The only thing I really find useful on my console anyway is the Media server so I could really care less if Microsoft and Sony ban used games. It may just push devs back to the PC in which case can only be a good thing.

hannibal

Distinguished

If only one of these big names goes for banning used games, the other will gain huge advantage! Most proparly both or neither companies goes to this direction. If one of them is not going to do it, the other has to allso give up the idea. If not in release, then later with "upgrade"...

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
What really bugs me is when console gamers support this and say that if you're against pirating then you should be against selling used games as well.
That really irks me because when you pay full price for a physical disc it's yours, or even if it's wound up in the bargain bin, it's yours. It isn't the property of the gaming company when you've paid what they're asking, so what right do they have to say that when you're through with the product that you purchased you have no right to sell it? The whole point of purchasing it is to make it your property.
It bother me even more when gamers support that and argue it's the same as pirating. Really? You mean to tell me that a person selling a single physical copy of a game they actually paid for is the same as a person making and selling multiple used copies illegally? Pirating of course is much more rampant on PC's. Pirating is many times more damaging than the used games market which is completely fair, and if anything cracking down on used games will only make pirating worse. If used games are banned then full price should be reduced back to $50, but of course that'll never happen.

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Oops, when I mentioned pirating again the first sentence was cut off in the comment box so I forgot I did already. Tom's won't let me show more comments to edit that out and I had that comment broken into two paragraphs, kinda frustrating lol.

Wow, I apologize for all that unintentional spam. I just figured out how to get to the thread from the article, but I kept refreshing to see if I could show more comments.

There was 5 or so accidental posts but it allowed me to delete them one by one.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Those that the Xbox 360 support are of low quality. The only remotely "decent" one that is supported is the Fanatec CSR wheel. The lackluster technical support and not-so-great quality control does not merit the high price for just a wheel (and note that pedals and shifter is sold separately).

Status
Not open for further replies.