Gaming and Steam

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John Lewis wrote:

> Must be a FPS and arcade-style game-player. Dumb enough game-play
> not to need any sort of game-manual.

Tell us John, why do you hang out in this group? You seem to have a hatred
for most action games.

> For example, look at Valve's current prices on Steam for HL2, compared
> with the current retail prices. Oh... I see that they have now reduced
> the HL2 "Gold" on Steam from $89.95 to $84.95.... how very generous!!
> Babbage's standard price for the retail Collector's Edition is now
> $59.99 ( and Babbage's is NOT noted for discounts ) and typical
> pricing for the base retail HL2 is now $39.99, with sale-discounts to
> $34.99.

First, the Gold edition of HL2 has a lot more stuff included than the
rip-off retail Collector's Edition. That is why it is more expensive.
Second, HL2 still sales for $54.99 at retail stores.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645118 Just because you saw
it on sale for $39.99 doesn't make it the base price. Also, it has been
discussed
that VU told Valve they could not undercut their retail price on Steam.

jlc

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Must be a FPS and arcade-style game-player. Dumb enough game-play
>> not to need any sort of game-manual.
>
> Tell us John, why do you hang out in this group? You seem to have a hatred
> for most action games.

You know that's a very good question to ask John. When was the last time
John Lewis actually posted anything worth reading in this NG? All I've read
from him since the release of HL2 and even months before the release, was
his constant bitching about Steam. He does seem to have a hatred for all
things FPS and action games as well. He is always looking down his nose at
us FPS games as if we're all a bunch of morons. John why don't you go over
to the RPG group and stay there for awhile. Maybe you'll find some threads
there that you'll enjoy more then what this group has to offer. JLC

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:03:51 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:37:22 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
>wrote:
>
>>>Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
>>>is a liability that should never be called a firewall.
>>
>>Links, please.
>
>As you don't seem to ever of heard of www.google.com or any other
>search engine:
>http://soho.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

An Intrusion Detection System is different from a Firewall. In particular,
it can't identify rogue applications on computers other than the ones it is
installed on. (e.g. A Windows XP IDS cannot flag rogue Amiga
applications.)

Unless you are installing whatever from the internet (including Internet
Explorer auto-downloads), you don't need anything more than the SP2
firewall.

Besides, ZoneAlarm basic is cheaper.

shawk

Vince wrote:
> "Alfie [UK]" wrote
>

>>I jumped from BTO to PlusNet when BT were introducing BTY. It seems most
>>ISPs have trouble providing a Usenet feed these days :)
>

> My own provider, Blueyonder, has a perfect Internet service they don't
> guarantee Newsgroups at all.
>
> I sometimes think I miss half of the posts on this group.
>
> Now if I could only choose which half...

Lol - I hear that.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

John Lewis wrote:

> You confuse my logical $$$ objections to Steam/Valve-style
> distribution (which cripples (1) and (2) above) with a supposed
> hatred of FPS. Not all of us that enjoy computer games are
> made of money....

Yeah, it can't be continuing statements like these, "Must be a FPS and
arcade-style game-player. Dumb enough game-play
not to need any sort of game-manual."

Andrew

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:48:33 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>An Intrusion Detection System is different from a Firewall. In particular,
>it can't identify rogue applications on computers other than the ones it is
>installed on. (e.g. A Windows XP IDS cannot flag rogue Amiga
>applications.)

Mmmmmkay.

>Unless you are installing whatever from the internet (including Internet
>Explorer auto-downloads), you don't need anything more than the SP2
>firewall.

That is the attitude that has left the net the virus/trojan/spam
riddled mess it is.

>Besides, ZoneAlarm basic is cheaper.

Cheaper than free? Wow! I guess that makes sense, they would have to
pay me to use it.

Hi
While I do play FPS my favorite games are TB strategy games like CIV MOO
ect.
As far as printed manual they are mainly useless <how to install> just wast
of paper ;)
I use the in game tutorial and help files, help forums
and stratguides<if I am really into the game> to learn how tho play the
game.

