Question Gaming build at 1440p, need help with selecting parts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Looking to build a new computer for gaming at 1440p. Currently running 8700k, 1080ti, 16gm ram. Would just need the main components, don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Haven't really kept up with the latest news on hardware. I know gpu prices have been pretty high, have those been coming down any? What video card would I need to see a noticeable increase over my current 1080ti? 3060? 3070? 3080ti?

Part of me wants to go all out on this build. But also at same time, don't want to spend 3,4 or 5k dollars. Don't plan on doing any watercooling unless certain cpu's absolutely require some type of watercooling. I have never messed with water cooling before.

Any reason to wait to build? New hardware coming out soon? I may not "need" to upgrade but been getting the itch to upgrade

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

When I asked about clearance, I was referring to clearance for the cpu heatsink and the ram. The noctua is a big heatsink and have read could have issues with clearance for ram if its not low profile ram.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks for the help so far. I did make a few changes from my original build. I did decide to get the 12700k instead of the 12900k. One reason I was going with and still not ruled out the 12900k is because I want this build to last me a while and eventually I may upgrade to 4k. Although I am guessing this build would still be able to handle 4k with the 12700k. But am concerned about the heat it produces even though I would be using the noctua cooler. Most likely I will go with the 12700k, guessing going DDR5 instead of DDR4 would be more "future proof" over the cpu?

Also decided to go with a mid tower. Comparing mid towers to my full tower Antec 1200, mid towers are not really that much smaller. Depth wise, most are deeper than the Antec 1200. On the Lian Li III case, would I "need" to add any addition fans or is the cooling more than adequate like it is?

The total price on pcpartpicker does not reflect the combo price for the cpu, ram and motherboard and for some reason, pcpartpicker does not show the price for the Lian Li case. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Don't think I mentioned this but am running 2 1440p monitors, the one I game on is a Dell 144hz with g sync.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mCsNY9

Last edited:
Thanks for the help so far. I did make a few changes from my original build. I did decide to get the 12700k instead of the 12900k. One reason I was going with and still not ruled out the 12900k is because I want this build to last me a while and eventually I may upgrade to 4k. Although I am guessing this build would still be able to handle 4k with the 12700k. But am concerned about the heat it produces even though I would be using the noctua cooler. Most likely I will go with the 12700k, guessing going DDR5 instead of DDR4 would be more "future proof" over the cpu?

Also decided to go with a mid tower. Comparing mid towers to my full tower Antec 1200, mid towers are not really that much smaller. Depth wise, most are deeper than the Antec 1200. On the Lian Li III case, would I "need" to add any addition fans or is the cooling more than adequate like it is?

The total price on pcpartpicker does not reflect the combo price for the cpu, ram and motherboard and for some reason, pcpartpicker does not show the price for the Lian Li case. Not sure what the deal with that is.

Don't think I mentioned this but am running 2 1440p monitors, the one I game on is a Dell 144hz with g sync.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mCsNY9
The higher the resolution the more the game becomes gpu dependent and less cpu dependent. The Lian Li III needs no extra case fans ... that case comes with 3x140mm fans up front and a rear 1x140mm exhaust fan ... so you're good there. The combo deal is a Newegg only thing so that's the reason it doesn't show up on pc partpicker.

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
The higher the resolution the more the game becomes gpu dependent and less cpu dependent. The Lian Li III needs no extra case fans ... that case comes with 3x140mm fans up front and a rear 1x140mm exhaust fan ... so you're good there. The combo deal is a Newegg only thing so that's the reason it doesn't show up on pc partpicker.

The price for the Lian Li case doesn't show up either. You said it has just been released so maybe that is why.

I have the opportunity to get a 3090 gpu for $900, don't know the details on the card yet as far as what brand or anything. I will find that out soon though. I know the performance increase is not really that much over a 3080ti but I can get for same price as a 3080ti so why not. My question is would a 1000 watt psu be enough for the 3090 or would I be better off upgrading to a 1200 watt?

