Mar 27, 2020
Hi,

I want to ask for your advice. I bought a new monitor (Asus Rog PG27UQ, 4k 144hz) and I wanna play 4k @144hz (or at least @120hz). Currently I have 1 GPU Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB, my question is, what do I need to do?

Do I buy another 1080Ti for SLI configuration, if yes does it have to be the exact same card? I cannot find it on the market/or the price is illogical, like can I buy another 1080Ti with different GB?

Or do I sell this card and get something else for SLI configuration (one of the RTXs)?

I really appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

Solution
Sli & crossfire support in games has been in decline for years, it’s at the point now where most people recommend avoiding multi gpu setups. Even the games that support Sli show poor performance increases, I saw a review about a year back and the games they covered that did support sli only averaged a 30% increase in FPS. Sli also has other downsides as it can suffer micro stuttering.

I’d suggest 1 single stronger card than 2 cards. You really want a 2080Ti and nothing less and even then some games it’s going to take sacrificing settings to achieve 100+ FPS. Really current gpu’s are not really strong enough for 4K 144fps in AAA titles. The next gen gpu’s sound promising but given the delays caused by Covid-19 I’m not confident we will...

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Apparently sli and crossfire aren't really used for games much. Your best bet would be to get a new higher end single card to replace your old 1080 with. You're asking a fair bit for even a modern card, so expect the price tag to match.

Reactions: LordYuz
Sli & crossfire support in games has been in decline for years, it’s at the point now where most people recommend avoiding multi gpu setups. Even the games that support Sli show poor performance increases, I saw a review about a year back and the games they covered that did support sli only averaged a 30% increase in FPS. Sli also has other downsides as it can suffer micro stuttering.

I’d suggest 1 single stronger card than 2 cards. You really want a 2080Ti and nothing less and even then some games it’s going to take sacrificing settings to achieve 100+ FPS. Really current gpu’s are not really strong enough for 4K 144fps in AAA titles. The next gen gpu’s sound promising but given the delays caused by Covid-19 I’m not confident we will see them in 2020.

Solution
Mar 27, 2020

I’d suggest 1 single stronger card than 2 cards. You really want a 2080Ti and nothing less and even then some games it’s going to take sacrificing settings to achieve 100+ FPS. Really current gpu’s are not really strong enough for 4K 144fps in AAA titles. The next gen gpu’s sound promising but given the delays caused by Covid-19 I’m not confident we will see them in 2020.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

How about NVlink, is it any better?