Question Gaming ANC headset suggestions?

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
Hey

Long story short i have a pc with an very loud cpu in it and i've been looking into a good headset (preferably wireless) that has ANC but i keep seeing issues like static noise or the sound lagging behind the actual video and i have become very unsure of what i should get. I was looking at the Sony WH-1000XM4 at first but even the support desk of the site i was going to get it from talked about lag issues.

My current headphones are the wireless hyperX Cloud 2 and while the static is sometimes an issue it's never been that bad so i'm not sure if that Sony would have an issue there for me.

Either way i don't really know anything about headsets lets alone ANC headsets for gaming and music so i would love to see what other people here use or would recommend based on technical knowledge that i don't have right now.

Thanks in advance

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I have used a pair of Bose 700 headphones for 5 years. They've been beaten and I've used them literally everyday for at least eight hours since the day I bought them. I can't remember a single time I never put them on. I've also never had issues with the noise cancelling, battery life, or connection problems. I connect them to my PC often with zero issues. I also prefer these over the WH-1000XM4 because the Bose come with a more neutral sound. If you like more bass, Sony will have you covered there. If you are worried about lag and nose, the newer model, the Sony WH-1000XM5's might have fixed those problems and smoothed out the bugs. If you have a service like Amazon you could always order a pair and send it back if you aren't happy with them. Hopefully that helps, take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsounded

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
I have used a pair of Bose 700 headphones for 5 years. They've been beaten and I've used them literally everyday for at least eight hours since the day I bought them. I can't remember a single time I never put them on. I've also never had issues with the noise cancelling, battery life, or connection problems. I connect them to my PC often with zero issues. I also prefer these over the WH-1000XM4 because the Bose come with a more neutral sound. If you like more bass, Sony will have you covered there. If you are worried about lag and nose, the newer model, the Sony WH-1000XM5's might have fixed those problems and smoothed out the bugs. If you have a service like Amazon you could always order a pair and send it back if you aren't happy with them. Hopefully that helps, take care.
I do remember someone mentioning a newer bose brand one as an option but i forgot the name. Something with comfort in it? Neutral sound is more of a downside for me as i love strong bass tones which the current headphones for their price range are very good in.

I have looked at the XM5 but i saw a few complaints there that make me a little worried

-The headphones creak easily if you move at all
-Your ears are likely to touch the fabric over the actual speaker inside the headphones if you do not have small ears
-The new system to set it is loose and tends to shift because of that
-Touch controls are overly sensitive

It is supposed to have better ANC than the 4 but it is also a lot more expensive so i am conflicted on that one atm. They say that the XM6 is most likely going to the best of both worlds so at the moment i'm thinking it might be better than the XM5 just because it's cheaper and supposedly more comfortable but i'm really afraid of buying one, Trying to play something with raytracing and still being able to hear the fans revving up to deal with that.

I appreciate the insight but i am still feeling conflicted atm.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
I really should have figured it out myself but the reason they warned me about delay on the XM4 is that the headphones i use atm use a 2.4ghz receiver while the xm4 just uses bluetooth which is what can cause the delay so i am assuming i'd need to find a pair that also have a reciever like that then? That seems like the issue at least.

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Just a thought here - If you are happy with your current set of HyperX Cloud 2's, you might want to consider simply buying a new CPU cooler and swapping it out for your old one. Your system would perform better, run much quieter, and it would cost significantly less than buying a new headset. You could look into something like the Noctua NH-D15, or if you want something less expensive, the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120.

If you are set on picking up a new pair of headphones, Bose released the Quiet Comfort Ultra fairly recently, which have the best ANC in the industry with updated Bluetooth 5.3 which may help with your lag problem. There aren't many 2.4GHz headsets oriented toward gaming that also have sophisticated ANC. The Razer Opus X has ANC, but it's not very good and does not have a 2.4GHz receiver. The Turtle Beach 700 does support ANC with a receiver, but again, it's not very developed ANC and the headset uses lots of cheap plastics for construction.

It's good you're doing your research for potential problems you might face with each product, but the majority of users who buy and use these products do not run into problems. Don't get too caught up in negative reviews. In reality these problems are isolated incidents. The Sony 1000XM5's, for example, have over ten thousand reviews with an average of 4.5 stars. There will always be some issues with any product, but the reviews and user experience shows the majority of buyers are satisfied with them. This applies to the XM4's and Bose headphones as well. Hope this helped, take care.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
Just a thought here - If you are happy with your current set of HyperX Cloud 2's, you might want to consider simply buying a new CPU cooler and swapping it out for your old one. Your system would perform better, run much quieter, and it would cost significantly less than buying a new headset. You could look into something like the Noctua NH-D15, or if you want something less expensive, the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120.

If you are set on picking up a new pair of headphones, Bose released the Quiet Comfort Ultra fairly recently, which have the best ANC in the industry with updated Bluetooth 5.3 which may help with your lag problem. There aren't many 2.4GHz headsets oriented toward gaming that also have sophisticated ANC. The Razer Opus X has ANC, but it's not very good and does not have a 2.4GHz receiver. The Turtle Beach 700 does support ANC with a receiver, but again, it's not very developed ANC and the headset uses lots of cheap plastics for construction.