Looking to build a new computer for gaming at 1440p. Currently running 8700k, 1080ti, 16gm ram. Would just need the main components, don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Haven't really kept up with the latest news on hardware. I know gpu prices have been pretty high, have those been coming down any? What video card would I need to see a noticeable increase over my current 1080ti? 3060? 3070? 3080ti?

Part of me wants to go all out on this build. But also at same time, don't want to spend 3,4 or 5k dollars. Don't plan on doing any watercooling unless certain cpu's absolutely require some type of watercooling. I have never messed with water cooling before.

Any reason to wait to build? New hardware coming out soon? I may not "need" to upgrade but been getting the itch to upgrade
Be aware that the first Nvidia 40 series card (4090) releases in October and they are expected to be a significant upgrade. New AMD CPU's will release next month and 13th gen Intel CPU's are expected in October as well.

Intel's new CPU's will add more efficiency cores and have small improvements in IPC to the P cores. The gains in gaming for a 13700K for example over a 12700K are expected to be small, 5-15%.

I wouldn't get anything less than a 12700K or 5900X for a premium build right now. I see your still considering a Core i9 12900K, this will not help you with gaming because it has the same number of P cores as the 12700K, the efficiency cores hurt gaming performance when used with the P cores. The Windows scheduler avoids them for gaming tasks. The 12900K is also like a little nuclear reactor.

If you lacked any sense I would recommend the 5950X instead as that is much easy to control than the 12900K and all 16 cores are the same so avoids the efficiency core issue. If your going for an AIO I would recommend at least a 280mm.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Be aware that the first Nvidia 40 series card (4090) releases in October and they are expected to be a significant upgrade. New AMD CPU's will release next month and 13th gen Intel CPU's are expected in October as well.

Intel's new CPU's will add more efficiency cores and have small improvements in IPC to the P cores. The gains in gaming for a 13700K for example over a 12700K are expected to be small, 5-15%.

I wouldn't get anything less than a 12700K or 5900X for a premium build right now. I see your still considering a Core i9 12900K, this will not help you with gaming because it has the same number of P cores as the 12700K, the efficiency cores hurt gaming performance when used with the P cores. The Windows scheduler avoids them for gaming tasks. The 12900K is also like a little nuclear reactor.

If you lacked any sense I would recommend the 5950X instead as that is much easy to control than the 12900K and all 16 cores are the same so avoids the efficiency core issue. If your going for an AIO I would recommend at least a 280mm.

I have seen many people say to wait for the 40 series cards and I have thought about it. But at same time, comes to a point where one has to decide to just build and not wait. In the computer world, always something better right around the corner it seems. My thinking is if I did wait for the 40 series, while they may release in October, guessing it would be a good idea to not buy when it is first released, wait until the bugs are worked out. Again, more waiting. Now this is something I don't have to do right now. But the thing with me and probably true for many others is I get something in my mind, I don't really want to wait. I get that itch to upgrade and get impatient.

On the cpu, I don't really get the deal with the efficiency cores. Have not really done that much reading on this but I would think gaming wise, would be better off with all cores being the same. Never used AMD, always used Intel. Nothing against AMD at all. For me, its more of a mind thing, always used Intel and have a hard time going with anything else.

For the AIO, I don't plan on going that route at all. I don't like the idea of having liquid near all the parts. I leave my computer running while unattended alot and would worry that something would happen like spring a leak or fail. Although I am sure that is pretty rare to happen but still don't like the idea of it.

I have seen many people say to wait for the 40 series cards and I have thought about it. But at same time, comes to a point where one has to decide to just build and not wait. In the computer world, always something better right around the corner it seems. My thinking is if I did wait for the 40 series, while they may release in October, guessing it would be a good idea to not buy when it is first released, wait until the bugs are worked out. Again, more waiting. Now this is something I don't have to do right now. But the thing with me and probably true for many others is I get something in my mind, I don't really want to wait. I get that itch to upgrade and get impatient.