> [...]
>
> Haven't seen any of the download-proponents factor in the print and
> bind (and time-wasted) cost for a DIY-on-one's-printer-manual.
> Currently included in the retail price for those games that need
> manuals --- sale price better.
>
> BTW, haven't seen many download developers offer 1 or 2-week sale
> prices... no need, they have a monopoly.
>
> For example, look at Valve's current prices on Steam for HL2, compared
> with the current retail prices. Oh... I see that they have now reduced
> the HL2 "Gold" on Steam from $89.95 to $84.95.... how very generous!!
> Babbage's standard price for the retail Collector's Edition is now
> $59.99 ( and Babbage's is NOT noted for discounts ) and typical
> pricing for the base retail HL2 is now $39.99, with sale-discounts to
> $34.99.
>
> Yeah... downloaded games is sure the way to go.....right !
> Certainly convenient ( and a useful ALTERNATE to retail ) for those
> out in the sticks with high transport costs ( and no UPS delivery ?),
> but this group does not represent the demographics of the majority
> of PC game-players. Of course, there will always be the game-fanatic
> who requires the instant gratification of download/play immediately a
> game is released ... they will be quite happy to pay any
> price....since they have no other life (apart from work.. if they
> work)...the PC/console equivalent to the TV couch-potato.
>
> John Lewis
>

>>By distributing there stuff by the inet It will alow the studios to
>>produce
>>games that would never make it in the stores<the suits only want clones of
>>what sold eg doom3 ect>
>>
>>Also allows them to deal directly with thier customers...thier customers
>><what the customer wants for expantion support eg>
>>
>>I can get them quicker i don't have to preorder at EB<another profit scam
>>;)>
>>I get it the day they release it<something Warez has better then retail
>>now>
>>I don't have to spend 2hrs of my time going to the store to find out they
>>are sold out of the 2 copys they had<do you want to put a deposit down so
>>we
>>will hold a copy for you ? ;)>
>>
>>It also allows the people who produce the games to get the profit
>>directly....
>>The courrent modle the retailers don't make thier money not by actuly
>>selling the games they rent shelf space to the Publishers /wholesallers.
>>The publishing houses make the money from the sale....
>>and the devloper gets a pitance maybe...
>>
>>Web base distribution if fast convient and allows us to pay <or not pay>
>>the
>>ones who make the games.
>>

>>"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
>>> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>>> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>>>
>>> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree
>>> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
>>> connection
>>> to play.
>>>
>>> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

shawk

Rick Ryan wrote:
> Hi
> While I do play FPS my favorite games are TB strategy games like CIV MOO
> ect.
> As far as printed manual they are mainly useless <how to install> just wast
> of paper ;)
> I use the in game tutorial and help files, help forums
> and stratguides<if I am really into the game> to learn how tho play the
> game.

As do most folk. If I want to read a book I buy something by a decent
author not a game developer.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:30:37 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> You confuse my logical $$$ objections to Steam/Valve-style
>> distribution (which cripples (1) and (2) above) with a supposed
>> hatred of FPS. Not all of us that enjoy computer games are
>> made of money....
>
>Yeah, it can't be continuing statements like these, "Must be a FPS and
>arcade-style game-player. Dumb enough game-play
>not to need any sort of game-manual."

Don't like the word "dumb" ? Offensive to the fragile ego ?

Just for you, I will substitute the word "Simple".... OK...

OTOH, "Simple" can be read other ways too.... Oh, well....

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Don't like the word "dumb" ? Offensive to the fragile ego ?
>
> Just for you, I will substitute the word "Simple".... OK...
>
> OTOH, "Simple" can be read other ways too.... Oh, well....

Speaking of dumb, it looks like you once again ran away when someone called
you on your Jonah Falcon like claims. Still waiting for proof that HL2 MSRP
is $39.99.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:35:29 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Don't like the word "dumb" ? Offensive to the fragile ego ?
>>
>> Just for you, I will substitute the word "Simple".... OK...
>>
>> OTOH, "Simple" can be read other ways too.... Oh, well....
>
>Speaking of dumb, it looks like you once again ran away when someone called
>you on your Jonah Falcon like claims. Still waiting for proof that HL2 MSRP
>is $39.99.

Sorry, not MSRP...

Fry's just offer it every 2-3 weeks or so at that price...so, who
cares about MSRP.... Anyway, who in their right mind would
ever buy this game at full price ?

My local Costco has a pile of 20-25 at $49.99 which ain't moving
( I visit my local Costco a couple of times a week). The pile might
have lost 4 or 5 in the past month... Should soon either disappear
(to be replaced by something more customer-desirable) or be
severely marked-down to clear stock.

