Question Gaming headsets

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have never purchased a gaming headset before. My son put that on his list of items. I know he has a Switch, but also has an older PC that he could game with.

I am looking at a set of JBL Quantum wired and it has the "all in one" 3.5mm jack on it. It specifies it will plug directly into a Switch and some of the gaming console controllers (I think he currently has a Play Station). The PC that he has is older and has separate plugs for the speakers and microphone. I am looking online and see "splitters" which I think are to work (2) headphones, but don't know what the "adapter" would be called that would split the speakers and mic for plugging into the more legacy PC.

As an aside, what manner of recommends would you make for an inexpensive set? Perhaps in the up to ~$50 range.

I have never purchased a gaming headset before. My son put that on his list of items. I know he has a Switch, but also has an older PC that he could game with.

I am looking at a set of JBL Quantum wired and it has the "all in one" 3.5mm jack on it. It specifies it will plug directly into a Switch and some of the gaming console controllers (I think he currently has a Play Station). The PC that he has is older and has separate plugs for the speakers and microphone. I am looking online and see "splitters" which I think are to work (2) headphones, but don't know what the "adapter" would be called that would split the speakers and mic for plugging into the more legacy PC.

As an aside, what manner of recommends would you make for an inexpensive set? Perhaps in the up to ~$50 range.

Don’t know how it currently works but the switch I believe needs to go through a phone for voice chat? It was like that at launch where you have to download an app to enable it. Not really sure how it works.

It’s just splitting the two signals so it should be fine. You also might be able to find a USB adapter (like this KiWiBiRD USB to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter, USB to Headphone and Microphone Jack, Gaming Headset USB Aux Adapter, TRRS 4-pole, External Sound Card Compatible with MacBook, Surface, PS4, Laptop https://amzn.eu/d/fKWMuoV) too though maybe you should look towards a Bluetooth headset? I know the switch supports Bluetooth audio now.

Maybe something like the Arctis 3 from steelseries?