On the cpu, I don't really get the deal with the efficiency cores. Have not really done that much reading on this but I would think gaming wise, would be better off with all cores being the same. Never used AMD, always used Intel. Nothing against AMD at all. For me, its more of a mind thing, always used Intel and have a hard time going with anything else.

For the AIO, I don't plan on going that route at all. I don't like the idea of having liquid near all the parts. I leave my computer running while unattended alot and would worry that something would happen like spring a leak or fail. Although I am sure that is pretty rare to happen but still don't like the idea of it.
I completely understand about the waiting, I waited for months to get a 5900X when they released and eventually got fed up and just bought an i9 10850K instead, you should just be aware of the facts that's all.

Hardware Unboxed did some extensive testing with Alder Lake, the efficiency cores were of little benefit right now in gaming. Games perform best when they run only on the P cores and the Windows 11 scheduler has been optimised to run games on the P core's for this reason. As the main difference between the 12700K and 12900K is 4 E cores unless there are specific software optimisations to use them better it's unlikely that the 12900K will have any greater longevity.

That doesn't mean it's not worth having it, it's just not going to boost your frame rate in games. Or rather it will by the tiniest margin due to the higher clocks. If you want Intel then get Intel, the i7 and i9 are both excellent CPU's.

I've never had a problem with AIO's even when running the same one for over 6 years. However if you're leaving you computer unattended a lot while it's on then an air cooler is a sensible way to go.

The price for the Lian Li case doesn't show up either. You said it has just been released so maybe that is why.

I have the opportunity to get a 3090 gpu for $900, don't know the details on the card yet as far as what brand or anything. I will find that out soon though. I know the performance increase is not really that much over a 3080ti but I can get for same price as a 3080ti so why not. My question is would a 1000 watt psu be enough for the 3090 or would I be better off upgrading to a 1200 watt?
1000w will suffice for a 3090.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I completely understand about the waiting, I waited for months to get a 5900X when they released and eventually got fed up and just bought an i9 10850K instead, you should just be aware of the facts that's all.

Hardware Unboxed did some extensive testing with Alder Lake, the efficiency cores were of little benefit right now in gaming. Games perform best when they run only on the P cores and the Windows 11 scheduler has been optimised to run games on the P core's for this reason. As the main difference between the 12700K and 12900K is 4 E cores unless there are specific software optimisations to use them better it's unlikely that the 12900K will have any greater longevity.

That doesn't mean it's not worth having it, it's just not going to boost your frame rate in games. Or rather it will by the tiniest margin due to the higher clocks. If you want Intel then get Intel, the i7 and i9 are both excellent CPU's.

I've never had a problem with AIO's even when running the same one for over 6 years. However if you're leaving you computer unattended a lot while it's on then an air cooler is a sensible way to go.

When I first started putting together a build and seen these new intel cpu's have efficiency cores, I thought in the back of my mind I would rather have a cpu where all the cores are the same. If I was to consider AMD, what cpu will be on par with the 12700k? This is more of a mind thing with me but I have never used amd so not familiar with it. And for that reason, makes me not want to consider amd at all.

Last edited:
When I first started putting together a build and seen these new intel cpu's have efficiency cores, I thought in the back of my mind I would rather have a cpu where all the cores are the same. If I was to consider AMD, what cpu will be on par with the 12700k? This is more of a mind thing with me but I have never used amd so not familiar with it. And for that reason, makes me not want to consider amd at all.
The 5900X would be the equivalent to the 12700K and around the same price. However the 12700K today will churn out slightly higher frame rates than the 5900X in most cases. Sometimes significantly such as Cybperpunk, but usually not by much. This is because it's P cores have slightly higher IPC and slightly higher clocks than the 5900X. It would be impossible to predict whether the fact that AMD having the same cores would provide any advantage years down the line in gaming. In the here and now though 12th gen Intel is the gaming king and it's perhaps most likely to stay that way.