It's good you're doing your research for potential problems you might face with each product, but the majority of users who buy and use these products do not run into problems. Don't get too caught up in negative reviews. In reality these problems are isolated incidents. The Sony 1000XM5's, for example, have over ten thousand reviews with an average of 4.5 stars. There will always be some issues with any product, but the reviews and user experience shows the majority of buyers are satisfied with them. This applies to the XM4's and Bose headphones as well. Hope this helped, take care.
I already have a "Be quiet silent loop2 360mm" in here tho. I'm not sure what would even be an upgrade to that sound wise. It's just that i'm overly sensitive to noise. More so than most people.
Yeah i have some thinking to do because atm for me it's a contest between the Arctis nova pro wireless, That bose quiet comfort ultra and the two sony xm's. Razer already has a reputation for not building things to last and i do not trust them for anything audio related.

I just wonder which one is more suited for gaming because whether the intended purpose is gaming or music might affect which is better.

My old pc actually used to have the Noctua NH-D15 in it but i did not think an aircooler like that would be able to properly cool an i9-14900k so i opted for water cooling in this pc.

One final thing i wanted to ask is whether balance issues are a thing for most people or one of those one in a thousand issues too? By balance issues i mean that i've seen a few people say that some ANC headphones really messed with their physical balance because that's all in your ears.

Last edited:

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
The NH-D15 outperforms most water coolers. But as far as your headphone selection, the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless are great gaming headphones. It really comes down to if you want general use headphones or ones specifically for gaming. The Nova Pro's will give you a better gaming experience with more gaming features, but the Bose and Sony headphones will give you more robust ANC performance and come with the benefit of being usable in more situations than gaming.

If you only want a set for video games, grab the Nova Pro. It has extremely low Bluetooth latency and has decent sound quality with ANC. If you're stuck between the Bose QuietComfort Ultra and Sony 1000XM5, then get the XM5. It has the more emphasized bass you like, and has Bluetooth 5.2, meaning you shouldn't run into problems on your PC. If you want the absolute best ANC performance, the Bose will have you covered.

As far as balancing, it's a small issue. The biggest problem you will face when using ANC headphones is a sort of pressure sensation, like pressure on your brain or in your ears. This sensation goes away once your brain gets used to the missing background noise you usually hear. Hopefully this helps narrow your selection a little more, take care.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
I think as long as the static or delay between video and audio is gone i don't need any special features. I think i have enough information to think about now until i finally make my decision. Most use would be for games and music so atm i am tending towards the XM5 based on your advice because while most of the headphones use would be for gaming i don't really care about fancy gamer extras more than good ANC, Low delay and good sound quality. I already have a proper studio mic anyway even if it's a slightly old trust emita mic.

I am also considering figuring out how to undo the overclock of my cpu because i don't think i truly need it and it might help with noise too. I think leaving it up to the turbo boost alone might be enough there.

I'm not sure about the claim that the DH-15 would be more silent than the silent loop 2 watercooler without costing performance but i'l look into that further too.

Thanks for the help so far.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
The NH-D15 outperforms most water coolers. But as far as your headphone selection, the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless are great gaming headphones. It really comes down to if you want general use headphones or ones specifically for gaming. The Nova Pro's will give you a better gaming experience with more gaming features, but the Bose and Sony headphones will give you more robust ANC performance and come with the benefit of being usable in more situations than gaming.

If you only want a set for video games, grab the Nova Pro. It has extremely low Bluetooth latency and has decent sound quality with ANC. If you're stuck between the Bose QuietComfort Ultra and Sony 1000XM5, then get the XM5. It has the more emphasized bass you like, and has Bluetooth 5.2, meaning you shouldn't run into problems on your PC. If you want the absolute best ANC performance, the Bose will have you covered.

As far as balancing, it's a small issue. The biggest problem you will face when using ANC headphones is a sort of pressure sensation, like pressure on your brain or in your ears. This sensation goes away once your brain gets used to the missing background noise you usually hear. Hopefully this helps narrow your selection a little more, take care.
Alright as i am an extremely indecisive person i have still been looking around going back and forth digging through forums and watching reviews and i wanted to ask if you are aware of/have an opinion on the Sony Inzone H9 vs that Nova pro? The Audeze Maxwell comes up to but i have not read up on that one yet.

I was almost going to buy the XM5 but i saw a lot of people say that it does not deal with sweat well and since i live in a slanted roof apartment with a large sun facing window in the summer it gets very warm in here and my headphones need to tolerate a lot of sweating from me.

I've read one too many comment saying these really are not ideal for gaming and you'd be better off getting a separate set for gaming and for traveling.

My traveling set atm is a wired version of the cloud 2 i've had for far longer than the wireless version i use for gaming now and so far i don't feel the need to switch that one out.

Edit: The nova pro seems to be the overall better headphones but it does have a high noise floor which worries me a little.

Last edited:

Latest posts