Babbage's STANDARD in-store price on the Collector's Edition
is indeed $59.99. My local Babbage's has one lonely copy on the
shelf that still has not moved in 3 weeks...

Oh, well. HL2 is now passe..... Should soon be budget (er.... GOTY)
at $19.99. Hopefully with Steam removed (but with the usual
CD/DVD copy-protection)... if so, I MIGHT just buy it.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Sorry, not MSRP...
>
> Fry's just offer it every 2-3 weeks or so at that price...so, who
> cares about MSRP.... Anyway, who in their right mind would
> ever buy this game at full price ?

Who in their right mind would buy the bug infested Vampires: The
Masquerade-Bloodlines at full price?

> My local Costco has a pile of 20-25 at $49.99 which ain't moving
> ( I visit my local Costco a couple of times a week). The pile might
> have lost 4 or 5 in the past month... Should soon either disappear
> (to be replaced by something more customer-desirable) or be
> severely marked-down to clear stock.
>
> Babbage's STANDARD in-store price on the Collector's Edition
> is indeed $59.99. My local Babbage's has one lonely copy on the
> shelf that still has not moved in 3 weeks...
>
> Oh, well. HL2 is now passe..... Should soon be budget (er.... GOTY)
> at $19.99. Hopefully with Steam removed (but with the usual
> CD/DVD copy-protection)... if so, I MIGHT just buy it.

Same old, same old.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:08:25 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Sorry, not MSRP...
>>
>> Fry's just offer it every 2-3 weeks or so at that price...so, who
>> cares about MSRP.... Anyway, who in their right mind would
>> ever buy this game at full price ?
>
>Who in their right mind would buy the bug infested Vampires: The
>Masquerade-Bloodlines at full price?

I didn't.... $39.99 on sale 1 week after release ( EBX price-matching
Fry's ) .... great game...the patch took care of the significant bugs.
Have you played it, or are you just regurgitating hear-say, or maybe
that sort of game is just too challenging for you ?

>> My local Costco has a pile of 20-25 at $49.99 which ain't moving
>> ( I visit my local Costco a couple of times a week). The pile might
>> have lost 4 or 5 in the past month... Should soon either disappear
>> (to be replaced by something more customer-desirable) or be
>> severely marked-down to clear stock.
>>
>> Babbage's STANDARD in-store price on the Collector's Edition
>> is indeed $59.99. My local Babbage's has one lonely copy on the
>> shelf that still has not moved in 3 weeks...
>>
>> Oh, well. HL2 is now passe..... Should soon be budget (er.... GOTY)
>> at $19.99. Hopefully with Steam removed (but with the usual
>> CD/DVD copy-protection)... if so, I MIGHT just buy it.
>
>Same old, same old.

Have your postings added anything useful at all with regard to the
subject-line? I haven't noticed....

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> Have you played it, or are you just regurgitating hear-say

Irony or hypocrisy--you decide.

> or maybe
> that sort of game is just too challenging for you ?

Duh, a light switch?
I may buy it when it drops to $30. I'm not into vampires so the game isn't
on my highest priority.

> Have your postings added anything useful at all with regard to the
> subject-line? I haven't noticed....

Probably not. I'm just here to be a smart ass.

>>Who in their right mind would buy the bug infested Vampires: The
>>Masquerade-Bloodlines at full price?
>

> I didn't....

Did he say you did?

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:26:39 GMT, non_sequitur <non_sequitur@att.com>
wrote:

>>>Who in their right mind would buy the bug infested Vampires: The
>>>Masquerade-Bloodlines at full price?
>>

>> I didn't....
>
>Did he say you did?

He knew already that I did buy it. Then assuming that I bought it at
full price......... Not many discount sales where he lives.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:

> He knew already that I did buy it. Then assuming that I bought it at
> full price......... Not many discount sales where he lives.

You mean it went on sale a week after it was released? Man you started a
thread when HL2 went on sale over a month after it was released. IIRC, you
claimed no one was buying the game so everyone had to mark the game down
just to get it to sell. Funny how your claims against HL2 doesn't count
against games you champion. Come to think of it, I'm still waiting for the
demo of Vampires and Riddick.