I wouldn't want to put you off the 12700K, it's a fine chip. It's just I've seen posts on here and youtubers sometimes suggesting that the 12900K would have better longevity in high end gaming. That has certainly been the case with the previous i9's (9900K) vs the i7's (9700K) and i7's (8700K) vs the i5's (8600K). It's just based on the data available today, that doesn't look likely in this instance.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
The 5900X would be the equivalent to the 12700K and around the same price. However the 12700K today will churn out slightly higher frame rates than the 5900X in most cases. Sometimes significantly such as Cybperpunk, but usually not by much. This is because it's P cores have slightly higher IPC and slightly higher clocks than the 5900X. It would be impossible to predict whether the fact that AMD having the same cores would provide any advantage years down the line in gaming. In the here and now though 12th gen Intel is the gaming king and it's perhaps most likely to stay that way.

I wouldn't want to put you off the 12700K, it's a fine chip. It's just I've seen posts on here and youtubers sometimes suggesting that the 12900K would have better longevity in high end gaming. That has certainly been the case with the previous i9's (9900K) vs the i7's (9700K) and i7's (8700K) vs the i5's (8600K). It's just based on the data available today, that doesn't look likely in this instance.

That is one reason I was considering getting the 12900k over the 12700k. Once I do this build, I don't plan on doing anything major to it for a good while. I just have to decide myself if I want to spend the extra for the 12900k. I have read that the only real major difference between the 12700k and the 12900k is the amount of e cores.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

I don't quite understand the reason behind having 3 intake fans but only 1 exhaust fan. To me, logically I would of thought that you would want just as many or more exhaust fans as intake fans. I am sure many cases probably just have 1 exhaust fan but I just don't get it.

That is one reason I was considering getting the 12900k over the 12700k. Once I do this build, I don't plan on doing anything major to it for a good while. I just have to decide myself if I want to spend the extra for the 12900k. I have read that the only real major difference between the 12700k and the 12900k is the amount of e cores.
That's correct the biggest difference is the addition of 4 more E cores and larger L2 and L3 cache. The latter actually can be beneficial in gaming but depends on the game. The clock speed differences are too small to be meaningfully and only make the 12900K hotter.

Though, there is something to be said for just having the top chip.

I don't quite understand the reason behind having 3 intake fans but only 1 exhaust fan. To me, logically I would of thought that you would want just as many or more exhaust fans as intake fans. I am sure many cases probably just have 1 exhaust fan but I just don't get it.
Yes most cases have 1 exhaust though bare in mind if you have an AIO they are exhausting air as well.

The reason why most PC's prioritise a greater number of intake fans is to create positive air pressure within the case. This helps to reduce the dust build up within the PC.

https://www.titanrig.com/blog/post/pc-guides-positive-pressure-how-and-why

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
What ever I decide to do, I need to decide soon and not worry about it. I know what can happen, specs for the new 40 series cards will come out and will make me want to buy that driving myself even crazier lol. I know if I build now with the 3090, I can always upgrade to the 40 series later but then the question becomes will a 1000 watt be enough for the 40 series especially the higher end cards?

What ever I decide to do, I need to decide soon and not worry about it. I know what can happen, specs for the new 40 series cards will come out and will make me want to buy that driving myself even crazier lol. I know if I build now with the 3090, I can always upgrade to the 40 series later but then the question becomes will a 1000 watt be enough for the 40 series especially the higher end cards?
Won't know until the reviews but something tells me 'think big'.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I need to stop looking lol. Looked at 120 watt psu and the Corsair has the hx1200 for $215 after a mail in rebate(hate them with a passion) on newegg. Even without the rebate, it is still cheaper than the hx1000. Guessing that would be a no brainer

Just another opinion.

Cpu....12700
Gpu....3080
Ram....2x16GB@3600
Psu....quality 850w

That's not best of the best but it won't be too far wrong.

If you have an unlimited budget or you want bragging rights that's different.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I am on the fence about whether to get a contact frame. Some say its "needed", others say its not.

On the case I have selected Lian Li Lancool III, would I be able to vertical mount the gpu? And if so, would I need to buy anything extra or would the case come with what is needed?